PDA

View Full Version : Battle of the 1 Ton Dump Trucks Ford v. Chevy, Electric v. PTO, Manual v. Auto

BuffaloLandscaping
02-02-2009, 01:01 AM
Hi All Again,

I hate to bother you guys with another truck question but here it is for those who wish to respond. Just learned that I pretty much have to have Commercial insurance so a dump truck is a feasible option for me again. It would have to be a 1 ton & not larger due to zoning in my town & I just don't need larger as I won't be hauling anything all that heavy/ not towing anything heavy. I don't want smaller either as I want a DRW dump truck (SRW dumps just seem odd to me).

As in my last truck post, I have bias towards Ford but will not be plowing with a dump truck as I'd rather get a better deal on a 4x2 (fine 6x4 :)) so the Chevy's IFS may be less of an issue. Again, Dodge is not a consideration nor is a diesel (gasp). ;) I'd like to spend between $4-7K, ideally so I'm throwing-out vehicles that fit that range.

I'd like opinions on the following:

1993-97 Ford F350 4x2 Dump
1995-99 Chevy C3500 Dump (Chevys seem to be cheaper hence newer range & I hate the pre-95 interiors so the only way I can stomach a Chevy is 95-00)

350/351 v. 454/460

Auto v. Manual

Electric v. PTO

Assume original engines 100 - 125K for the above examples. I'm just looking for pros/cons on each as I think this is a little fairer fight than the plow trucks.

Thanks for the thoughts,

Dave

stuvecorp
02-02-2009, 02:13 AM
A 450 looks the same as a 350 but with way more capacity, would think that is a better option. I would go with an auto and just get the electric hoist, not like you are hauling like a big truck. Try to save up more and get a newer truck if you can.

BuffaloLandscaping
02-02-2009, 02:32 AM
A 450 looks the same as a 350 but with way more capacity, would think that is a better option. I would go with an auto and just get the electric hoist, not like you are hauling like a big truck. Try to save up more and get a newer truck if you can.

The problem with a 450 is it will be stored in my driveway & is technically not allowed due to zoning restrictions banning over 1 ton vehicles. In my neighborhood there are several 1 ton vehicles in driveways but nothing over 1 ton so I'm not gonna push it. Also, I simply don't need it.

My qualms about electric is the speed, I only have experience with electric & it was definitely slow. I have heard PTO is significantly faster but in the trucks I'm looking at, it seems electric is predominant.

Eventually, I'd love to have a new(er) truck but I need to start small (cheap) & work my way there. Thanks for the reply.

Dave

stuvecorp
02-02-2009, 02:43 AM
My 450 has electric telescopic hoist and seems faster than the 350 with a electric scissor hoist. I have used the 450 on sites as a haul truck but for the most part it wasn't that bad. I don't like those rules with 'work' trucks in developments.

BuffaloLandscaping
02-02-2009, 02:50 AM
My 450 has electric telescopic hoist and seems faster than the 350 with a electric scissor hoist. I have used the 450 on sites as a haul truck but for the most part it wasn't that bad. I don't like those rules with 'work' trucks in developments.

Thanks for the input on the electric hoist. The rules apply to the entire town, not just developments. The neighborhood I grew up it was really bad with the only guy having a work truck hiding it behind a fence because he thought people would say something. My current neighborhood is very blue collar so people would never say anything but I don't want to draw any unneeded attention to myself. ;)

Swampy
02-02-2009, 03:45 AM
Personally look a old FSuperDuty, commonly a 4x2 in a 5spd, for that time frame which is basically a F350 on roids really and a PTO scissors will out power a electric dump in those commonly in those years. But I believe they are only availble in the 7.3L Diesels, Gravel Rat will probably correct me but a FSuperDuty was only about 1,000lbs heavier for those years as well, just compare it to todays standards.

BuffaloLandscaping
02-02-2009, 11:22 AM
Personally look a old FSuperDuty, commonly a 4x2 in a 5spd, for that time frame which is basically a F350 on roids really and a PTO scissors will out power a electric dump in those commonly in those years. But I believe they are only availble in the 7.3L Diesels, Gravel Rat will probably correct me but a FSuperDuty was only about 1,000lbs heavier for those years as well, just compare it to todays standards.

OK, OK. You've convinced me to look at an F-Super Duty after my initial resistance. :hammerhead:

'93 - '97 F- Super Dutys were all 4x2 & either a 460 or 7.3. I also believe they weren't that much heavier but I do wonder about insurance because they are over 1 ton. Anyone know how that affects insurance??

Thanks,

Dave

J&R Landscaping
02-02-2009, 12:46 PM
The commercial insurance is decently cheap. It shouldnt be much more to insure a superduty over a 350.

Some of the older C3500's had a 15000 GVW so I would look at one of them too!

BuffaloLandscaping
02-02-2009, 01:40 PM
The commercial insurance is decently cheap. It shouldnt be much more to insure a superduty over a 350.

Some of the older C3500's had a 15000 GVW so I would look at one of them too!

Thanks for the info on insurance. I know the truck you speak of the C3500 HD, which to me is a weird truck in that it is considerably less popular (as is the 454 in general & a 6.5 diesel I would never consider, ever) than the F-Super Duty & the execution is a little off as well. The filler panel between the bumper & grill always seemed like hackery to me but again, I'm somewhat biased. :):rolleyes:

Thanks for the suggestion though.

Dave

Albery's Lawn & Tractor
02-02-2009, 01:47 PM
I think if your gonna stay in that budget range to just take what you can get. Superduty are great trucks for what they are.

Gravel Rat
02-02-2009, 02:53 PM
I wouldn't fool around with a regular F-350 they just don't have the payload capacity or the braking power. As the others said go with a F-Superduty they can be had for fairly cheap your looking at a 2wd so a F-Superduty will do you fine. Nobody will tell the truck is bigger if your going with a OBS Ford it has 16 inch wheels it looks like a 4x4 from a distance because of the leaf springs and mono beam front axle.

One the truck has a 15,000lb gvw usually with a dump body they weigh 8000lbs empty so that gives you a payload of 7000lbs more or less. A F-350 weighs 7000lbs empty and only gives you a payload of 5000lbs at most.

As for hoist PTO is always the best way to go second is a clutch pump the last choice is electric/hydraulic which is slow as mollassis and if your doing repetitive dumps it will wear down your battery(s).

I would still run a F-Superduty today they haul a good load allot more than what the gvw says don't tell the DOT but I have been 3000lbs overweight :laugh:

The problems I have and I had 3 of them is the 16 inch tires don't last our roads are twisty the F-Superduty eats tires and what do you expect its a 15,000lb gvw truck the tires are maxed out when you put a good load on it. The duals on the back with E rated rubber at 80 PSI just meet the 11,000lb axle capacity and I mean just you have 80lb tire capacity left. The steer tires really peal off a LTX M/S Michelin would only last me 11,000 miles.

The 3rd is the braking power yes it has 4 wheel disk brakes but for the load the truck can actually carry the braking is maxed out. So you really have to becarefull not to overload the truck easy to-do when you flop 6000lbs of gravel on it and you can't tell the truck is loaded. I hauled lumber for a mill and the mill owner was amazed what I could haul.

They can haul the loads but have trouble stopping the load so mint shape brakes is a must if you can get the best brake rotors and brake pads you can get it helps. Cheap brake pads on a F-Superduty is a :nono:

I don't tow with my trucks because a trailer is useless in a area like where I live. So anything you want to carry into a jobsite has to go on the back of the truck.

The best hauling truck I had was a 88 F-Superduty with 460 5spd the loads I hauled on that truck like 9000lbs of gravel. With the 460 gas is lighter than the 7.3 IDI or PSD so that equals more payload but boy did it drink fuel. The 6mpg was hard to swallow but you couldn't kill that engine. I had to watch the clutch thou a 11 inch clutch in a truck grossing 18,000lbs was pushing more than what it was intended for. I'am a smooth shifter and easy on clutches I didn't have a problem but you could slip and burn the clutch under that kind of load.

I wouldn't reccommend the 3500HD Chevy they had problems with the king pins and the earlier ones had frame problems.

Anyhow you want a work truck go with a PSD powered F-Superduty the 460 trucks are good too if you don't mind their thirst for gasoline. The engine screams feed me :dizzy:

The IDI powered trucks are okay but they are pretty slow your not going to win any races. My best F-Superduty was the 95 with PSD power had lots of power I sold the truck because it seen a rough life before I got it. The best year to find would be a 97 PSD the engine was the best year plus the truck came standard with a detroit locker not many traction problems.

Good Luck with your decision.

12Valve
02-02-2009, 02:59 PM
Just got a 96 FSuperduty with a nice 12'pto dump. Clean, soild old truck. Paid $7500 its got 149k with a 5spd and a 7.3 Powerstroke. Only bad thing is its got 5.13gears witch is still too low for me.

Put you some F350 decals on it and no one will everknow its bigger than a 1ton

Gravel Rat
02-02-2009, 03:17 PM
The F-Superduty PSD with the 5:13s are geared for pulling my 95 had 4:63s and that was just right the 89 IDI I had was 5:13s there was lots of pulling power but no road speed. My 88 F-Superduty with 460 gas had 4:63s that worked good too.

Only two gear choices in the F-Superduty the 4:63 and 5:13 the Dana 80 is a heavier built made for Ford. If you have a truck with a E4OD automatic the engine is going to scream. All my trucks had 5 spds a automatic equiped F-Superduty was rare they mostly came with 5 spds its the opposite in the USA the 5spd trucks are rare. Back in the day the F-Superduty was built you had to order a automatic equiped truck dealers only stocked manual transmissions.

Swampy
02-02-2009, 06:27 PM
The F-Superduty PSD with the 5:13s are geared for pulling my 95 had 4:63s and that was just right the 89 IDI I had was 5:13s there was lots of pulling power but no road speed. My 88 F-Superduty with 460 gas had 4:63s that worked good too.

Only two gear choices in the F-Superduty the 4:63 and 5:13 the Dana 80 is a heavier built made for Ford. If you have a truck with a E4OD automatic the engine is going to scream. All my trucks had 5 spds a automatic equiped F-Superduty was rare they mostly came with 5 spds its the opposite in the USA the 5spd trucks are rare. Back in the day the F-Superduty was built you had to order a automatic equiped truck dealers only stocked manual transmissions.

At my job we had the a 94 SuperDuty with the 5:13's and it was a tank to get up to any speed on the freeway. Now I think about it the top speed was about 62-63mph going down hill. If I can recall that year didn't have rear disks but rear drums, had a guy that was working under me roached all the brakes in the truck but what GR said when its time to do brakes spend the cash and get the high end stuff. Our SuperDuty came from a logging operation in Northern Michagin and it was 2 years old when they got rid of it because it didn't have outriggers we ran it till 2007 until my boss sold it for about 8K and he's still kicking himself for doing that.

BuffaloLandscaping
02-02-2009, 07:08 PM
I think if your gonna stay in that budget range to just take what you can get. Superduty are great trucks for what they are.

That's great advice & likely I will if I decide to give it a go because my time frame will be tight to obtain one.

BuffaloLandscaping
02-02-2009, 07:17 PM
I wouldn't fool around with a regular F-350 they just don't have the payload capacity or the braking power. As the others said go with a F-Superduty they can be had for fairly cheap your looking at a 2wd so a F-Superduty will do you fine. Nobody will tell the truck is bigger if your going with a OBS Ford it has 16 inch wheels it looks like a 4x4 from a distance because of the leaf springs and mono beam front axle.

One the truck has a 15,000lb gvw usually with a dump body they weigh 8000lbs empty so that gives you a payload of 7000lbs more or less. A F-350 weighs 7000lbs empty and only gives you a payload of 5000lbs at most.

As for hoist PTO is always the best way to go second is a clutch pump the last choice is electric/hydraulic which is slow as mollassis and if your doing repetitive dumps it will wear down your battery(s).

I would still run a F-Superduty today they haul a good load allot more than what the gvw says don't tell the DOT but I have been 3000lbs overweight :laugh:

The problems I have and I had 3 of them is the 16 inch tires don't last our roads are twisty the F-Superduty eats tires and what do you expect its a 15,000lb gvw truck the tires are maxed out when you put a good load on it. The duals on the back with E rated rubber at 80 PSI just meet the 11,000lb axle capacity and I mean just you have 80lb tire capacity left. The steer tires really peal off a LTX M/S Michelin would only last me 11,000 miles.

The 3rd is the braking power yes it has 4 wheel disk brakes but for the load the truck can actually carry the braking is maxed out. So you really have to becarefull not to overload the truck easy to-do when you flop 6000lbs of gravel on it and you can't tell the truck is loaded. I hauled lumber for a mill and the mill owner was amazed what I could haul.

They can haul the loads but have trouble stopping the load so mint shape brakes is a must if you can get the best brake rotors and brake pads you can get it helps. Cheap brake pads on a F-Superduty is a :nono:

I don't tow with my trucks because a trailer is useless in a area like where I live. So anything you want to carry into a jobsite has to go on the back of the truck.

The best hauling truck I had was a 88 F-Superduty with 460 5spd the loads I hauled on that truck like 9000lbs of gravel. With the 460 gas is lighter than the 7.3 IDI or PSD so that equals more payload but boy did it drink fuel. The 6mpg was hard to swallow but you couldn't kill that engine. I had to watch the clutch thou a 11 inch clutch in a truck grossing 18,000lbs was pushing more than what it was intended for. I'am a smooth shifter and easy on clutches I didn't have a problem but you could slip and burn the clutch under that kind of load.

I wouldn't reccommend the 3500HD Chevy they had problems with the king pins and the earlier ones had frame problems.

Anyhow you want a work truck go with a PSD powered F-Superduty the 460 trucks are good too if you don't mind their thirst for gasoline. The engine screams feed me :dizzy:

The IDI powered trucks are okay but they are pretty slow your not going to win any races. My best F-Superduty was the 95 with PSD power had lots of power I sold the truck because it seen a rough life before I got it. The best year to find would be a 97 PSD the engine was the best year plus the truck came standard with a detroit locker not many traction problems.

Good Luck with your decision.

I agree with 16's, no one would be able to tell. The new ones & their 19.5s, no way. The 460 gas issue does concern me quite a bit. I have driven my Uncle's 00 F-350 4x4 V10/Auto & that thing was bad. I guess I'll reconsider the "compression ignition" option. A PSD would be an issue for me because as I said, this will be stored in my driveway along the property line & my neighbor's house is only 6 ft. away (50's neighborhood). My neighbors are cool but the 94.5-97 PSDs are ungodly loud. The IDI isn't too bad & speed doesn't matter as I won't be going over 40 (also like the lack of turbo for reliability). Thanks very much for this detailed review! :cool2:

BuffaloLandscaping
02-02-2009, 07:21 PM
Just got a 96 FSuperduty with a nice 12'pto dump. Clean, soild old truck. Paid $7500 its got 149k with a 5spd and a 7.3 Powerstroke. Only bad thing is its got 5.13gears witch is still too low for me.

Put you some F350 decals on it and no one will everknow its bigger than a 1ton

Ah... I'll just "pretend" that was my original idea if anyone calls me out on it. ;) By anyone I mean the cops/DOT.

BuffaloLandscaping
02-02-2009, 07:23 PM

My choices will definitely be limited, I'd prefer a 5-spd. IDI.

TXNSLighting
02-02-2009, 07:37 PM
I agree with 16's, no one would be able to tell. The new ones & their 19.5s, no way. The 460 gas issue does concern me quite a bit. I have driven my Uncle's 00 F-350 4x4 V10/Auto & that thing was bad. I guess I'll reconsider the "compression ignition" option. A PSD would be an issue for me because as I said, this will be stored in my driveway along the property line & my neighbor's house is only 6 ft. away (50's neighborhood). My neighbors are cool but the 94.5-97 PSDs are ungodly loud. The IDI isn't too bad & speed doesn't matter as I won't be going over 40 (also like the lack of turbo for reliability). Thanks very much for this detailed review! :cool2:

You and me have different definitions of loud. Those trucks arent that loud, cummins in those years were loud!

BuffaloLandscaping
02-02-2009, 07:48 PM
You and me have different definitions of loud. Those trucks arent that loud, cummins in those years were loud!

The noise doesn't bother me but imagine a neighbor 6 ft. away listening to a PSD start-up @ 7 a.m. on a Saturday morning. Don't think I'll be a popular guy... Yes, the Cummins are even louder!! :dizzy:

TXNSLighting
02-02-2009, 11:10 PM
My 96 on morning fire ups is very quiet. It just hums...mmm i want to go start it now...:laugh:

stroker51
02-03-2009, 12:34 AM
The SuperDuty's are good trucks. My 89 is getting a little old now, springs a new leak about once a month it seems somewhere. I wont post in a public forum what it's scaled out at before, but it's been just a tad (sense the sarcasm) over the 14500 GVW. It's got the 7.3 IDI and automatic. I've got all other powerstroke trucks, and for similar money, no way I'm getting another IDI, at least not without a turbo. And my 89 isn't much, if any, louder than my 96 PSD if your worried about your neighbors. Beware they are cold blooded monsters, I heard somebody, i think it was on this site somewhere, say that "if you walk past an IDI in the middle of the summer with an ice cream cone, it wont start."

BuffaloLandscaping
02-03-2009, 01:36 AM
My 96 on morning fire ups is very quiet. It just hums...mmm i want to go start it now...:laugh:

I suppose the actual cranking is somewhat quiet but as soon as it fires that "humming" is probably at least double the decibels of a 351 or similar. I'm the new guy in the neighborhood & all is well right now so I'm planning to keep it that way. When every house only has 6 feet on either side, it's better not to make enemies because your enemies will be very close. I guess that's the way you'd want them...

Oh, & my next-door neighbor has a good buddy who's a town cop that is over his house all the time (with cruiser) so I really need to not give him a reason to "check things out", especially if I have an "illegal" truck. ;) If I keep the peace, my neighbors "don't know anything about anything" if you catch my drift...

BuffaloLandscaping
02-03-2009, 01:49 AM
The SuperDuty's are good trucks. My 89 is getting a little old now, springs a new leak about once a month it seems somewhere. I wont post in a public forum what it's scaled out at before, but it's been just a tad (sense the sarcasm) over the 14500 GVW. It's got the 7.3 IDI and automatic. I've got all other powerstroke trucks, and for similar money, no way I'm getting another IDI, at least not without a turbo. And my 89 isn't much, if any, louder than my 96 PSD if your worried about your neighbors. Beware they are cold blooded monsters, I heard somebody, i think it was on this site somewhere, say that "if you walk past an IDI in the middle of the summer with an ice cream cone, it wont start."

It's the noise & also the smell I'm worried about (yes, not everyone enjoys the wonderful smell of diesel exhaust). I really try to be a great neighbor, especially since I know a local Landscaper who runs his business out of his house (lives in a much snootier town/nicer neighborhood than I) & he's had neighbors call on him for leaving piles of misc. stuff in the driveway. Now he's as paranoid as me about neighbors giving him crap to the point he plows their driveways for free to prevent any more calls. He also has a gas truck for this reason.

In general, diesels stick-out like sore thumbs in residential neighborhoods if you keep your trucks at your house. I guess I'm tainted because growing-up my old man got letters (from anonymous neighbors) & the city called on him about various things (again anonyomous neighbors) so I know how bad it can be & I don't want to deal with the awkwardness of angry neighbors because your relationship is never the same after that. I know so many people with horrendous neighbors (actually most everyone I know has them) & I have outstanding ones (immediate vicinity) but I don't want to test their limits as I'd like to stay in my house forever, peacefully. :)

stroker51
02-03-2009, 09:05 AM
Good point. Where I live if somebody had a problem with my diesel truck, I would just be like tough $hit, but it is a relatively small farm town, so I'm not the only one they'd be complaining about. In the older FSuperduty's, like mine, I think it would be a toss up between a 460 and a diesel anyway. I have the diesel in mine, with an auto tranny :( And I have a buddy who has a 88 F350 with a 460 bored like 30 over or something, and his will outpull mine and gets about the same mileag, 8-10, on fuel that was as much as a dollar cheaper over the summer. I just got to thinking, I haven't seen too many 460 Super Duty's lately for sale. There is one I saw with a 8' western plow, new engine, new clutch and some other stuff for like $6000. I'm hoping to get $4000 out of mine, too bad you arent closer.

amscontr
04-28-2009, 06:10 AM
We have a '88 Ford F350 460/7.5 5 spd PTO dump and I can fill the bed up with 5-6 tons and I see those guys with the electric hoists shoveling and cussing.

ProTouch Groundscapes
04-28-2009, 07:55 AM
we never maxed out our electric hoist, and once we grossed 16400 at the scales, maybe...:nono:

try listening to three trucks warming up on a cold winter morning at 2am ready for plowing, an 02 2500HD with 6.0L and flowmaster true duals, 98 chevy 5.7L dump truck and our new 09 Ford 6.4L. Ya they say the new 6.4's are quiet, but still when its cold they like to make it known.

bobbyr
04-29-2009, 12:04 PM
i have a F350 with the 5.4 and do not have any problems pulling my bobcat 300 and do not get to bad of milage am not sure of gears but it's a tank for having a auto tranny

J&R Landscaping
04-29-2009, 10:40 PM
i have a F350 with the 5.4 and do not have any problems pulling my bobcat 300 and do not get to bad of milage am not sure of gears but it's a tank for having a auto tranny

If its a standard 350 pick-up. Either 3.73 or 4.10's. Dump truck might be 4.10 or 4.30 gears...

Gravel Rat
04-30-2009, 03:16 AM
A regular 1 ton dump can legally only haul at the most 1- 1-1/4 yards of gravel that is about 3500-4000lbs. Trucks tare weight is so heavy it doesn't leave much legal payload.

I think I have said it earlier in this topic I have been there done that with regular 1 tons. I had F-Superduty trucks (F-450) and now currently a 03 F-450.

The brakes are better and the 19.5 rubber handles weight better than 16 inch rubber. The 99-and newer F-450 and F-550 trucks are better than the previous options.

Drawback to the old F-Superduty trucks is the tires are maxed out and the braking capacity is maxed out with a 15,000lb gvw. They can haul alot more but have tire problems and have to be carefull about making any panic stops.

amscontr
04-30-2009, 05:53 AM
A regular 1 ton dump can legally only haul at the most 1- 1-1/4 yards of gravel that is about 3500-4000lbs. Trucks tare weight is so heavy it doesn't leave much legal payload.

I think I have said it earlier in this topic I have been there done that with regular 1 tons. I had F-Superduty trucks (F-450) and now currently a 03 F-450.

The brakes are better and the 19.5 rubber handles weight better than 16 inch rubber. The 99-and newer F-450 and F-550 trucks are better than the previous options.

Drawback to the old F-Superduty trucks is the tires are maxed out and the braking capacity is maxed out with a 15,000lb gvw. They can haul alot more but have tire problems and have to be carefull about making any panic stops.That's our problem it will pull 5-6 tons plus a bobcat and trailer with ease, stopping it is a whole other ballgame. I know years ago before Jake Brakes were popular there used to be a magnetic type transmission brake on some older semi trucks that worked really well. I remeber years back when the 7.3 International diesel was in some Fords pulling "Hotshot" trailers some guys would run a 6 spd and a 2 spd rear axle that would really perform well.
I know the PTO operated hoist with the engine idling will dump 5-6 tons with no problem. A friend of mine has a brand new GMC 6500 with an electric hoist and he's lucky to dump 6 tons of material. Having everything from 1 ton dumps to semi dumps a PTO system is the only way to go IMO.

Gravel Rat
05-01-2009, 01:32 PM
When you consider a PTO dump pump lowest rating is 6 gallons per minute the one I bought for my F-450 has a 11 gpm rating. A electric pump at the most puts out 1.5-2 gpm.

If you can have a PTO pump its the way to go especially if you are doing repetitive box lifts.

aczlan
05-02-2009, 12:46 AM
BuffaloLandscaping, I dont know if you are still looking (or if a 7.3 powered truck would work for you given your situation), but a friend has an early 90's F-Super Duty with a PTO powered mason dump on it that is for sale, it had a new clutch last fall, they were using it for a water business (on the side), but it was not profitable so they are selling. It is in decent mechanical shape, it has a 7.3L non turbo Powerstroke engine and a manual transmission (5 spd IIRC).
The only catch is that I dont know if they will seperate the truck from the watertank (1000 Gal food grade low profile tank with baffles, and 50-100' of 3" food grade hose), might be worth asking if you are still interested.
They live about 1/2 way between Rochester and Syracuse NY.

PM me if you are interested and I can get you their contact info.

Aaron Z

TXNSLighting
05-02-2009, 04:48 PM
BuffaloLandscaping, I dont know if you are still looking (or if a 7.3 powered truck would work for you given your situation), but a friend has an early 90's F-Super Duty with a PTO powered mason dump on it that is for sale, it had a new clutch last fall, they were using it for a water business (on the side), but it was not profitable so they are selling. It is in decent mechanical shape, it has a 7.3L non turbo Powerstroke engine and a manual transmission (5 spd IIRC).
The only catch is that I dont know if they will seperate the truck from the watertank (1000 Gal food grade low profile tank with baffles, and 50-100' of 3" food grade hose), might be worth asking if you are still interested.
They live about 1/2 way between Rochester and Syracuse NY.

PM me if you are interested and I can get you their contact info.

Aaron Z

That wouldnt be a powerstroke then. Just a International IDI. Just for further reference.

Gravel Rat
05-02-2009, 06:52 PM
Yep its far from being a powerstroke. The only similarity it has the same engine displacement nothing else is the same.

A old IDI truck is okay but slow as mollasis. I had a 89 F-Superduty with 7.3 truck worked good but really frustrating to drive. Lots of low end power but no road speed. My truck did have the 5:13 gears so it screamed going 100km/h (62 mph) it was all it could muster on flat stretches. With the 5spd climbing the hills was in 3rd revving 2000 no point in trying to rev it higher when the truck was at max gross weight.

lyube
06-01-2009, 11:37 PM
Get an f450 and put f350 badges on it.