PDA

View Full Version : Stander vs. Zero Turn

JMLandscaping
02-02-2009, 04:39 PM
Hi guys I am looking at a new mower. I do a lot of residential properties where I would not rather use a sit down machine. But I also do some commercial properties (cemeteries, etc) I have not used a sand on mower and was wondering what would you rather operate for a 10 hour day. About 7 hours cutting real tough terrain.

I am down to an Exmark phazer 34" and similar and

Gravely Prostance, Toro Grandstand, Wright Stander.

What would you go with? Price is a large factor.

JMLandscaping
02-02-2009, 04:41 PM
Sorry this should probably be in Lawn Maintenance. Missed that.

Doc Pete
02-02-2009, 04:53 PM
Hi guys I am looking at a new mower. I do a lot of residential properties where I would not rather use a sit down machine. But I also do some commercial properties (cemeteries, etc) I have not used a sand on mower and was wondering what would you rather operate for a 10 hour day. About 7 hours cutting real tough terrain.

I am down to an Exmark phazer 34" and similar and

Gravely Prostance, Toro Grandstand, Wright Stander.

What would you go with? Price is a large factor.

At 7 hours of tough cutting, either mower will take it's toll on you. Frankly, if "YOU" are doing the cutting, I'd dump the account and find a bunch of smaller lawns. I dropped my cemetery account and picked up 5 or 6 residentals........ and I'm making more money with less work.

JMLandscaping
02-02-2009, 05:07 PM
No I cant dump the account, its good money and with it I only have 2 days of work cutting grass

paradise32258
02-02-2009, 05:36 PM
go with a stander, wrights are great , less weight shorter wheelbase, great machine

PTP
02-02-2009, 05:42 PM
Having owned a couple of Standers, I would recommend them. The sit down will be less tiring if you are mowing smooth surfaces but on rough terrain, I would much rather have a Stander.

Of the three you mentioned, the Wright Stander is my choice.

Doc Pete
02-03-2009, 12:13 PM
No I cant dump the account, its good money and with it I only have 2 days of work cutting grass

I understand. However, if your hourly rate is better at the church, than on residentals, you either have a very rich church or very, very poor customers. OTOH, if you are still getting new customers, you need to take anything you can get.
I would second the stander on rough ground.....
Pete

JMLandscaping
02-03-2009, 02:28 PM
I am looking at $41 an hour after all expenses. fuel, supplies, food, except insurance etc. My residentials are all like 40-50$ cuts 1-2 hour lawns

PTP
02-10-2009, 07:04 AM
I took the Grandstand for a short test yesterday and it was impressive. The balance of the machine was good - comparable to my Stander. The back end did kind of swing around but that didn't seem to be a big deal. It weighs in a little more than the Wright but, with the option to walk, that weight is negated.

There may be some design problems in that the tread plate might wear out quickly and the rubber suspension will probably not hold up forever but overall, I was impressed.

I still really like my Wright but as dealers are phasing them out in my area, the Grandstand will probably be on my trailers in the future.

mattfromNY
02-10-2009, 08:13 AM
I took the Grandstand for a short test yesterday and it was impressive. The balance of the machine was good - comparable to my Stander. The back end did kind of swing around but that didn't seem to be a big deal. It weighs in a little more than the Wright but, with the option to walk, that weight is negated.

There may be some design problems in that the tread plate might wear out quickly and the rubber suspension will probably not hold up forever but overall, I was impressed.

I still really like my Wright but as dealers are phasing them out in my area, the Grandstand will probably be on my trailers in the future.

Why are dealers phasing them out?

PTP
02-10-2009, 10:03 AM
Why are dealers phasing them out?

I am not sure. I really like mine. I know that at least one of the dealers had some business to business problems with Wright. That may be a part of it.

Also, the Toro Turbo Force works really well with the Bermuda here. The Wright has a good deck but the Toro is a little better.

All of the major dealers stock Toro here. Maybe Wright just can't take the market share that they need to be profitable.

Lawnut101
02-15-2009, 04:27 PM
I also saw a Toro Grandstand at our local expo. I was also impressed with it.

Pro-Scapes
02-15-2009, 06:39 PM
Have you guys seen the price on that grandstand tho ? north of 8k

KCLawnTamers
02-17-2009, 09:34 PM
If I have a rough property I take my Kubota B7800 with R4's... The belly mower ows nice and the tight turning radius with the hydrostat makes it fast...

supercuts
02-18-2009, 05:55 PM
I am looking at $41 an hour after all expenses. fuel, supplies, food, except insurance etc. My residentials are all like 40-50$ cuts 1-2 hour lawns

this may be your problem. your not making enough. although, you could be cutting a huge lawn with a 32" WB were as im using a 61" ZTR. 2 hr lawn you should be over $100