PDA

View Full Version : Toro Help needed

Drew Gemma
02-03-2009, 01:48 AM
I have a toro rotor gear head system at a local field that could use some tlc. Need s rep to give a quote on replacing nozzels if possible to enhance coverage. Canton Ohio area anyone got contacts. This is a pressurized system like you would find on a golf course.

mitchgo
02-03-2009, 01:56 AM
don't know if your going to get much help here..

bid it out to get rid of all your toro!

DanaMac
02-03-2009, 08:20 AM
There are a couple guys from Ohio area here. Wait a day or two, they might have suggestions.

Wet_Boots
02-03-2009, 09:08 AM
Come back with some data. Pressure, flow, head spacing, and photos.

DanaMac
02-03-2009, 09:14 AM
Come back with some data. Pressure, flow, head spacing, and photos.

Along with what tools you use, boots you wear, coffee you drink, and anything else useless. :)

bicmudpuppy
02-03-2009, 09:19 AM
I have a toro rotor gear head system at a local field that could use some tlc. Need s rep to give a quote on replacing nozzels if possible to enhance coverage. Canton Ohio area anyone got contacts. This is a pressurized system like you would find on a golf course.

Are they actually golf heads? There will be a number on top of the head if they are. If you don't want to sub it out, or you can't find a good sub, drop by the maintenance facility at a local golf course. The super there should be able to point you in the right direction, or he might have you talk to his irrigation tech. The tech might be interested in working for you on the side for a day or two a week to "fix" something like this. Times are tough all over. Everyone is looking for a way to "find" an extra buck or two.

Wet_Boots
02-03-2009, 09:23 AM
Along with what tools you use, boots you wear, coffee you drink, and anything else useless. :)Shoe size. Definitely your shoe size.

If the heads are Toro 640 series, I think you'd have to change a stator along with the nozzle.

Drew Gemma
02-03-2009, 10:48 PM
The problem is they are on a local school who can't afford much we care for the turf materials only. I went to school there! We fert, squirt, seed, plug, dress, soil test and advise where needed. On the field we have heads running down the hash marks four on each side. We have approximately 6 spots where we have no coverage. Also they would like to purchase a rain sensor so they can eliminate over watering during rainy periods. This system is obviously older and changing it over is not gonna happen right now at least.

hoskm01
02-03-2009, 11:24 PM
The problem is they are on a local school who can't afford much we care for the turf materials only. I went to school there! We fert, squirt, seed, plug, dress, soil test and advise where needed. On the field we have heads running down the hash marks four on each side. We have approximately 6 spots where we have no coverage. Also they would like to purchase a rain sensor so they can eliminate over watering during rainy periods. This system is obviously older and changing it over is not gonna happen right now at least.
For al those services you're doing for them, I wouldnt say theyre hurting too bad. They should be done, but head coverage is as important as any of those.

Whats the spacing?

bicmudpuppy
02-04-2009, 12:56 AM

Four on each side? a field is 120yds long. That would mean a spacing of 40yds? or if we are only throwing out, 30yds? 640's only throw 80' with great pressure. 160'diameter x .8 spacing would get you to 120'+, but with any wind, terrible coverage!! IF they are 640 series or 750 series heads, your talking about $8 per head for both nozzles. The stator is tied into the range nozzle. Not a separate piece. Part circle heads are a little different, but the same basic animal.

Waterit
02-04-2009, 02:41 AM
I think that bic just said is that you don't have a TORO problem, you have a
POS system problem.

Bentrack
02-04-2009, 10:57 PM
Drew- not sure exactly what your problem is but if your looking for a Toro designer/supplier try Jenny Gerken at Century Equipment (419) 724-1857. She works in NW Ohio but can put you in contact with her coworkers in NE Ohio. Tell her that Ben from Toledo gave you her name. Century has locations in Toledo, Cleveland, Columbus, and Cincinnati.

Mike Leary
02-04-2009, 11:19 PM
try Jenny Gerken at Century Equipment

Good advise, I'd say.

Waterit
02-04-2009, 11:48 PM
Thought Century got swallowed by JDL

bicmudpuppy
02-04-2009, 11:58 PM
To clarify, I read his post to mean he was only charging the cost of materials and doing this as alumni support/community service. That the system is stretched to the max is a given. I would still say it can be made to work, but I don't think we have all the answers. I also don't think WE need them. He needs to find a competent local sprinkler guy. If going to a supplier doesn't get him the help he needs, then he needs to try a few of the local golf courses. Does the school have a golf team? If they do, where do they practice. The super whose facility they use has an indirect interest in the school. Donating a little advice and help procuring the right parts would fall into the good will category I try so hard to get my club to understand (did you FEEL me hit the brick wall:wall) If made aware of the situation and offered the opportunity, most would jump at the chance to promote their image. I'm not suggesting the course donate anything but time, but the perspective that time would provide could go a long way to solving this problem.

Waterit
02-05-2009, 02:48 AM
If made aware of the situation and offered the opportunity, most would jump at the chance to promote their image. I'm not suggesting the course donate anything but time, but the perspective that time would provide could go a long way to solving this problem.

I have been able to get the 36-hole course that adjoins our sports complex to allow me to use their equipment for seeding, occasional dirt-moving, etc., and their super has been an invaluable source of advice on pH values, fertilizer and weed-control program, etc. They have asked for nothing in return, even when we offered to have a sign made and installed for them. I do tell everyone on the park board (and just about anyone else who'll listen) what a great help they have been.

So it's definitely worth asking.

Mike Leary
02-05-2009, 10:42 AM
I do tell everyone on the park board (and just about anyone else who'll listen) what a great help they have been.

Suck-up.......

ARGOS
02-05-2009, 12:08 PM
The superintendent at a course I work next to helps me all the time. We have a great relationship and its nice to draw on his experience (I've repaid him with beer and rose and tree pruning advice)...and I'm not even a charity.

bicmudpuppy
02-05-2009, 06:14 PM
...and I'm not even a charity.

Yeah.............keep thinking that JK :)

Drew Gemma
02-17-2009, 03:05 PM
they are 670 series toro rotor gear head and we have five total heads down each hash mark on both sides of the field. hope that helps!

Dripit good
02-17-2009, 04:26 PM
Jenny Gerken not panning out for you?

It looked like a home run.

Drew Gemma
02-17-2009, 07:24 PM
they have one sales rep for Cleveland Cincinnatti waiting for a call

bicmudpuppy
02-17-2009, 11:50 PM
they are 670 series toro rotor gear head and we have five total heads down each hash mark on both sides of the field. hope that helps!

Drew, your describing coverage issues, and my gut says your problem is in the entire system, it is just more pronounced where you are "seeing" the problems. Two rows of five heads, to me, means 80' spacing between heads. That would mean that you are throwing 40' past the sidelines from each head, and 40' past the back of the end zone. 40' past the sidelines and end zone "covers" the corners. This system MAY have worked at installation. I could have been designed to work with some parameters that you do not have. Do you have any idea what size piping you are dealing with? What is the water source? Is there now, or was there ever a booster pump. 670's with the large nozzles should mean about a 75' radius IF we have 80psi at the head. (670's are pressure compensating and come in various pre-sets. Mine are all 65psi) I get 65psi as long as I have about 70psi prior to the head. I would easily lose 5psi in the pressure compensation if I didn't have the pressure to lose (My system is set to 120psi in the loop) My 65psi 670's with the large nozzle is 72' (I think, I don't have charts handy) You probably need 80-90psi static after any installed backflow. You also need to be able to sustain 75+psi at that point w/ the system running. Otherwise, your never going to have the 65psi at the head/nozzle these heads need to give decent coverage. Also, the 670's SUCK if they are not perfectly level with good pressure. I have many areas I have to fix a few at a time because the heads are low/tilted/etc. Hopefully this isn't the case on a football field. What COLOR are the nozzles in your heads?

DanaMac
02-18-2009, 09:10 AM
Drew, your describing coverage issues, and my gut says your problem is in the entire system, it is just more pronounced where you are "seeing" the problems. Two rows of five heads, to me, means 80' spacing between heads. That would mean that you are throwing 40' past the sidelines from each head, and 40' past the back of the end zone. 40' past the sidelines and end zone "covers" the corners. This system MAY have worked at installation. I could have been designed to work with some parameters that you do not have. Do you have any idea what size piping you are dealing with? What is the water source? Is there now, or was there ever a booster pump. 670's with the large nozzles should mean about a 75' radius IF we have 80psi at the head. (670's are pressure compensating and come in various pre-sets. Mine are all 65psi) I get 65psi as long as I have about 70psi prior to the head. I would easily lose 5psi in the pressure compensation if I didn't have the pressure to lose (My system is set to 120psi in the loop) My 65psi 670's with the large nozzle is 72' (I think, I don't have charts handy) You probably need 80-90psi static after any installed backflow. You also need to be able to sustain 75+psi at that point w/ the system running. Otherwise, your never going to have the 65psi at the head/nozzle these heads need to give decent coverage. Also, the 670's SUCK if they are not perfectly level with good pressure. I have many areas I have to fix a few at a time because the heads are low/tilted/etc. Hopefully this isn't the case on a football field. What COLOR are the nozzles in your heads?

Says the man of few words.................. :)

Wet_Boots
02-18-2009, 09:42 AM

My goodness. A detailed response that is entirely on the topic. :p

http://tbn3.google.com/images?q=tbn:hxEb43T8pGFNbM:http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_zENuDflPejY/SS1mK9V63tI/AAAAAAAADSs/tD6OvdyTzUQ/s400/mr__horse.png