PDA

View Full Version : Pump GPH = ??

VO Landscape Design
02-03-2009, 02:01 PM
Is there a formula to figure out the minimal to maximum a pump needs for water. Say you have a 150gph pump how much water do you need for the pond, or vice versa. Say you have a 500 gallon pond/water feature what is the size of pump you would need? I want to start with some small water features at first then build as I get more experience. Have seen some good pumps on sale but need to know what size volume of water they would need.
Thanks
VO

tadpole
02-03-2009, 02:57 PM
Your question is a bit confusing. The size of pump (flow rate) that is needed is dictated by the size and TYPE of Water Feature. You usually don't buy a pump then design a Water Feature around it. You design the feature first, then determine what Flow Rate you either need or would like.

landscaperbob
02-03-2009, 05:27 PM
Generally you want to turn your pond volume (gallons) over at least once an hour. More = better to a point. When you fill your pond keep track of how long & how many gallons/minute your hose gives you. (see how long it takes to fill a 5 gal. bucket- divide that # into your total time) 1,000 gal. pond = min 1,000 gph. (I double that in my installs)

XStream Aquatics
02-04-2009, 12:04 AM
Also the size weir you use along with the size biofilter. Don't always go for the pump that's on sale.

Chrysalis
02-04-2009, 12:38 AM
Small waterfalls and large bubblers I would use a Cal Pumps Mag Drive 1200 and push the energy conservation aspect of it. dont start off with little tiny 150 gallon per hour pumps unless its just a fountain, You can get incredible prices at aquaticponds.com/

They have a Mag Drive 5200 GPH on there for about $160, and that thing rocks! 5 one and a half inch pipe outlets and you wont even need valves.

If you go to a local 'Build a Pond' day would help you learn how to do projects effectively also.