PDA

View Full Version : Low cost but effective compost screeners

JDUtah
02-03-2009, 02:05 PM
Hey guys. I wanted to start a thread on compost screeners.

The compost I get is already screened to 1/2". I want to screen it even more. Right now I don't have the time/money to invest into a super large unit. I am looking to make something that is effective, quick, and relatively cheap.

I am looking at two concepts. Here is one...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kft8hr3zE5Q

The other hooks to a drill and moves the screen back and forth. I am thinking the above concept is better but what do you think? Any other concepts I might want to consider?

Comments/opinions/suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance.

David

PS - I plan to post pics once I jump to the "fun" part of this project... building/testing it.

bicmudpuppy
02-03-2009, 02:54 PM
Try THIS (http://dailydiy.com/2008/06/30/trommel-compost-sifter/) as an option. I made a small one on the same principal with a metal trash barrel. I'll post a picture or two of it later. (got the barrel off of the stand right now)

JDUtah
02-03-2009, 03:03 PM
Try THIS (http://dailydiy.com/2008/06/30/trommel-compost-sifter/) as an option. I made a small one on the same principal with a metal trash barrel. I'll post a picture or two of it later. (got the barrel off of the stand right now)

Wow, that's awesome. Thanks! :) The how-to lead me to the following pic...

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1253/541061869_f940d2760e_b.jpg

I LOVE the old rim idea... genius.

Mr. Nice
02-03-2009, 03:12 PM
Looks well built...Nice screener.

JDUtah
02-03-2009, 03:20 PM
Any suggestions on a good low RPM motor? It looks like this guy did some custom gear reduction. I would want to shy away from that.

Mr. Nice
02-03-2009, 03:32 PM
You will need the gear reduction for torque.

Instead try you luck out on a shaker table to keep it more simple?

JDUtah
02-03-2009, 03:41 PM
You will need the gear reduction for torque.

Instead try you luck out on a shaker table to keep it more simple?

I might. I really like the rim/mesh idea. I wanted to do a roller for the effectiveness but never figured out how to make the screen. I don't think I worded my last question very well, gear reduction is required... can anyone suggest an appropriate motor with gear reduction? I want to stay away from a custom reduction job.

I have a couple few weeks before I jump into the project I just wanted to get it going. Roller or shaker table so far... any other ideas?

Thanks for the input thus far. :)

DUSTYCEDAR
02-03-2009, 03:43 PM
That is great did you make it?

JDUtah
02-03-2009, 03:47 PM
That is great did you make it?

If you are asking me, I didn't. Follow the link BM posted. It will take you to a how-to.. and they link to the pic from there.

Mr. Nice
02-03-2009, 03:56 PM
There's as many cheap ways to build a decent shaker table as there are hairs on your head?

How much compost do you plan on screening?

Are you going to be doing all the work?

Answering those things first should help some.

JDUtah
02-03-2009, 04:07 PM
Screening one or two yards at a time, hopefully several times per week. Eventually more than 2 yards daily.

I will be doing the work this year... currently just shoveling it out of the back of a truck. I want it to be the fastest one man process that it can be. The roller is almost exactly what I want with the totes underneath.

Basically, I want the screened compost to fill totes while the chunks are automatically dumped into a wheel barrow. I want the feed area to be just as high as the truck bed, and the dump end high enough to dump into a wheel barrow. Totes on the ground in between. Portability is important. I will have to wheel it maybe 20 feet from storage to use. Effectiveness is most important = keep the process going... I don't want to 'waste' time unclogging the screener. A little of the fine compost ending up in the wheel barrow is fine, it is just going to a compost pile anyway. I could see a shaker table having "clogging" issues? Maybe not?

JDUtah
02-03-2009, 04:30 PM
Also, I want it to work as fast as one man can shovel compost out of a truck bed. Standing around waiting for room to add more compost does not agree with my wallet one bit.

Obviously there will be plenty of trial and error accompanied with redesigns but ya gotta start somewhere right? :)

Mr. Nice
02-03-2009, 05:01 PM
Bite the bullet....many hands are better then two in these situations.

You need a dump truck..... incline the bed as you work?

Here's a long shot, maybe setup a hanging screening square over a wheel barrel? what ever you make, do you plan on taking it to each job?

Still it's alot of work doing all that but I know you need to start somewhere.

There's no way for your supplier to re screen?

JDUtah
02-03-2009, 05:16 PM
Supplier can't re-screen. Their equipment only goes down to 1/2".

The screener will not be taken to each job... just stored in shop and moved to location when needed.

Dump bed (even dump insert) will be obtained asap, but not yet.

I now have a sweet concept for the efficient one, but like you said, I gotta start somewhere.

Shaker table like the video just might be it...
Or rig a decent drill to the simple roller screener...

I really really want one man. It is important. My shop guy will be solo when things are fully operational...

btw, thanks for the help

phasthound
02-03-2009, 06:35 PM
Hey guys. I wanted to start a thread on compost screeners.

The compost I get is already screened to 1/2". I want to screen it even more. Right now I don't have the time/money to invest into a super large unit. I am looking to make something that is effective, quick, and relatively cheap.

I am looking at two concepts. Here is one...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kft8hr3zE5Q

The other hooks to a drill and moves the screen back and forth. I am thinking the above concept is better but what do you think? Any other concepts I might want to consider?

Comments/opinions/suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance.

David

PS - I plan to post pics once I jump to the "fun" part of this project... building/testing it.

I would expect the jigsaw or drill would burn out rather rapidly. Get the most powerful motor you can afford rather than spending money and then spending more to upgrade.

dishboy
02-03-2009, 07:26 PM
Looks like way too much labor, makes Soymeal and a shot of 123 compost tea look really good.

JDUtah
02-03-2009, 07:48 PM
Looks like way too much labor, makes Soymeal and a shot of 123 compost tea look really good.

lol, soymeal and 123CT... hmmm, that would negate one of marketing campaigns...

I doubt you would consider it lots of labor once I am functioning at full speed (including my own composting)

muddstopper
02-03-2009, 08:49 PM
Didnt look at the video, poor internet speed, but looking at the pic, it looks to be bike rims with hardware cloth. Neat ideal. I dont think you really need to concern yourself with gear reduction. it would look like to me to use the smallest pulley you can find on the electric motor, (I suggest an old cloths dryer motor) and with the belt running all the way around the bike rim, you will have a pretty good reduction already. If the speed is still to fast, you can always rig up a jackshaft using two pillowblock bearings and a couple of lawn mower pullies. Maybe $25, it doesnt have to be hi tech. As for torque, I dont think you will be able to load enough compost into the screen to bog it down, it should be turning and screening as you load it

I think if I was going to build this screen, (and I am seriously considering the project),I would build a loading shute to shovel the compost into, letting the compost slide into the screen drum.

bicmudpuppy
02-03-2009, 08:57 PM
Salvaging an old dryer is an AWESOME idea. I will take a picture of the make shift temp job I did with the 55 gallon barrel soon. My rig is to screen sand for topdressing, but screening compost is a good second use for the same unit.

JDUtah
02-03-2009, 09:44 PM
Salvaging an old dryer is an AWESOME idea. I will take a picture of the make shift temp job I did with the 55 gallon barrel soon. My rig is to screen sand for topdressing, but screening compost is a good second use for the same unit.

I missed that suggestion before.. but nice! hmmm, then I would have to run power there... or are dryer motors 120V? hmmm... time to do some searching.

muddstopper
02-03-2009, 09:49 PM
You know, after thinking about it, doesnt a dryer drum have little 1/4inch holes in it already, why savage just the motor.

By the way,after taking another look at the pic, they did incorporate a jackshaft/pulley system for a gear reduction. I still think it was more for slowing the drum down than it was for torque.

hunter
02-03-2009, 10:28 PM
The best motor is going to be a dryer motor. They already have the torque for heavy loads and run at a slow speed. You could even use the same belt that wraps around a dryer drum to turn the separator.

Kiril
02-03-2009, 10:52 PM
I have a couple few weeks before I jump into the project I just wanted to get it going. Roller or shaker table so far... any other ideas?

Don't screen it at all ... 1/2" is acceptable IMO.

Seems to me any "cheap" solution will not be very scalable or cost effective. I suppose if you only need to do 1 yard of compost per month, not a big deal .... 100 yards + of compost per month makes it an entirely different game.

JDUtah
02-03-2009, 11:05 PM

Seems to me any "cheap" solution will not be very scalable or cost effective. I suppose if you only need to do 1 yard of compost per month, not a big deal .... 100 yards + of compost per month makes it an entirely different game.

I understand that position, but still have reasons to get it a little more fine. I do plan on volume eventually, and want to build things that are capable of handling volume... learning from a trial one will help me build a better high volume one when that time comes.

bicmudpuppy
02-03-2009, 11:26 PM
Search for Trommel type screeners, and you will see commercial versions all over the place. Plans to DIY one are plentiful and the scale is up to you. Having a "small" screener gives you the opportunity to run tests without running the volume your production line machine should produce. Doing several yards per day with the machine pictured would be very doable. An in feed hopper with an adjustable gate would make this more of a continuous operation, even with only one person tending it. Some type of "paddle" on the in feed side to drag material into the drum would be beneficial. The size of the paddle would affect the in feed speed. Spinning the 55 gal barrel I have on a stand and less than 1/3 of the barrel is screen, I can screen a yard of sand in an hour. That is hand feeding the drum and no motor. A motor and hopper feed would get me to 4-5 yards of sand through 16 mesh window screen. Running compost through a 1/8" hardware cloth would not be any slower. A broom on the outside of the drum prevents the screen from clogging. Many commercially produced trommels have brushes on the inside top of the screen.

Kiril
02-03-2009, 11:34 PM
This is similar to the unit I have seen at the landfill.

http://useit.umaine.edu/images/maingallery/msc5.jpg

Got Compost? ;)

ICT Bill
02-03-2009, 11:43 PM
Been there done that, got the T-shirt and wore it out

after you go through the 5, 6 or 7 iterations on the "machine" you will realize that it does not matter which machine you use but the water content of the compost that you are using

as you go from 1/2 inch to smaller you need to inject a product that is under 12% to 10% moisture

Then you start the other task, how do you reduce the water content? good luck on this I have beat this scenario up so many times it hurts

give me a call, I can save you many many hours

treegal1
02-04-2009, 12:02 AM
HA HA, this is so funny. I will hang back and chill then drop the bomb...................what really hurts is I spent the day working out another members tromel issues. freaking mud hole...............

bicmudpuppy
02-04-2009, 12:09 AM
Been there done that, got the T-shirt and wore it out

after you go through the 5, 6 or 7 iterations on the "machine" you will realize that it does not matter which machine you use but the water content of the compost that you are using

as you go from 1/2 inch to smaller you need to inject a product that is under 12% to 10% moisture

Then you start the other task, how do you reduce the water content? good luck on this I have beat this scenario up so many times it hurts

give me a call, I can save you many many hours

Ouch, moisture would be a problem for most of you.............I have screened sand here in small quantities a lot, but......um, the desert, you know :) As long as I avoid the "wet" season, I can screen sand from the local wash with a moisture content of less than 1%, and that is from depth, not surface.

treegal1
02-04-2009, 12:11 AM
This is similar to the unit I have seen at the landfill.

http://useit.umaine.edu/images/maingallery/msc5.jpg

Got Compost? ;)wow shite thats like 1.2 mil $$$used 500K$ and it looks like tires???

Kiril
02-04-2009, 12:16 AM
Yea ... they use it to screen the green waste at the landfill ... at least that is where it is parked. One big machine

treegal1
02-04-2009, 12:17 AM
ok so I cant help it.........

JDUtah
02-04-2009, 12:18 AM
HA HA, this is so funny. I will hang back and chill then drop the bomb...................what really hurts is I spent the day working out another members tromel issues. freaking mud hole...............

Uh oh, I wanna hear it now? :)

treegal1
02-04-2009, 12:19 AM
Uh oh, I wanna hear it now? :)
as soon as we get it all finished and working I will post the pics, trust me its going to blow you away!!!

bicmudpuppy
02-04-2009, 12:20 AM
I would LOVE to have THIS (http://cgi.ebay.com/Powerscreen-Trommel-Screener-Basket-Screen-Loom-Earth_W0QQitemZ200287281523QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?_trksid=p3286.m20.l1116) one fitted with 12mesh screens!

BUT, while I am dreaming without drugs, how about THIS ONE (http://cgi.ebay.com/Doppstadt-720-Trommel-Screen_W0QQitemZ270339459146QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?_trksid=p3286.m20.l1116) instead!

Kiril
02-04-2009, 12:23 AM
Talk about expensive toys :)

JDUtah
ok so I cant help it.........

Tree, you selling that? Does it have a feed shute? Looks taller than a truck bed?

treegal1
yep thats the one we are working on now the Doppstadt 720 Trommel Screen, got to tell you for that kind o cash...... I will just post the pics soon.......

treegal1
02-04-2009, 12:24 AM
Tree, you selling that? Does it have a feed shute? Looks taller than a truck bed?maybe we talk about that later........or not here......

Kiril
02-04-2009, 12:24 AM
as soon as we get it all finished and working I will post the pics, trust me its going to blow you away!!!

lemme guess ... you rigged something up with a volks beetle engine. :laugh:

treegal1
02-04-2009, 12:26 AM
lemme guess ... you rigged something up with a volks beetle engine. :laugh:

Doppstadt 720 Trommel :laugh: dont worry Kiril you will see.............

JDUtah
02-04-2009, 12:28 AM
Yeah I have drooled over big machinery like that for a while. This is a pic of my main supplier. The pic is over a year old. You can see they have one screener in there, I think they have more.

Mr. Nice
02-04-2009, 06:25 PM
By the way,after taking another look at the pic, they did incorporate a jackshaft/pulley system for a gear reduction. I still think it was more for slowing the drum down than it was for torque.

Considering the size of that electric motor I think we are both right?

muddstopper
02-04-2009, 07:44 PM

You are probably right for most situations, but I have a unique reason for wanting it screend down to smaller sizes. I have tried to find a way to efficently mix compost in my hydroseeder for seeding applications. The cheap compost with larger pieces simply causes more cloggs than its worth. 1/8 inch compost seems to be pretty acceptable. Screening down to that size can be a problem, but I think I have the moisture problem figured out.

Two options. One, add a brush attachment to rub against the outside of drum as it turns, this will pull the small particles thru the screen. This works on moist clay dirt and should work on compost.

Second option, spray more water and make a slurry. This would wash the small particles thru the screen, but would require doing quanities in advance and letting the material dryout before appying to a lawn. Even if used in the hydroseeder, handleing the extra weight of wet compost isnt my ideal of a fun day. Not to mention the possible loss of nutrients. Wait, make compost tea with the extra water.

treegal1
02-04-2009, 07:48 PM
you should be able to get a small1/16 size if thats what you want to do..............

phasthound
02-04-2009, 07:54 PM
You are probably right for most situations, but I have a unique reason for wanting it screend down to smaller sizes. I have tried to find a way to efficently mix compost in my hydroseeder for seeding applications. The cheap compost with larger pieces simply causes more cloggs than its worth. 1/8 inch compost seems to be pretty acceptable. Screening down to that size can be a problem, but I think I have the moisture problem figured out.

Two options. One, add a brush attachment to rub against the outside of drum as it turns, this will pull the small particles thru the screen. This works on moist clay dirt and should work on compost.

Second option, spray more water and make a slurry. This would wash the small particles thru the screen, but would require doing quanities in advance and letting the material dryout before appying to a lawn. Even if used in the hydroseeder, handleing the extra weight of wet compost isnt my ideal of a fun day. Not to mention the possible loss of nutrients. Wait, make compost tea with the extra water.

Anyone interested in one ton bulk sacks of 1/8" screened worm castings delivered at economical pricing? Save your labor and time. Great for topdressing, planting, tea making.

treegal1
02-04-2009, 07:58 PM
Anyone interested in one ton bulk sacks of 1/8" screened worm castings delivered at economical pricing? Save your labor and time. Great for topdressing, planting, tea making.that's a large screen for casts???most I have used are a little smaller.360$ a sack???

JDUtah
02-04-2009, 08:30 PM
Bill,
I am going to call you, was a bit busy today.

treegal1
02-04-2009, 09:01 PM
Bill,
I am going to call you, was a bit busy today.what are you going to call him???

ok so back on track, low cost try and find some wood say some 2x4's and some wire mesh, maybe some 1/8 mesh??

then stand it up on legs, and let gravity do the rest????? average labor can shovel about a yard or 2 an hour???

Kiril
02-04-2009, 10:11 PM
You are probably right for most situations, but I have a unique reason for wanting it screend down to smaller sizes. I have tried to find a way to efficently mix compost in my hydroseeder for seeding applications.

Yup, in your case I definitely agree, 1/2 is too big unless your using a fire hose ;)

Kiril
02-04-2009, 10:13 PM
what are you going to call him???

ok so back on track, low cost try and find some wood say some 2x4's and some wire mesh, maybe some 1/8 mesh??

then stand it up on legs, and let gravity do the rest????? average labor can shovel about a yard or 2 an hour???

That rig is scary cheap. :laugh:

treegal1
02-04-2009, 10:16 PM
you get what you give and all that..... funny most will start off there........

this guy uses the shovel method..............

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OLFnng9Oqew

JDUtah
02-05-2009, 12:01 AM
what are you going to call him???

Hahaha! Ummm... I don't think lawnsite will let me post it ;)

JDUtah
02-05-2009, 12:31 AM
BTW, to clarify, low cost = my screener budget is 600 bucks... but it must eliminate as much labor as possible.

phasthound
02-05-2009, 08:41 AM
that's a large screen for casts???most I have used are a little smaller.360$ a sack???

$315-380 + shipping.

TF PLUS
02-05-2009, 02:16 PM
Yup, in your case I definitely agree, 1/2 is too big unless your using a fire hose ;)

With my limited experience, I will not use half inch screen parent material (disease lurking crap). 1/4" to 1/8th yes I wood.

My efforts is to approach the entire landscape living root zone with the highest quality and highest value product for the entire community; go Rutuba Organics and go East-side Lake O, FLA community.:clapping:

TF PLUS
02-05-2009, 02:18 PM
PS Or even twice screened 1/2", crap is crap:walking:

treegal1
02-05-2009, 03:40 PM
Tom, please don't forget that proper compost starts with the feed stock inputs and not the final screening process.screening out the DISEASE will not work only proper composting will eliminate or diminish the factors that cause pathogen spread

TF PLUS
02-05-2009, 04:10 PM
Tom, please don't forget that proper compost starts with the feed stock inputs and not the final screening process.screening out the DISEASE will not work only proper composting will eliminate or diminish the factors that cause pathogen spread
That was going to be my next P.S. sort of:usflag:, thanks for the follow up because your statement is key.

DUSTYCEDAR
02-05-2009, 06:04 PM
you get what you give and all that..... funny most will start off there........

this guy uses the shovel method..............

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OLFnng9Oqew

THAT IS LOW TEC but hes doing it

cudaclan
02-06-2009, 08:39 PM
Can a modified portable concrete mixer (gas/electric) work? There are plastic mixer versions. I know, an awful lot of holes to drill. I still use the old standby, a milk box crate for small jobs.

treegal1
02-06-2009, 08:57 PM
farm it out if you can, a did this once, use an 1/8 inch hole, and if you got an air nail-er for framing, try and mess with it to use it to punch holes. if you want a hint PM me as this is danger land !!!!!

farm out to a laser!!!!

muddstopper
02-06-2009, 09:56 PM
BTW, to clarify, low cost = my screener budget is 600 bucks... but it must eliminate as much labor as possible.

How big a screen do you want? Mesh size? The rig in the picture probably cost less than a $100 to build. I think if you get much larger than the one in the pic, you will have a hard time getting the wire mesh to hold up.

muddstopper
02-06-2009, 10:05 PM
With my limited experience, I will not use half inch screen parent material (disease lurking crap). 1/4" to 1/8th yes I wood.

My efforts is to approach the entire landscape living root zone with the highest quality and highest value product for the entire community; go Rutuba Organics and go East-side Lake O, FLA community.:clapping:

I think the best way to get small compost particles is to start with small compost materials. The problem with that is really small stuff compacts and doesnt compost well. You have to add larger particles to provide ventilation. This is where a good screen can come in handy. Screen out the large stuff and throw it back into the pile to compost some more and also provide a microbial innoculant to the new material. Take the small stuff and use it. If you are composting correctly, the 1/2in + material wont be disease lurking crap.

bicmudpuppy
02-07-2009, 11:11 AM
I keep promising pictures of the barrel I modified. I'm up to my arse in abused golf cars right now, but I will take the pic. The dryer motor was a great idea. I think you could pick up a "dead" with working drive dryer for 20 bucks or so. Make the frame like in the DIY instructions with the tire rims to ride on it. Like the guy said 100 bucks should be VERY close. Buy GOOD screen. I have been "playing" with cheap screens, but that was because I still don't know what I want. I want to screen sand, and if it works, nothing on a DIY scale is going to keep up with the demand. Again, that part is an IF, but if it will actually work, I can use about 500-1000cu yds. per year, and I the other courses and industries that want that quality of sand would mean a market for another 4-5K cubic yards each year. The arroyo wash is averaging depositing about 12K cu yds of raw sand into my flood retention pond each year.
Now, back to a compost screener. If you need a source to buy GOOD screen, I'll post one. Figure a couple of bucks per sq. foot depending on if you just want heavy steel or stainless. Is 1/4" hole fine enough? for my application, I'm trying to eliminate anything bigger than .060". That is way over kill for compost. Maybe 8 mesh would be fine enough? Best source I have found for screen will come off of 4' wide rolls. This means that your screener needs to be 4' wide OR in sections less than 4' to allow overlap and re-enforcement. A gradual drop, maybe 2"/10' of screener with a good in feed system. Large commercial units use a hopper and belt feed into the trommel. A gated hopper with some kind of paddle to "pull" the material into the screener would work, I *think*. If you could find a source for 3-4' diameter hoops and made the screener 7' long (2 sections). I would put the dryer motor in the center on a center support. The belt would go around the point where the screens overlap. Three 3' broom heads, mounted on the "up" side of the rotation to clean the screens, and I think you could screen 5-8 cu yds/hour. TG? does that sound realistic? I am assuming a reasonably dry material. My perspective goes way off here. I've only been in the desert for less than 8 months, but the only screening I've done has been here. (aside from a 5 gallon bucket at a time by hand)

JDUtah
02-07-2009, 01:36 PM
I would like a little smaller than 1/4" mesh. Post the good screen supplier for sure. :) I have to do some trial and error do decide on optimum length/angle, etc...

treegal1
02-07-2009, 05:59 PM
14 deg, 17 inches, 34 rpm, 44 inches of screen and 1 foot on the ends for in/out feed..................1/8 mesh

JDUtah
02-07-2009, 06:50 PM
14 deg, 17 inches, 34 rpm, 44 inches of screen and 1 foot on the ends for in/out feed..................1/8 mesh

I love you tree! (in a permissible way only)

bicmudpuppy
02-07-2009, 07:54 PM

That's a 17" dia? with 44" length of screen? If so, what throughput would be a good average do you think?

If I read the dimensions right then you could cut a 55 gallon steel drum in half and open up a 44" distance between the two halves using some steel bar or even angle iron? Spin it with the dryer motor and be in business!

treegal1
02-07-2009, 08:05 PM
just the type of steel that they are made of is junk hard to weld and is real thin, but ok,,,,,,,,,the small one was just the idea stage

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=243472&page=4

treegal1
02-07-2009, 08:13 PM
this one will do about 6 tons of casts in 3 hours, and still we made a bigger one..........

its 30 gallon drums...........

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=233004

Barefoot James
02-07-2009, 11:44 PM
Talked to this guy last year and he has quite a big compost and worm cast screening operation. Has a very large worm cast business and bought a $75,000 screener 10 years ago and was very disappointed so he started building his own and here are his products.
http://www.jetcompost.com/index.html

bicmudpuppy
02-08-2009, 12:47 AM
This is the best source I've found, price wise for Wire Screen (http://www.twpinc.com/).

DUSTYCEDAR
02-08-2009, 01:22 PM
Thanks for the screen link

pt03
02-14-2009, 05:24 PM
Hey I recognize that homebuilt trommel! More pictures here.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/laj2006/page4/

Lloyd

pt03
02-14-2009, 05:25 PM
Hey I recognize that homebuilt trommel! More pictures here.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/laj2006/page4/

Lloyd

JDUtah
02-14-2009, 06:17 PM
Lloyd,

Are those yours??

That trailer tumbler is awesome too. If you built those you have some very creative skills!

pt03
02-14-2009, 06:32 PM
Yup, that's us. The trailer tumbler was used just to prove the concept would work. The trailer part is actually one of our field sprayers.

Kinda cool to see my sifter, made me laugh.

Lloyd

treegal1
02-14-2009, 06:37 PM
nice gear Lloyd!!!!!!! I mean that you got it goin on:weightlifter::weightlifter:

pt03
02-14-2009, 06:57 PM
Sorry JD, I thought you were talking about the single drum on the trailer but now I realize you might have been talking about the multi tumbler.

The single drum on the trailer was done just to make sure the composting worked before we went to all the trouble of building the multi tumbler on the frame.

Sorry for the confusion there.

Lloyd

treegal1
02-14-2009, 07:01 PM
hey Lloyd, is there any plans to insulate the drum composter or is there the thermal mass needed???

JDUtah
02-14-2009, 07:20 PM
Sorry JD, I thought you were talking about the single drum on the trailer but now I realize you might have been talking about the multi tumbler.

The single drum on the trailer was done just to make sure the composting worked before we went to all the trouble of building the multi tumbler on the frame.

Sorry for the confusion there.

Lloyd

You read it right. I am impressed. Very genius. Multi stage? Even better!

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/97/228740784_df968d480a_m.jpg

pt03
02-14-2009, 09:03 PM
We don't intend to insulate, may at some point have a building for the multi tumblers but for right now, winter is a time to relax and research. Having found this forum I have hours and hours of reading ahead of me. Most of the posts I've read so far are way beyond my level but it sure is fun reading them. I just stumbled on this site, saw the screener thread and up popped a picture of my sifter! Cool.

Lloyd

treegal1
02-14-2009, 09:29 PM
cool, welcome, hope you have fun.

JDUtah
02-14-2009, 09:29 PM
Welcome aboard Lloyd :)

You make nice post!

hunter
02-14-2009, 09:51 PM
Lloyd -

Looks like you'll be the guru to making great items for compost around here. Glad you joined.

DUSTYCEDAR
02-15-2009, 10:30 AM
VERY COOL i like your setup
thinking outside the box

treegal1
02-15-2009, 10:37 AM
my gadget guy had this to say, that at 8 feet tall and 10 feet long they only turn out 9 yards of compost at a time, so for our use, maybe 40 of the units..........

but i still think there cool..............

bicmudpuppy
02-15-2009, 11:17 AM
my gadget guy had this to say, that at 8 feet tall and 10 feet long they only turn out 9 yards of compost at a time, so for our use, maybe 40 of the units..........

but i still think there cool..............

Hey Tree, you do realize that measuring worm casts in TONS isn't exactly normal...........right?

Kiril
02-15-2009, 11:36 AM
Hey Tree, you do realize that measuring worm casts in TONS isn't exactly normal...........right?

Ain't nutin normal when it comes to TG. :laugh:

DUSTYCEDAR
02-15-2009, 11:44 AM
She is special

JDUtah
03-04-2009, 01:03 AM
So I said I would post pics. Here they are. Long story short, jumping through city hoops and a friend in the hospital made the budget go from 600 to 50 and cut the time I had to work on this in 1/4th. I decided to not go with the trummel(?) yet. Oh, and I went with 1/4" mesh for now, but might change my mind on that.

Anyways I threw this together yesterday. Today I tested a couple different ways to work the compost through the screen. I think I am going to rig some wires to pull the mesh up and down with a foot peddle. It looks like it is going to be pretty slick even for a one man operation.

So I still need to add the wire. I am also going to add a couple guides to keep the compost from falling between the totes. Any suggestions are welcome. :)

treegal1
03-04-2009, 07:43 AM
use the sawsall to pull it up and down:laugh::laugh:

Kiril
03-04-2009, 10:04 AM
Not real sure where you are going with this JD. Seems to me it would be incredibly labor intensive to screen enough compost for landscape applications.

pt03
03-25-2009, 03:50 PM
If you could find one of those roller doohickeys that they use for loading beer cases onto trucks to put under the totes it would make it real easy to slide them out. I've seen them at the scrap yard on occasion. Other than that, give 'er a try and see what you get.

Here is what we are building now.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/laj2006/3366590750/sizes/l/

Lloyd

pt03
05-11-2009, 12:25 AM
Got the screen set up and working well. We had to increase the slope a bit more than we wanted but I guess that's why we made it adjustable.:dizzy:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/laj2006/3504394415/sizes/l/

Lloyd:canadaflag:

treegal1
05-11-2009, 08:31 AM
as always Lloyd your one of the ones to look up to, you even have my deepest respect!!!!! nice work man

Daner
07-19-2009, 12:20 PM
Nice Screener Lloyd...Does the screen vibrate???

Daner
07-19-2009, 12:26 PM
I have this Idea In my head to make a screener that moves rapidly back and forth ,Not up and down

pt03
07-19-2009, 04:04 PM
Yup she shakes pretty decent. We had to fiddle with the engine speed to get the optimal shake. Seemed just above idle worked the best, anything faster smoothed itself out. The compost was still pretty damp but it screend it out pretty well.

We screened all of the stuff from 2007 in about 3 hours and that included a 1 hour shutdown for a busted hyrdraulic hose on the tractor. Used about 2 liters of gas in the screener engine.

We used tarps to cover the screened compost and let the overs just fall on top of the tarp. When the pile under the screener was full we just pulled the screener back three feet, unrolled the tarp some more and kept going.

All in all a decent project costing about $400 bucks not including the tarps. We are going to paint the stand this fall now that we know it works. I'm thinking International red?

Screener and windrow (http://www.flickr.com/photos/laj2006/3724077528/sizes/l/)

Lloyd:canadaflag: