PDA

View Full Version : per acre pricing w/ average of 2 acre per

T.D.T.
02-03-2009, 04:12 PM
I'm bidding 100 acres of parks & sports fields they range from .05 to 7 acres the average is a little less than 2 acres. any suggestions on the going rate per acre? this is mowing only,no trimming and pretty open. thanks in advance for the advice!

bivey79
02-03-2009, 04:29 PM
nice.. I can't help with the bidding, as I'm a newbie, but good luck with that!

actionlawn4u
02-03-2009, 04:34 PM
Really depends the mowing conditions what you are mowing with and how often. But usually around 17 to 25 per acre.

dfdsuperduty
02-07-2009, 11:23 PM
also figure in the area that you are in plus the type of equipment and man power that you have

Midstate Lawncare
02-10-2009, 07:53 PM
bid each seperately, then bid them all together. You will see that you will give a huge ammount of money away bidding aggregate... but that may be what you have to do. Also, how much extra work could there be? landscaping? aerations? take that into consideration too. I wouldn't charge a penny under $20 per acre... try $25... nothing ventured nothing gained.

Allens LawnCare
02-11-2009, 06:40 PM
We get $50-$65 an acre here, depends on obsticles, trimming etc, I'd give a break for that much turf, but $20 is insane.....guess it depends on where your located.....Where are you Located????

MOW ED
02-12-2009, 09:20 AM
I'm bidding 100 acres of parks & sports fields they range from .05 to 7 acres the average is a little less than 2 acres. any suggestions on the going rate per acre? this is mowing only,no trimming and pretty open. thanks in advance for the advice!

Please excuse me for being blunt but ARE YOU SERIOUS?

The best response until mine comes from bivey79.

My advice is to NOT bid on this job. You aren't ready. That is not being mean or me being an a-hole, it is sincere advice. Just look at the "advice" you were given so far. Look at the range of what they charge. How does that work for you?
Please don't waste your time bidding on that job and stick with what you know at this point. There is so much wrong here that I am thinking this was a trolling post and it hooked me.

If anything is learned here it is that you need to re-evaluate weather you want to succeed or fail in lawn care.

If you are serious in asking this, Please tell US how much you would bid and why? I will then try and give you additional information.

Lawnut101
02-13-2009, 01:14 PM
Really depends the mowing conditions what you are mowing with and how often. But usually around 17 to 25 per acre.

This is about how much multiple acres go for around here as well. It truly is sad.

cod8825
02-14-2009, 08:08 PM
T.D.T.

Mow Ed is usually blunt but honest on answers we who have bid this kind of work can't really help unless we know alot more about the job. Location, level of difficulty, trimming no trimming i.e. we do a park and rec division but they do not have trim curbs sidewalks or fences. That's huge we average $20 an acre for that area. Most municipal contracts are awarded to lowest bidder. Equipment, what are hourly requirements. I have to have all of my workers earning $60 an hour to cover costs, wages and desired profits and such. When you give us some more info we can help.

lawnpro724
02-14-2009, 10:05 PM
[QUOTE=Allens LawnCare;2763052]We get $50-$65 an acre here, depends on obsticles, trimming etc, I'd give a break for that much turf, but $20 is insane.....guess it depends on where your located.....Where are you Located????[/QUO

$50-$60 an acre here as well more if there is a lot of trimming. $20 or even $25 an acre isn't worth the effort unload the mowers of the trailer for me anyway. I think some here need to rethink their pricing unless your willing to work at a loss. Gas isn't cheap and this summer its going to go a lot higher than it is now, just wait and see. What about your time? Insurance, Equipment and so on, all these cost should be considered every time you bid a mowing job.

godflesh
02-15-2009, 12:13 AM
This is how i bid large jobs.
1. How many acres of this can I mow per hour?
2. How much will my machine costs be (fuel, maintenance, breakdowns, replacement) on this job per machine hour?
3. How much will labor cost me per machine hour?
4. How much stuff will I inevitably tear up on this job?
5. How many sites are there and what will be the travel time vs. what do I want to bill my truck and labor out at per mile?
6. What is my personal "uh-oh" factor? I go 15% as an uh-oh cushion.

Hope that helps you

paponte
02-15-2009, 01:13 PM
Good post godflesh. As with ANY bidding, it really depends on your overhead, and your capabilities. Can I as a company make money off $20 acre for WAM? Absolutely. Would I charge that little... no. I do believe if your asking these types of questions your not even close to being ready to bid on that type of work. Someone will come in with some 455 or 580D's and blow your socks off. Send you running home with your tail between your legs. :nono:

BLS 2002
02-15-2009, 02:20 PM
Good post Godflesh - It's often discussed in the posts the pricing strategies each LCO utilizes. If a LCO is making 20-25 dollars per acre that means they are a very large LCO mowing multiple acres at a time. That same LCO is not going to mow 1 single acre at 20 dollars per. With that said you need to have a little more experience to understand the dynamics of pricing and maintaining commercial properties. Start out small - think and grow big. Business classes always help.

Runner
02-15-2009, 06:17 PM
You have to understand though,...most of this is wide area mowing. This can be done at a rate of around 3.5 - 4 acres an hour with a 60" deck. This isn't full out at 10 mph, and this is at 80% efficiency - accommodating for overlap and turn around time. You figure 20 bucks an acre, you are grossing around 70 to 80 dollars an hour . That isn't all bad. The guys that posted from aroiund here are right on pricing. Much of it for instance that would be around 20 acres, goes for around 20 bucks per acre. More than 20 acres, it starts to go down. I've seen it as low as 10 to 12 an acre (school system), BUT the guy that did this had equipment to do this...he had WAM mowers batwing driven by H2B workers.

ProCut_48
02-17-2009, 02:23 AM

This is wrong i mow in your town and all over this area and i have sevreal townships contracts and i get $40.00 and up to $60.00 an acer dep's on the trimming!

burge19
02-18-2009, 02:44 PM
I also mow in michigan and i would agree that between 40 and 60 an acre.

Outdoor Services
03-05-2009, 07:16 PM
I also mow in michigan and i would agree that between 40 and 60 an acre.

It was down here last few years too, but this year less than 20 is more like it. One contract I saw went for 7k less than previous years of cutting this twp., and get this, the amount of grass said to be mowed was increased this time out for bid and it still was 7k less.

maverick1
03-10-2009, 07:20 PM
20 sounds a bit low we usually get 35 an acre