PDA

View Full Version : Franchise Truck Measuring lawn in 12" of snow

velocicaur
02-03-2009, 04:30 PM
Talk about dedication! In my subdivision the banks along the road are about 2ft and I'd say 10-14" of snow on the ground in most places.

Today in my subdivision, I saw a guy pushing a measuring wheel through these conditions. As I came around the corner, sure enough, a fertilizer franchise truck. He had to have been measuring for lot size right? What else would he be doing? :laugh:

JDUtah
02-03-2009, 04:51 PM
I've done it

tlg
02-03-2009, 04:56 PM
Next week he will be fertilizing it! Kinda hard to really get a good idea where the grass is with that much snow. Let alone do any kind of analysis.

group501
02-03-2009, 05:14 PM
Did anyone say he was doing a lawn analysis? Don't thrash the guy because he is part of a franchise. At least he is measuring the lawn and not guessing. If he does not run the lead while it is hot don't you think his competition will. Franchises are independentally owned and are about as good as their owners. Just like any other business there are good and bad operations.

tlg
02-03-2009, 08:26 PM
Did anyone say he was doing a lawn analysis? Don't thrash the guy because he is part of a franchise. At least he is measuring the lawn and not guessing. If he does not run the lead while it is hot don't you think his competition will. Franchises are independentally owned and are about as good as their owners. Just like any other business there are good and bad operations.

No they didn't. And it's pretty obvious they couldn't. Measuring a lawn is just part of giving a customer an honest intelligent evaluation. Grass type, soil conditions, and a whole host of other factors also come into the estimate of service if your doing your potential customer right. Unless you can see through snow how do you look for existing problems. How do you sell the customer on services like aeration or grub control without at least looking at their lawn. Is it ok to " guess "at everything else involved in his quote????? They day I worry about the competition beating me to a lead because they don't care to evaluate the property they want to service I'll sell out. By the way it don't matter if it's a franchise, a national company or Joe's Lawn care........ it's the wrong way to do business. If it's just about the numbers go for it. My bank account tells me we must be doing something right.

mngrassguy
02-03-2009, 10:24 PM
I measured a condo project yesterday. I'm bad too.:cry:

Hissing Cobra
02-03-2009, 10:27 PM
When Scotts bought out the company I was working for, they instituted this practice. Why? I don't know. However, it was ridiculous and produced hardly any sales. It's just a huge waste of time, produces negative views of your company, and creates a very unhealthy work environment for your employees because they're the ones who have to look like fools in the cold weather.

It was one of the many reasons why I quit working for them. I fired them, they didn't fire me!

grassman177
02-03-2009, 10:50 PM
yeah, jsut plain stupid . nothing could convince me to ever go to a lawn to bid anything in the snow or ice. unless jessica simpson was there in a bathing suit runnig around loosing parts of it!!! that would encourage me, but pretty unlikely

pieperlc
02-03-2009, 10:53 PM
Why can't he measure in the snow? No he can't do an analysis, but he's probably selling the 5 step program plus aeration anyway. Maybe the customer told this company exactly what he/she wanted based on what was done before in order to compare prices?

group501
02-04-2009, 07:41 AM
I guess that whether you measure a lawn in the snow is dependent on your individual business model. After we measure a lawn in the winter we leave a contract behind which explains exactly what is covered by our program and what the prospective customer can expect from our services. Every time that we service the lawn we evaluate the property and leave a feedback sheet for the customer along with the service information sheet. I leave a statement on the bottom of our contract which states that a complete lawn analysis will be done with the first service after the snow has melted. I don't understand why others would let the lead get cold (pun intended).

grassman177
02-04-2009, 09:12 AM
i could care less about cold, but in the snow?! you cant tell where the lawn is. that part is just plain stupid. and ice?! why risk your health and broken bones for some grass, it will still be there after the thaw and i have never met a customer that was such a big ass they could not understand the diesire to wait to measure a lawn in slightly better conditions. if they dont understand that then they are unrealistic and not worth my time.that is what i am geting at, doenst that make sense to anyone?

mngrassguy
02-04-2009, 09:29 AM
'Cause the early bird gets the worm.

ted putnam
02-04-2009, 09:31 AM
i could care less about cold, but in the snow?! you cant tell where the lawn is. that part is just plain stupid. and ice?! why risk your health and broken bones for some grass, it will still be there after the thaw and i have never met a customer that was such a big ass they could not understand the diesire to wait to measure a lawn in slightly better conditions. if they dont understand that then they are unrealistic and not worth my time.that is what i am geting at, doenst that make sense to anyone?

Uh...makes perfect sense to me. Also, if they are in a hurry because they are a "price shopper" as an earlier post mentioned...well, let's just say that they don't fit my definition of the customer I'm really looking for. They are almost guaranteed to be a PIA and will probably "jump ship" with the first lowballer that knocks on their door. JMO

cod8825
02-04-2009, 10:37 AM
NO! NO! NO! NO! You guys are missing the point that is dedication. I mean crap to measure a lawn in blizzard conditions shows how much you bring to your craft.
:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Matt

Real Green
02-04-2009, 10:52 AM
yeah, jsut plain stupid . nothing could convince me to ever go to a lawn to bid anything in the snow or ice. unless jessica simpson was there in a bathing suit runnig around loosing parts of it!!! that would encourage me, but pretty unlikely

Dude, seriously... she's had one too many ham and turkey sandwiches to be utilizing for motivation. :laugh:

http://cm1.theinsider.com/media/0/344/52/1_28_09_jessica_simpson_1.0.0.0x0.451x600.jpeg

mngrassguy
02-04-2009, 10:59 AM
That maybe true in some cases. Most of the calls I'm getting now are from customer referrals. They are more interested in getting in on the early pre-pay offer than anything.

The condo bid I did Monday was more interested in getting someone to plow. Their previous LCO went under leaving them helpless. Out of 4 companies, I was the only one that showed that day. She gave me a copy of the old contract. My bid was 20% higher but she signed with me because I was so prompt. I went over this morning and picked up the contract along with their first months payment. She also gave me the names and addresses of 3 other locations that NEED bids asap.

I know this is an isolated case but I also know there are many more of these are out there.

ted putnam
02-04-2009, 11:08 AM
Dude, seriously... she's had one too many ham and turkey sandwiches to be utilizing for motivation. :laugh:

http://cm1.theinsider.com/media/0/344/52/1_28_09_jessica_simpson_1.0.0.0x0.451x600.jpeg

Agreed! She's a 1 hamburger away from being a pork chop. :laugh:

Turfdoctor1
02-04-2009, 11:17 AM
I guess I have a different outlook on this topic.

If I get a call from a customer, and they want a quote for lawn service, I'm doing it within 24 hours. Because, this is important to the customer, and it shows dedication to them.

Now, if there is snow on the ground, I wouldn't be able to make a perfect assessment. But, based on neighborhood, age of the lawn, grass type, size, etc., I could still give them a bid for general service. Then, once the snow melts, give them a more accurate analysis.

Plus, with new lawns, especially in dormant Bermuda like we have here, I'm not going to be able to assess their problems until spring or summer anyway. For example, they may have a Dallisgrass problem. Well, I'm not going to know that until the Dallisgrass comes out in the spring/summer. I can't wait until then to give them a bid, can I?

My point is, bidding on lawns the day or day after a customer asks for it goes a long way in the customer's mind. And, you do not have to sacrafice a professional analysis if you communicate with the customer that when it warms up you will have a better idea of their specific needs.

grassman177
02-04-2009, 11:33 AM
yeah i get it, man i do get back very quickly, but jsut not in crazy nasty weather.

nice photo, there has been alot of crap in the news aobut her gaining weight. she is still pretty hot. if only.............................

Whitey4
02-04-2009, 11:55 AM

If I get a call from a customer, and they want a quote for lawn service, I'm doing it within 24 hours. Because, this is important to the customer, and it shows dedication to them.

Now, if there is snow on the ground, I wouldn't be able to make a perfect assessment. But, based on neighborhood, age of the lawn, grass type, size, etc., I could still give them a bid for general service. Then, once the snow melts, give them a more accurate analysis.

Plus, with new lawns, especially in dormant Bermuda like we have here, I'm not going to be able to assess their problems until spring or summer anyway. For example, they may have a Dallisgrass problem. Well, I'm not going to know that until the Dallisgrass comes out in the spring/summer. I can't wait until then to give them a bid, can I?

My point is, bidding on lawns the day or day after a customer asks for it goes a long way in the customer's mind. And, you do not have to sacrafice a professional analysis if you communicate with the customer that when it warms up you will have a better idea of their specific needs.

I'm with you on this one. At least they have an idea of how much turf there is. I could not have said it better.

ted putnam
02-04-2009, 12:00 PM

I agree also. Of course, you and I rarely deal with 12 inches of snow so we don't have to worry about "public perception" in that respect. We live in a state that is nearly paralyzed by a 3-4 inch snow event.

Runner
02-04-2009, 12:23 PM

I'm with you on this one. At least they have an idea of how much turf there is. I could not have said it better.

Another thing you have to consider with this, is that these companies don't need to do a lawn analysis, nor do they use them when they DO an "analysis". This is because they just try to sell everything anyway. Take scotts for instance with their "14 step" program. They just give prices for everything, and then keep after the customer to put every application imaginable on their lawn - whether they need it or not. They sell surface insect control for the lawn, grub control, fungicide, shrub fertilizer, shrub insecticide, shrub fungicide, sunscreen, Retin A solutin to keep the trees from getting wrinkles, a conditioner to keep the lawn nice and shiny, and a freshener to keep you lawn smelling nice and fresh. Of course then, they want to come in for the aerations, dethatching, and overseeding of their "thermal blue" stuff. Did I miss anything?

JDUtah
02-04-2009, 01:24 PM
delete post please

KACYDS
02-04-2009, 01:43 PM

and I am ready to eat......................lol:laugh:

ted putnam
02-04-2009, 01:48 PM
and I am ready to eat......................lol:laugh:

Slightly chunky girls need luvin too! I didn't say I'd slam the door in her face!:laugh:

Whitey4
02-04-2009, 02:00 PM
Slightly chunky girls need luvin too! I didn't say I'd slam the door in her face!:laugh:

What exactly WOULD you slam in her face? :confused::cool2:

KACYDS
02-04-2009, 02:04 PM
What exactly WOULD you slam in her face? :confused::cool2:

Hotdogs...................lol:laugh:

KACYDS
02-04-2009, 02:16 PM
and heres the proof.........:laugh:

grassman177
02-04-2009, 02:31 PM
this thread got dirty. i bet she can eat a lot of meat

ted putnam
02-04-2009, 02:32 PM
Hotdogs...................lol:laugh:

If I were Polish, I'd say Polish Sausage...but :laugh::laugh::cry: Ya'll are killin me here...:laugh::laugh: Geez, I've got tears I'm laughin so much...OMG

mngrassguy
02-04-2009, 02:45 PM
Back to measuring lawns in the snow....

Aw, never mind. She's HOT!!!

She kinda looks like my wife.did

rcreech
02-04-2009, 07:54 PM

You'd still do er! :laugh:

rcreech
02-04-2009, 07:55 PM

.....and I know you would too!!!!!! :laugh:

turf hokie
02-04-2009, 07:56 PM
.....and I know you would too!!!!!! :laugh:

Dude, I agree, do you really think you buds would say

"Uh, yeah, But ah you hit when she was fat"

No way, high fives ALL around:waving:

rcreech
02-04-2009, 08:01 PM
If you guys are bashing someone for measuring in the snow...you will REALLY bash me!

I just measured about 60 lawns last week from my EZ chair using GOiLawn.

It is awesome!

There was 8" of snow on the ground and it was 20 degrees outside and I was measuring lawns in my sweat pants and a T-shirt and no fuel and very little time involved!

Had a guy call me last Thursday and I measured his commercial prop and had an estimate to him that afternoon...and never left the house!

Why do this?????

Get a price in hand and get the work....and do the lawn analysis later or during the first app.

AintNoFun
02-04-2009, 09:55 PM
yea whats wrong with it... do your bills stop coming over the winter?

treegal1
02-04-2009, 10:08 PM
here ya go boys take your pick........

what is this snow you all talk of????????

Turfdoctor1
02-04-2009, 10:11 PM
If you guys are bashing someone for measuring in the snow...you will REALLY bash me!

I just measured about 60 lawns last week from my EZ chair using GOiLawn.

It is awesome!

There was 8" of snow on the ground and it was 20 degrees outside and I was measuring lawns in my sweat pants and a T-shirt and no fuel and very little time involved!

Had a guy call me last Thursday and I measured his commercial prop and had an estimate to him that afternoon...and never left the house!

Why do this?????

Get a price in hand and get the work....and do the lawn analysis later or during the first app.

how in the world do you have 60 new accounts this time of the year? Subcontracted? very nice gig there.

rcreech
02-04-2009, 10:34 PM
how in the world do you have 60 new accounts this time of the year? Subcontracted? very nice gig there.

Yeah!

Just picked up about 70 accounts (subbed) from an AWESOME landscaping company.

Not to brag...but business is VERY GOOD in our area right now! I have picked up a lot of work on top of the 70 accounts. Have picked up 2 more commercial accounts this week already.

Life is pretty good right now!

rcreech
02-04-2009, 10:36 PM
Dude, I agree, do you really think you buds would say

"Uh, yeah, But ah you hit when she was fat"

No way, high fives ALL around:waving:

You know what they say:

Fat women are like mopeds......they are fun to ride, you just don't want your friends to see you on them! :laugh:

treegal1
02-04-2009, 10:40 PM
:laugh:You know what they say:

Fat women are like mopeds......they are fun to ride, you just don't want your friends to see you on them! :laugh:so i can put your down for #4?? the feed cost is killing me....:laugh:

Whitey4
02-04-2009, 11:13 PM
Yeah!

Just picked up about 70 accounts (subbed) from an AWESOME landscaping company.

Not to brag...but business is VERY GOOD in our area right now! I have picked up a lot of work on top of the 70 accounts. Have picked up 2 more commercial accounts this week already.

Life is pretty good right now!

Is this the same Rodney who sounded like chicken little just 5 months ago? You were convinced the sky was falling.

Times can get tough, things can look bleak, but companies that provide quality workmanship, no matter the product, will always weather the storm if they stick to their guns and do what made them successful in the first place. I guess you won't be selling the biz anytime soon? :laugh:

rcreech
02-04-2009, 11:39 PM
Is this the same Rodney who sounded like chicken little just 5 months ago? You were convinced the sky was falling.

Times can get tough, things can look bleak, but companies that provide quality workmanship, no matter the product, will always weather the storm if they stick to their guns and do what made them successful in the first place. I guess you won't be selling the biz anytime soon? :laugh:

I know! :laugh:

I did think the world was falling...but now it seems better then ever!

Life and this business is like a rollercoaster sometimes...but the scary thing is, you can go down faster then you go up!

THC
02-11-2009, 07:34 PM
Weedman did a pricing on my mothers lawn in March in Canada. 2 feet of snow on the ground. She apparently needed everything, aeration, spray for bugs..