PDA

View Full Version : Gopher control

ewilson
02-03-2009, 06:49 PM
Who has tried to kill pocket gophers? What works? Has anyone used Talpirid, Kaput, or the sonic/electronic devices? We are in South Central Texas and have an infestation and alot of tunnels, and are wondering what the most effective control is. Thanks!

a plus bob
02-03-2009, 07:46 PM
rozol I use it for moles also works awesome!

a plus bob
02-03-2009, 08:05 PM
forgot to say i get it from helena.ITS made for pocket gophers but works just as well for moles.I tried talprin with no luck plus they will melt and then are useless.have used it for years.

br549oicu8
02-03-2009, 10:05 PM
Was doing a little research on the product you mentioned and came across this info:
http://www.audubonofkansas.org/PrairieDogs/secondarypoison.html

Looks like a concern is that the deceased animal becomes food for another animal.
Interesting..
I will research further as we have big mole problems around here. The article does talk about control of prairie dogs but the concern would be the same.
Comments from your experiences???

Thanks!!

a plus bob
02-03-2009, 10:26 PM
never had any problems I dont do inside of fenced areas with dogs if they are left out all day.usually do three apps.7-10 days apart.$250 for 3 apps.sold in 5 gal buckets around 40-50.00.use less than5 lbs 3 treatments

grassman177
02-03-2009, 10:47 PM
we buy from helena too, i will check into this product with my dad. the article he found was a small argument against it though. food for thought

stressed
02-04-2009, 09:02 AM
gophers or golfers,havent you evr watched caddyshack,stick a water hose in the tunnels or use tnt

jjfurs
02-13-2009, 10:25 PM
best way to know you have killed the animal is to SEE it, with all poisons out there, it can't be guaranteed unless you can see a body, we trap moles and trapping gophers is the best solution, then you know they are dead.

kirk1701
02-17-2010, 12:42 AM
Have a look see here:
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=263471&page=11

Been having some fun killing moles this winter with this trap, might start me a mole skin coat :laugh:

I'm sure gophers will work with this trap just the same.

sandwedgeking
02-19-2010, 11:28 AM
I've seen an assistant greenskeeper at a golf course try an array of methods, even C-4. Although it was all quite exciting, ultimately none of his techniques appeared to be effective.

nik
02-23-2010, 08:43 PM
Generally speaking, gophers like to start with tender roots and leaves in ther diet. When it dries out during the year and the new growth becomes less available, sgophers look to other food sources. Baiting when and where there is lots of natural (to them at least) food means your baits are lower on the menu.

Getting the bait in their runs where they have to come in to contact with it does eventually result in their eating it. Just don't be surprised if you do a ton of baiting and they don't seem to be dying off. Macabee style tarps work great, as do box traps. Macabee trapps end to end in a tunnel is ALMOST foolproof. The downside to traps is that you sometimes do more damage digging in to set them than the gophers were doing. But, when you have a dead gopher ion your trap you know you got it. Also, tie a wire to the trap and stake it down. Otherwise you have a free meal waiting for a skunk or coon or dog or coyote , etc.

Not for the feint of heart is Aluminum Phosphide. Application work is simple, probe the ground till you find a tunnel, drop in some pellets, and close the hole. Your done. Very little damage involved and the product just kicks major butt. It is just about the most dangerous and restricted pesticide out there. You need lots of paperwork for it, placarding for your vehicle, and you have the potential of killing not only the gophers but people as well if you are not extremely careful. I had extensive experience with it years ago. We would turn a county park that was more mounds than grass into nothing but grass in a couple of applications.

Grants Giant Killer (sulfur dioxide) works pretty darn good. Similar to the aluminum phosphide but you can get it in farm and retail stores.

If the infestation is as bad as you say it is, I'd spring for a lot of traps and work them that way. Not sure about your license status or requirements in TX, but the EPA is making pelleted, granular, groats, or treated grain rodenticides will become Restricted Use by the end of this year or next. If you have a license you will still be able to buy the baits. The availability to homeowners and unlicensed folks will be gone.

Otherwise the only thing that will be available are bait blocks