PDA

View Full Version : Making My Next Step

RayzorsEdge
02-03-2009, 07:15 PM
I started my business at 22 with a business that I purchased. I began with a 48' scag w/b, 5x8 trailer, home owner trimmer and blower, 4cyl. Ford Ranger and 35 customers. Within a year and a half I was up to 95 customers. I upgraded to a Dixie chopper zero turn with collection system, 52" lesco and used 52" scag hydro (as a back up) w/b's, 2 stihl trimmers, 2 echo backpack blowers, 6x12 open trailer, and a GMC 1500 with a plow. At this time, I weeded out customers who were not on route and less profitable. I ended up with 75 customers, about 10 year round commercial contracts. My father has 25 yrs experience in tree removal for municipality and retired, so we ventured into the tree removal business. I sent out my lawn crew while we tackled trees. We know own a 97 international with a 55' boom, 06' ford LCF for a Chip truck/leaf box/mulch delivery, 03' chevy 3500 with a mason dump, 97 vermeer 12" chipper, 07" Mahindra Tractor, 07" sc252 Stump Grinder, 7x16' big tex 10PI Open trailer. My lawn crew did great this year, but Ive realized how much I need to grow that side of the business. So I will be focusing on my lawns this year and partnering with a friend to help with managing everything. My tree business did fantastic, but nothing is guaranteed for tree removal. I expect to double my lawns over the next 2 years. I expect to keep my tree removal equipment and remove trees, but choose my jobs wiser than I have in the past.

DLAWNS
02-03-2009, 07:18 PM
Good luck in the upcoming season and welcome to Lawnsite!

RayzorsEdge
02-04-2009, 09:25 PM
Thank you very much!

lawnmastersoftyler
02-05-2009, 12:51 PM
Sounds like You and I have similar start up stories. Did you work two jobs when you first got started?

RayzorsEdge
02-05-2009, 09:09 PM
No, I didn't work two jobs only because I was fortunate to be living at home rent free. When I took on the business from the previous owner, I had enough work to keep me really busy.