PDA

View Full Version : So what would you do

cod8825
02-03-2009, 09:00 PM
Ok here is the deal. We are bidding on a MoDot roadside mowing and weed control contract. We are talking close to 180 acres of mowing which my partner is taking care and close to 27 acres of flower beds. Actually in the contract they say 1,263,000 sq ft of beds. Now I know how to figure the cost of product but I want some input on
1) products you would use
2) Cost models you would use
3) How you would apply product.

The bid does not specify how many beds there are. I drove the property today and the beds are spread out over a nine mile track of the road on both sides and in the median. Some of the beds are on hills, flat area and so on and so forth. They are wanting pricing for two pre-emergent apps and three post-emergent apps.

I was debating between between granular vs liquid and some ideas of xlg2 or going like Gallery and Barricade something like that so I welcome all ideas.

Thanks for the help

greendoctor
02-04-2009, 01:41 AM
I would plan on the need to apply a mix of Gallery + Barricade or Dimension and Gallery for the preemergent part. Ronstar is another option, depending on the plant material in question. Then for postemergent weed control, depending on what type of weeds break through and the ornamentals in question, directed applications of Fusilade, Lontrel or RoundUp. It is hard to tell you more until I know more about what is planted in those beds. Fusilade and Lontrel might not be a good idea with some plant material. Among tolerant shrubs, Sedgehammer may be used with the RoundUp for nutsedge control. As for pricing, I break it down by a 30% retail margin on product needed per acre covered + your labor and operating costs to apply to an acre.

Turfdoctor1
02-04-2009, 09:48 AM
i have never bid anything that scale, in terms of beds. However, the large lawn contracts that I have bid have proven to think they want a lawn care program, until they see the price. Hopefully this is a different scenario for you.

My guess is that if you bid using Gallery and Barricade, you got no shot at getting the contract. However, I think that is the professional choice. Someone else is sure to come back with a low bid and not actually do the work, especially if they are wanting 3 post-emerge applications.

Are the beds empty? What kind of post-emerge can you do in full landscape beds? Anything to kill broadleaf weeds is also going to kill or damage the plant material. I guess Green Doctor already addressed this issue. Lontrel might be ok, in some circumstances, but it would make me real nervous.

cod8825
02-04-2009, 11:10 AM
Turf and green thanks for the input.

Turf mostly they planted barberry's and oak trees and alot of creeping junipers sea green junipers where the most that I saw. I was driving 55 mph when I looked. Also for the entire project last year in 2008 the company that was awarded the mowing and pesticide contract was granted it for $495K. I told my boss to look at at least 19K for pre-emergent. I am thinking cost wise 3k for materials and two to three days to apply.

cod8825
02-04-2009, 11:11 AM

Turf mostly they planted barberry's and oak trees and alot of creeping junipers sea green junipers where the most that I saw. I was driving 55 mph when I looked. Also for the entire project last year in 2008 the company that was awarded the mowing and pesticide contract was granted it for $495K. I told my boss to look at at least 19K for pre-emergent. I am thinking cost wise 3k for materials and two to three days to apply.

Turfdoctor1
02-04-2009, 11:28 AM

Wow. that is one heck of a contract! it sounds like they do want the whole shabang.

I would think 3K for product costs is a pretty good estimate for the Gallery/Barricade mix. 3 days to apply would be huffing it, but it could probably be done. $16K for 3 days of labor sounds like a lot to me. Even at $200 per hour for 30 hours, you are looking at $6K in labor.

hope it works out.