PDA

View Full Version : Liscensing in South FL blues

abadiet
02-03-2009, 09:21 PM
So heres the deal i recently got out the navy and started to work for my fathers company we do everything as far as property maintenance. Which includes pest control that we have been subcontracting out to a family member, but he has recently been more and more unreliable and im to the point were im tired having to waste time through missed appointment etc. So i started researching on how i could go about getting my liscense and turns out that i need 3yrs experiance with a liscensed applicator or a 4 year degree in entomology. My problem is i work full time manageing the company and although i am working on a degree its not entomology. So am i screwed? Any other way expidite the process? I would love to get this liscense but it seems it may be just out of my reach:dizzy:

abadiet
02-05-2009, 12:52 PM
Bump, bump the thread bump it up, lets get this party started. Come on fellas need some direction

Ric
02-05-2009, 01:04 PM
Bump, bump the thread bump it up, lets get this party started. Come on fellas need some direction

abadiet

As a Fla CPO I am not sure what to tell you. There are reasons for the Fla Certification laws. As a property manager, you wouldn't hire an unlicensed electrician to make repairs and you wouldn't keep using one who didn't do the job.

So you have two options. Hire an other company or hire a CPO and apply for your own license with that $ 50,000 a year CPO as your CPOIC.

abadiet
02-05-2009, 01:27 PM
abadiet

As a Fla CPO I am not sure what to tell you. There are reasons for the Fla Certification laws. As a property manager, you wouldn't hire an unlicensed electrician to make repairs and you wouldn't keep using one who didn't do the job.

So you have two options. Hire an other company or hire a CPO and apply for your own license with that $ 50,000 a year CPO as your CPOIC.

wow, that kind of stinks i wonder how all those little pest control companies running around here all over the place got thiers, probably un liscensed

tamadrummer
02-05-2009, 01:32 PM
Work for another company for 3 years then take the test. There is a guy in here that is offering to be a ghost operator to get you your time but it costs money in turn for that.

Look around in your area for someone that is looking to retire and get them to sign on and teach you the ropes.

There are ways but you need to do it right and get the knowledge to go with the license.

abadiet
02-05-2009, 01:56 PM
I agree, having the knowledge is important but it almost seems that unless you have 3 years time or money to pay someone your up the creek with out a paddle. I did come across a class that said they would liscense you in 6hours seemed a little off so i didnt go but is this in fact legit. My scanner decided not to work today so i took a picture

tamadrummer
02-05-2009, 02:06 PM
That is what I have. It is just for flower beds maintenance. Nothing over signal word Caution can be used and you cannot advertise that you can do this. No signs or anything.

It is worth having so that you can carry roundup and bifen but you cannot spray on the turf only the plants.

abadiet
02-05-2009, 02:10 PM
and having that particular liscense for three years wont go towards the 3 years experiance required to get the full liscense will it? that would almost be kind of "to easy"

tamadrummer
02-05-2009, 02:14 PM
Right, it will not get you even one second closer to the 3 years.

For good reason, it will not teach you anything you need to know about applying pesticides to turf over large areas near water or areas with animals and children.

You also cannot use Warning/Danger labeled chemicals so you get ZERO experience at applying those. You really don't want to be involved in messing with these and not know what you are doing.

Ric
02-05-2009, 02:37 PM
Yo

There are Loop holes in the law, but I am not going to post them. I worked hard and legal to get my certification and I prize it too much to tell the world how to beat the system.

I already read too many posts here by people who don't have the first clue and are certified. Why would I want to add to that ignorance by telling how to beat the system. If you want to play game, then pay the price. BTW It cost as much to work the loop holes as doing it right in the first place.

GrassmasterB
02-08-2009, 02:25 AM
ric or tamadrummer, i'm going to be taking the lclm test on tuesday. do you guys have any advice or hints as to which sections i should concentrate my studies on? i'v already taken the 6 hr class and read the 2 books twice, so i feel like the test shouldn't be a problem, but at $150.00 i wouldn't want to take the test again. i appreciate any advice you might have.

Ric
02-08-2009, 10:31 AM
ric or tamadrummer, i'm going to be taking the lclm test on tuesday. do you guys have any advice or hints as to which sections i should concentrate my studies on? i'v already taken the 6 hr class and read the 2 books twice, so i feel like the test shouldn't be a problem, but at $150.00 i wouldn't want to take the test again. i appreciate any advice you might have.

GrassB

I used to teach the 6 hr CEU class for the Limited Roundup license test. If you can read a label and know the law, you can past the test. That License & test is more of a tax stamp that anyone should be able to pass. You must be in Lee county because they always test on the second Tuesday of the month.

GrassmasterB
02-08-2009, 10:48 AM
GrassB

I used to teach the 6 hr CEU class for the Limited Roundup license test. If you can read a label and know the law, you can past the test. That License & test is more of a tax stamp that anyone should be able to pass. You must be in Lee county because they always test on the second Tuesday of the month.

thanks ric. actually i live in duval, but i'm taking the test in nassau. nassau is a small county and i think they can test any day as long as you schedule it ahead of time. duval does the test first wednesday of each month but i wasn't ready last week.

Ric
02-08-2009, 11:03 AM
thanks ric. actually i live in duval, but i'm taking the test in nassau. nassau is a small county and i think they can test any day as long as you schedule it ahead of time. duval does the test first wednesday of each month but i wasn't ready last week.

Yes Duval County South Georgia. Yes that is in Yankee land. We who live in tropical Florida don't consider that part of the real Florida.:)

GrassmasterB
02-08-2009, 11:24 AM
Yes Duval County South Georgia. Yes that is in Yankee land. We who live in tropical Florida don't consider that part of the real Florida.:)

after last weeks 4 days of freezing temps, 2 of which were down around 17* i would also consider us south georgia.

tamadrummer
02-08-2009, 03:46 PM
Grassmaster,

If you can hold a pencil you can pass the Limited License.

They will actually cover every single question on the exam in the class. It is almost scary because you are taking the test wondering if it could be possible that they truly gave you every answer in the class!

Good Luck and have a blast,
It takes a full 30 days to get your license in the mail.