PDA

View Full Version : bermuda/zoysia lawn guys question?

tbettis
02-03-2009, 08:33 PM
do you guys scalp the very first cut of the spring. if so why or why not.

whats the purpose?

Paradise Yard Service
02-07-2009, 10:48 PM
In Hawaii we basically do it whenever the need arises. Usually because the thatch was way too much/customer neglect. Turf rake/verti-cuter (Bluebird) type machine or just a good blade on the Shindy c-27 (ya I go back a ways) for postage stamps. Be ready for ALOT of fluffy dead stuff.
I could see that a good dethatching/scalp would be in order after winter dormancy for the US mainland. After be sure to use good starter fert (middle number bigger) we use Gaviota 10-30-10 granular, and let it rain! Follow up with regular fert. and 10 blade reel mower evry few days and you'll have a putting green!

Aloha

tbettis
02-08-2009, 08:44 AM
interesting

mrmumbels
03-17-2009, 08:31 PM
i'm interested in the scalping thing too. I have a full empire zoysia lawn up front with a little ultimate flora zoysia in the back. I stupidly scalped it in the fall last year before it went dormant and really screwed it up. This year it went totally dormant with the low 20 degree weather and it's super thick and dead.

dave k
03-26-2009, 06:43 PM
I have Emerald Green Zoysia and I just scalped mine taking it down to 1/4" using my Locke reel. Will let it grow up to 1/2 inch and than 3/4.
It take's all the dead blades off and helps the ground to heat up, my lawn is already green, the only one in the S.D.
Mr. Mumbells, How did your lawn do with the drying out in area's.

I also scalp the bermuda down to 1/4" as well.

sandman23
03-26-2009, 07:07 PM
Scalp and aerate this time of year only. Scalping removes all the dead dormant Bermuda and Zoysia. Aerating reduces compaction. The two together promote healthy, new growth. I slowly bring mine up throughout the year. Never scalp in the fall. You want to protect the soil for the winter.

mrmumbels
03-26-2009, 07:33 PM
I have Emerald Green Zoysia and I just scalped mine taking it down to 1/4" using my Locke reel. Will let it grow up to 1/2 inch and than 3/4.
It take's all the dead blades off and helps the ground to heat up, my lawn is already green, the only one in the S.D.
Mr. Mumbells, How did your lawn do with the drying out in area's.

I also scalp the bermuda down to 1/4" as well.

It died up in those areas all last year. Just bad roots for those areas for some reason. I still don't understand it. I hope it's better this year.

Around here (Tampa), all the st Augustine lawns are coming up real green but mine is still trying. I just scalped it last week though. Do you have pics of yours? How often do you water right now.

The Elements Group
03-26-2009, 11:17 PM
burn it .. seriously and watch it grow into a lush lawn