PDA

View Full Version : 24v Install

Mayor_tx
02-03-2009, 08:56 PM
We just installed our first 24 volt system. All Unique products and I was pretty impressed on the amount of wire/homeruns and time it saved me. I was just wondering what pros and cons you have on 24 volt so far.

Thanks!

The Lighting Geek
02-04-2009, 12:21 AM
I installed a 260 fixture job with 24v and it saved me a bundle on wire.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
02-04-2009, 07:47 AM
Tommy, you know I have respect for you, your business and your talent, so I am not trying to be-little you in any way here....

I gotta say about your comment above; "So what?" So you saved some money on wire, meaning your client saved some money on wire. Is that the only advantage you have found? A 260 fixture installation is not (or should not) be chump change in the first place. On a $80 to $100K lighting system (minimum if you are "doing it right") do you really think that saving some money on wire is of great importance? Was saving a couple of grand on wire the difference between you getting the job and someone else getting the job? I would think that a client in that strata is hiring you based on performance and not just on cost. Am I wrong?

I do understand the technical advantages of 24V power systems. There is a time and a place where they might be more competitive or better suited to a specific application (remotely located transformers for interior applications is one example) but I for one think that our industry should be moving towards standardization rather than fragmenting more into factions.

Regards.

Eden Lights
02-04-2009, 09:13 AM
Does GE CC have a full 24V MR line?

JoeyD
02-04-2009, 09:26 AM
We just installed our first 24 volt system. All Unique products and I was pretty impressed on the amount of wire/homeruns and time it saved me. I was just wondering what pros and cons you have on 24 volt so far.

Thanks!

That is awesome!!! THe 24v system is taking off!! The wire is a huge advantage over standard 12v systems but so is the ability to capatilize on more lights per transformer. Let me know if you have any questions moving forward!! What fixtures did you use?

I installed a 260 fixture job with 24v and it saved me a bundle on wire.

Thats one of the biggest perks!!!!!

JoeyD
02-04-2009, 09:27 AM
Does GE CC have a full 24V MR line?

Not sure on the CC but I know we are using GE for majority of our 24v MR16's and our beloved PAR lamps.....

Lite4
02-04-2009, 12:16 PM
Tommy, you know I have respect for you, your business and your talent, so I am not trying to be-little you in any way here....

I gotta say about your comment above; "So what?" So you saved some money on wire, meaning your client saved some money on wire. Is that the only advantage you have found? A 260 fixture installation is not (or should not) be chump change in the first place. On a $80 to $100K lighting system (minimum if you are "doing it right") do you really think that saving some money on wire is of great importance? Was saving a couple of grand on wire the difference between you getting the job and someone else getting the job? I would think that a client in that strata is hiring you based on performance and not just on cost. Am I wrong?

I do understand the technical advantages of 24V power systems. There is a time and a place where they might be more competitive or better suited to a specific application (remotely located transformers for interior applications is one example) but I for one think that our industry should be moving towards standardization rather than fragmenting more into factions.

Regards.

James,
I think you may have misunderstood what Tommy was implying. I don't think he used the 24v to make it cheaper for his customers, I think he was commenting on putting some additional $ in his pocket at the end of his job over a 12volt based system by not having to buy as much wire. I think he was referring to increasing his bottom line and not the homeowners. Just my impression though.

JoeyD
02-04-2009, 12:24 PM
Maybe he meant that his install was more effecient and didnt waste as much wire also? Maybe he also meant that he was able to use smaller guage cable and make use of fewer transformers?? Maybe he meant he was not afraid to step outside of his comfort zone and try something NEW?? Maybe he realized everything we do is NOT smoke in mirrors as some may suggest in bad letters sent by competing manufacturers??

Maybe I just think to much....Maybe?

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
02-04-2009, 02:48 PM
Maybe Joey, maybe! :)

Also, keep in mind that in some jurisdictions, we are regulated at to what construes a LV Outdoor lighting system.

Have a great day.

TXNSLighting
02-04-2009, 09:20 PM
Maybe he meant that his install was more effecient and didnt waste as much wire also? Maybe he also meant that he was able to use smaller guage cable and make use of fewer transformers?? Maybe he meant he was not afraid to step outside of his comfort zone and try something NEW?? Maybe he realized everything we do is NOT smoke in mirrors as some may suggest in bad letters sent by competing manufacturers??

Maybe I just think to much....Maybe?

:laugh::laugh:

S&MLL
02-04-2009, 09:37 PM
I think it would be more expensive to stock all my bulbs*2 for 12 and 24 volt.

The Lighting Geek
02-04-2009, 10:26 PM
James, I installed the job using the 24 volt system because I thought it would help with some issues specific to that job. It turned out I used less wire which helped my bottom line. It also helped in the long runs I had to do since VD was not as bad and I could still load the wire appropriately. The job was around 70k including some fiber optic and a pool equipment control system. It is using about 15-20 percent less power from what I can tell. I may be wrong here, but I believe the savings is due the reduced VD. The other thing I noticed is the voltage range at the lamp is double so you can run at 22-22.5 without compromising the light output, therefore the bulbs should last longer. I did not use 24v initially to save money, but to facilitate the installation.

TXNSLighting
02-04-2009, 11:34 PM
Have you posted pics of that job Tommy? I would like to see em...

The Lighting Geek
02-05-2009, 12:05 AM
I lost the rest of the pictures when they stole my laptop, I'll have to go and reshoot it. Here is a picture of the fountain with fiber optic with 20 different holes drilled and filled with fiber. The customer about freaked, had to send her shopping...LOL

Mark B
02-05-2009, 07:45 AM
You have to love it when someone opens mouth and inserts both feet.

TXNSLighting
02-05-2009, 10:42 AM
I remember that picture. I think theres a few on your website of it.

JoeyD
02-05-2009, 11:05 AM
Very nice Tommy!! The voltage range in 24v for powering the halogen lamps is also a huge plus....21.6-24v!! Much better than the 10.8-12v in 12v lighting.

As James said Canada may be...?.... regulating anything beyond 15v will kill people but thank goodness for NEC Article 411 stating that SAFE LOW VOLTAGE is 30v or less!!!

By the way did I tell you guys we have a 1838watt transformer coming out????