PDA

View Full Version : When should I change my oil?

South Florida Lawns
02-03-2009, 09:23 PM
I'm near 6k miles on Mobile 1 and my oil light has not gone off yet, oil is light brown on dipstick. I used to change at 4 regardless of the light coming on or not, think I'll go longer this time. What do you guys running synthetic suggest?

AmsoilPower
02-03-2009, 09:51 PM
Run it until the light comes on. Drain it and fill w/ Amsoil and see how many miles you go until the light comes on again. I would be curious to know.

Jason Rose
02-03-2009, 10:02 PM
The oil light on Chevy/GMC's is triggered by engine hours, not miles or how dirty the oil is... Evidently you are doing a lot of highway driving?

My GMC was running around 3,500 to 4,000 miles between reset and when it came on again. I generally do a lot of stop and go type driving. I used to cannge the oil based on 3,000 miles, but engine hours (the light) is a better guage. Now that I'm running Amsoil I will change my filter (wix) when the light comes on.

South Florida Lawns
02-03-2009, 10:20 PM
Run it until the light comes on. Drain it and fill w/ Amsoil and see how many miles you go until the light comes on again. I would be curious to know.

Yeah I already switched over to Amsoil, but seems the oil in my truck doesn't need changing yet so it will be a while. I'll let ya know my thoughts when I switch.

Jason I took a lil trip to West Virginia back in December and the rest has been all stop and go driving, pulling my trailer.

tamadrummer
02-03-2009, 10:33 PM
I just ordered the EaO filters from Amsoil and on my next change they will be used as well as the 10w30 fully synthetic.

The filters are supposed to be rated at 25k miles.

I hope it will make a difference...

South Florida Lawns
02-03-2009, 10:34 PM
what truck will you put those filters on?

WH401
02-04-2009, 07:36 AM
I just ordered the EaO filters from Amsoil and on my next change they will be used as well as the 10w30 fully synthetic.

The filters are supposed to be rated at 25k miles.

I hope it will make a difference...

Recently, I used Amsoil's 15w-40 HD Diesel and Marine oil with an EaO filter on an 01' 7.3 Powerstroke. Ran it in there for about 12k, which was the total mileage after a year, and had a UOA taken of the oil and it came back as normal. Also most of those mile's consisted of "severe service" miles, being that the regular to commute to work for that vehicle is only an 8 mile round trip. It get's fully warm in that time, but short trip's are still hard on anything. The biggest reason I changed to it though was cold starts, it's great to hear the OP come up within a few second. Even when it's been sitting for the whole day and it's dead cold.

tamadrummer
02-04-2009, 08:25 AM
what truck will you put those filters on?

I am using them on my 2 Jeeps.

Mine is a 2004 Liberty and my wifes is a 2002 Grand Cherokee.

02DURAMAX
02-04-2009, 03:54 PM
I go about 7K with my Diesels.

churlchurl
02-04-2009, 10:32 PM
Hey 02 durama have you had to replace your injectors yet. I had to replace my water pump, glow plugs, a solenoid got stuck in my tranny, and injectors around that mileage of 107,000. I now have a coolant leak from somewhere that is very slow and will not get worse, which is good

nosparkplugs
02-04-2009, 10:44 PM
I'm near 6k miles on Mobile 1 and my oil light has not gone off yet, oil is light brown on dipstick. I used to change at 4 regardless of the light coming on or not, think I'll go longer this time. What do you guys running synthetic suggest?

I would switch to synthetic oil & synthetic oil filter draw a UOA when the engine hour light goes off, That should give you your baseline for oil change intervals.

South Florida Lawns
02-04-2009, 11:43 PM
I run both synthetic filter and oil from day one. How do I do UOA? What is that any way? Thanks!

AmsoilPower
02-04-2009, 11:56 PM
I run both synthetic filter and oil from day one. How do I do UOA? What is that any way? Thanks!

You can purchase the kits from Amsoil. Take a sample of oil, send it to the lab and they give you results of different kinds of minerals found in the oil. These minerals can come from engine components. If excessive amounts are found of a certain mineral, it could be a sign of excessive wear in a particular area of the engine. It will also give you the overall TBN of the oil and if you should change the oil or if it is ok for continued use.

AmsoilPower
02-04-2009, 11:58 PM
Here is a link for more info.

https://www.amsoil.com/storefront/oai.aspx

02DURAMAX
02-05-2009, 12:11 AM
Hey 02 durama have you had to replace your injectors yet. I had to replace my water pump, glow plugs, a solenoid got stuck in my tranny, and injectors around that mileage of 107,000. I now have a coolant leak from somewhere that is very slow and will not get worse, which is good

No I still have my Original Injectors.

I also have a very slow coolant leak..just can't fine where its from.:dizzy:

greenbaylawns
02-05-2009, 12:13 AM
Run it till it blows up and buy a Ford:)

02DURAMAX
02-05-2009, 12:16 AM
Run it till it blows up and buy a Ford:)

you mean...then get a DURAMAX!

greenbaylawns
02-05-2009, 12:19 AM
you mean...then get a DURAMAX!

7,000 miles, crying out loud, my turkey fryer's oil cleaner then that diesel oil

02DURAMAX
02-05-2009, 06:34 PM
7,000 miles, crying out loud, my turkey fryer's oil cleaner then that diesel oil

your point?

ProTouch Groundscapes
02-05-2009, 06:49 PM

ya whats your point? the service manual for our 6.4L PSD says 10K intervals for standard service. I used 5K intervals when i ran Mobil 1 full synth and good filters in my monte carlo. and it was pushing 320 crank hp and 450 crank tq with a slipping tranny.

Gravel Rat
02-06-2009, 04:07 AM
I find it funny when people say my oil isn't dark after xxxxxx miles. If its not going brown means the oil isn't keeping the contaminants suspended in the oil.

The only way you can judge the engine health is send out a oil sample judging by colour or smell or taste :laugh: isn't going to tell you.

You want to buy a Dodge anyhow so why are you worrying about engine oil run the oil till is black sludge :hammerhead:

02DURAMAX
02-06-2009, 10:28 AM
I find it funny when people say my oil isn't dark after xxxxxx miles. If its not going brown means the oil isn't keeping the contaminants suspended in the oil.

The only way you can judge the engine health is send out a oil sample judging by colour or smell or taste :laugh: isn't going to tell you.

You want to buy a Dodge anyhow so why are you worrying about engine oil run the oil till is black sludge :hammerhead:

I dont go buy color mine will get darker as soon as I start it.