PDA

View Full Version : Critique my website

FIRESCOOBY
02-03-2009, 10:51 PM
I used Intuit's website builder. I haven't done much work on it (as you'll be able to tell).

Give me your opinions on content, etc.

Thanks

www.premierlawn.org

atasteofnature
02-03-2009, 11:53 PM
pros: size of words easy to read, green good color, easy found tabs
cons:smooshed pictures, why is core aerator different?, a little to much useless info, need to read out loud to catch a few words to be changed around, not to appealing to me about the whole speaking english part but that is just me. i wouldn't use that as a way to sell or promote my business because that just shows your judging skills and if you are judgemental about things well...
good luck with your business this year and hope the website helps out

milsaps118
02-04-2009, 12:23 AM
A couple things that jumped out at me right off the bat.

1- Your first page is titled "Index", I think you should change it to "home" since I didn't see any reference to indexing on it. You also start out the first sentence by saying, "Welcome to the home of Premier Lawn Care & Landscapes, LLC." This had me confused, were you welcoming me to your "home page" or "home" meaning your place of business - Premier Lawn Care & Landscapes, LLC?

2- You made if clear to the reader in the first 2 pages that your a solo operator but then on your "services" page you start off by saying "we" and don't reinforce the "we" part, ie..."My service techs and I......", "My professionally trained team and I...." etc,etc....

Good start anyway, needs work though. Keep picking away at it and it should turn out great! Have fun with it and good luck!

kclawn1
02-05-2009, 12:14 PM
Looks good. Easy to remember domain name. I would agree with some of the other guys thoughts. Enlarge the pictures and stay consistent with "we" and "i". Good start, though.

PSTsmallengines
02-06-2009, 08:43 AM
Well????????
I really get a kick out of a lot of these wanabees, (laughs)

first off, here is what I think about your website my good man. I can be very critical on a lot, but who cares what the code is doing, and who cares what is going on with your clock and other stuff, what is mostly important is the content and what YOUR customers need to know, the people who are going to be using the web to search for a company to mow their lawns are not going to care one way or the other what your site looks like, of course they might want to know what your capable of.

If you built your own website I have to give you credit on a job which I think is really good for someone who might no little about web design, or maybe you do. I do know that I was able to navigate easy through your site, and again some people think just because your site doesn't validate (who the heck cares) is going to stop your customers from using your services.

I think that your website is pretty good, very simple clean and not a lot of BS in the back ground. I have seen some of these other guys websites who claim to be perfect, and they are just too busy. Keep up the good work, and give your customers as much information as possible.

A little more information and you will be just fine.

Frue
02-06-2009, 05:02 PM
I like it it has 2 code errors I dont like the pictures on the front page. Takes away from the information I do like the pictures tho. Clean page not bad.

MattL
02-07-2009, 03:11 AM
Hi, I think you did a great job on your website for some one who is not a programmer or designer. Here are some things I noticed that may be helpful to you.

Your website is to big for a screen resolution of 1024x768. It would make a good number of people have to side scroll, which a lot of people don't like doing. If at all possible maybe you could cut down the width by 100-200 pixels.

I like your navigation rollovers, they look really nice :) Maybe consider putting them side by side, instead of one under another. The reason I say that is cause it puts your content under "the fold". With them being side by side your potential clients would be able to read your content with out scrolling down the page.

Make use of your <title > tag and <h1> tags! These tags help with search engine optimization and I'd hate to see you lose free leads cause you didn't know about it. Try making your title some thing like "Premier Lawn Care & Landscapes Servicing Atlanta". Think about it a little and be sure to include the name of the areas you service. This will help people find you on the search engines.

oh, one last thing :) On your home page, I don't see a call to action. I think encouraging some one to call you for a free quote or some thing would be helpful. Don't forget to list your phone number right after your call to action!

I hope you find this helpful, if you need any help feel free to ask. I'm sure me or one of the other members can help you out :)

FIRESCOOBY
02-07-2009, 06:06 AM
Make use of your <title > tag and <h1> tags! These tags help with search engine optimization and I'd hate to see you lose free leads cause you didn't know about it.

Tell me more about these "tags".

Thanks everyone.

MattL
02-08-2009, 01:32 AM
Tell me more about these "tags".

Thanks everyone.

These html tags are two of the many factors Google looks at when ranking your website for specific keywords and phrases. The "Title" tag is one of the most important ones. The keywords you use in your title should be words you think people are using to search for when looking for products, or in this case services that you provide.

If we look at the title of the LawnSite.com, we see their title is:
LawnSite.com™ - Lawn Care & Landscaping Business Forum Powered by Moose River Media

So if we search for "Landscaping Business Forum" we should be able to find their website on Google, or other search engines. I did a search for both lawn care bussiness forum and landscaping business forum and their site came up in the top position for both terms.

What you want to do is, try placing terms in your title that you think people in your area might be using to find local lawn care business. This way you can show up on that list (hopefully at the top), so that they will contact you first.

Some possible search terms may be, Landscaping Atlanta, Landscaping in Atlanta, Atlanta Lawn Care, and so on. The best bet is to just try it out and use some type of software to track your stats. Which ever terms are bringing in traffic, getting you phone calls and new clients, those are the terms you will want to target.

I'd suggest just starting off with updating your title to Premier Lawn Care & Landscapes Atlanta GA You can do this by finding the following code on your index.html file:
<title>Home</title>
and replace it with this:
<title>Premier Lawn Care & Landscapes Atlanta GA</title>

Now those terms might not work out, but it's a good starting place, considering your title right now is "home" and I guarantee that isn't bringing in any targeted traffic (if any traffic at all).

Good luck, and if you need any help feel free to ask! :)

Kiril
02-10-2009, 10:38 AM
1) problem with the header image
2) Menu stinks IMHO. In that location it should be horizontal. Also getting some weird behavior with it in Firefox, however that could be due to one of my extensions.
3) What is with all the images used for spacing? Please learn and use CSS and you site will function far faster and smoother.
4) Too much fluff before the meat. Get your main content closer to the top of the initial view port.
5) and the code OMG .... it is beyond a mess .... script declarations inside the body :hammerhead: If you are coding this on your own, then you need to do some studying ... if you paid Intuit to do this for you, you should fire them and demand your money back.

So given the code nightmare ....

1) Code is not valid. Please validate!!

HTML: http://validator.w3.org/
CSS: http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/

2) Mixture of hardcoded style, inline style, linked style is a NIGHTMARE.
Separation of style and content is the recommended way to maintain your code.

3) Limited or no document structure/outline

http://www.w3.org/MarkUp/html-spec/html-spec_5.html

4) Limited or no accessibility compliance

WCAG/Sec508: http://www.cynthiasays.com/fulloptions.asp

tatmkr
02-12-2009, 10:57 AM
Artistic merit critique only:
- I am never a fan of centered heading, since peope read from left to right. I would shift it right.
- The middle picture is pretty bad and should be changed
- You should also add some landscape pictures that have some color in them. You have tons of green on the site, even if the only related service that you offer is the pruning, I would add some color to a pic on each page to ease the eye.

Team-Green L&L
02-19-2009, 12:12 PM
I don't have the time or patience to explain myself on this one, but start over unless you plan to start a non-profit Lawn Care Company. The rest is all listed in the above posts.