PDA

View Full Version : Nc irrigation liscense

The Yard Barber, Inc.
02-03-2009, 10:52 PM
Does anyone know anything about the new law requiring a liscense to install and repair irrigation systems. Where to take the test, if there is a grandfather clause. Any info would help.
Thanks

Waterit
02-04-2009, 01:45 AM
Does anyone know anything about the new law requiring a liscense to install and repair irrigation systems.

Don't know anything about NC, but have learned more than enough to rule out moving to Texas or Michigan.

ARGOS
02-04-2009, 08:55 AM
but have learned more than enough to rule out moving to Texas or Michigan.

Amen brother.

Mike Leary
02-04-2009, 09:35 AM
[QUOTE=MAB lawn care; Any info would help.Thanks[/QUOTE]
The State of Washington, where I have my contractor's liciense, has no test. I recently checked with Arizona, proof of experience, liability insurance and a bond is what they require. Check with your state contractor's division.

EagleLandscape
02-04-2009, 09:44 AM
Amen brother.

As much as this is about to sound cliche...

The more regulations that get put in place here, the more stuff we have to do. The more stuff we are required to do, the more we have to charge... And the more we have to charge means... we make more money per service call.

It used to be a rain sensor was suggested, now every homeowner is mandated to have one.

We charge 120 for the part + 15 - 30 minutes of labor, and we billed an extra 155.

It is something that the home owner should have in the first place to conserve water, now it has been mandated. I am in favor of that, because the customer no longer has the option to say "oh maybe next time, or I just turn my system off before it rains"

Waterit
02-04-2009, 09:54 AM
sorry for the double post!

Waterit
02-04-2009, 09:55 AM
As much as this is about to sound cliche...

The more regulations that get put in place here, the more stuff we have to do. The more stuff we are required to do, the more we have to charge... And the more we have to charge means... we make more money per service call.

It used to be a rain sensor was suggested, now every homeowner is mandated to have one.

We charge 120 for the part + 15 - 30 minutes of labor, and we billed an extra 155.

It is something that the home owner should have in the first place to conserve water, now it has been mandated. I am in favor of that, because the customer no longer has the option to say "oh maybe next time, or I just turn my system off before it rains"

Used to sell rain and freeze sensors as upgrades, rains became required by code a few years ago - still charge the same, but now they have no choice.

I put freezes on all my comm properties at my attorney's suggestion - potential liability issue removed at a profit!

Mike Leary
02-04-2009, 12:36 PM
sorry for the double post!

At least you finally got out of the "sticky".:laugh::laugh:

Waterit
02-04-2009, 06:18 PM
At least you finally got out of the "sticky".:laugh::laugh:

I heard that! What was it, 3 months? I'll never do that again:laugh:

Tony Clifton
02-05-2009, 04:06 PM
Does anyone know anything about the new law requiring a liscense to install and repair irrigation systems. Where to take the test, if there is a grandfather clause. Any info would help.
Thanks

As far as I understand they somewhat jumped the gun on the date the requirement would go into effect,,,which was either Jan. 1 2009 or July. The board is not even 100% set up, and there is no exam yet.
There is some grandfathering which makes no sense to me. If you have been in business x years you are exempt. Also, if you are a CIC you are exempt. I went ahead and took my CIC exam and hope to get my results back in the next 2 weeks and be exempt.
Do an internet search for "NC general assembly irrigation" and you will see the law.
I hope this helps, it was the lazy man's answer, it has been a while since I looked at the law and I did not feel like researching it before I responded. I am all for it, but I think they jumped the gun, have some stupid loopholes, and have tarnished the credibility by putting it into law before it was ready....be prepared for it in 2010 though.

Where in NC are you?

BrandonV
02-05-2009, 09:10 PM
thanks for the info Tony. You know whomever is in charge of all this needs to get on the ball. I heard they passed the law, heard they're were going to grandfather some of us but haven't heard anything else as in when, where and how.

h2oman
02-06-2009, 10:05 AM
I talked to the Pres. of the CIA (Carolina Irrigation Asso.) the other day and his words are "you will only get grandfathered in if you have the CIC or CID Lic. It doesn't matter if you have been doing this since birth, you must posses a CIC or CID to be grandfathered in. Also, the test for the State is the same as the test from the IA. If you can find someone around here administering the test, then go ahead and take it and you will be grandfathered in.:hammerhead: The State will not be checking for proof until the irrigation season goes full swing, April-May time frame." As far as having everyone one the board that is already in place. My question to him was "if I don't want to take the IA test, but take the test here by the state (I don't plan on moving out of state) when will that test be available?" His reply "I don't know, we are still trying to work out all the details :confused: the cost is going to be the same as taking it through the IA, so it is better to go ahead and sign up for it now through the IA."
Hope this helps

Tony Clifton
02-06-2009, 05:48 PM
I talked to the Pres. of the CIA (Carolina Irrigation Asso.) the other day and his words are "you will only get grandfathered in if you have the CIC or CID Lic. It doesn't matter if you have been doing this since birth, you must posses a CIC or CID to be grandfathered in. Also, the test for the State is the same as the test from the IA. If you can find someone around here administering the test, then go ahead and take it and you will be grandfathered in.:hammerhead: The State will not be checking for proof until the irrigation season goes full swing, April-May time frame." As far as having everyone one the board that is already in place. My question to him was "if I don't want to take the IA test, but take the test here by the state (I don't plan on moving out of state) when will that test be available?" His reply "I don't know, we are still trying to work out all the details :confused: the cost is going to be the same as taking it through the IA, so it is better to go ahead and sign up for it now through the IA."
Hope this helps

I could be wrong, and since you spoke to the pres of the CIA I shouldnt say anything, but I seriously doubt that it is going to be the CIC exam that they give. That exam has a 40% pass rate (not sure if that factors in the retakes, but if it does then that would make the 1st time pass rate really low).
I took the CIC exam a couple weeks ago, I think I did fine on it, but there is no way the avg. irrigator would pass in NC....I bet the pass rate would be 10% max.
On the other hand, I hope it is the CIC exam they give....I will have a lot less competition.
I imagine that the exam is going to be more along the lines of the Pesticide License Exam.
Also, you can get grandfathered in if you have been in business 10 years or more. Experience doesnt count...its # of yrs in business. Also if you are a Certified Landscape Contractor you can get grandfathered in.
There is alot of uncertainty and misinformation out there, I think they should make it go into effect Jan. 1 2010...they just arent ready yet.

bicmudpuppy
02-07-2009, 11:42 AM
I could be wrong, and since you spoke to the pres of the CIA I shouldnt say anything, but I seriously doubt that it is going to be the CIC exam that they give. That exam has a 40% pass rate (not sure if that factors in the retakes, but if it does then that would make the 1st time pass rate really low).
I took the CIC exam a couple weeks ago, I think I did fine on it, but there is no way the avg. irrigator would pass in NC....I bet the pass rate would be 10% max.
On the other hand, I hope it is the CIC exam they give....I will have a lot less competition.
I imagine that the exam is going to be more along the lines of the Pesticide License Exam.
Also, you can get grandfathered in if you have been in business 10 years or more. Experience doesnt count...its # of yrs in business. Also if you are a Certified Landscape Contractor you can get grandfathered in.
There is alot of uncertainty and misinformation out there, I think they should make it go into effect Jan. 1 2010...they just arent ready yet.

In 1996, when I took the TX LI exam, the failure rate w/ retakes was 60%........60%fail = 40% pass. Don't be surprised. BE surprised if the actually enforce ANYTHING they pass.

fire&rain
04-13-2009, 09:27 PM
Tony & Brandon,

There are several other threads that this info is available, I realize that this post is a couple of months late.

If you still have questions or concerns, please feel free to contact me.

I can assure you that 6/30/09, there will be enforcement of this law. I urge anyone who operates in NC to apply for the license and get licensed as soon as possible.

Good Luck,

AI Inc
04-14-2009, 06:21 AM

Myrtle beach SC has its own licensing and it is the cic test. Mass has been working on licensing for a few yrs , ( still not passed ) and it will be the cic test.

Tony Clifton
04-14-2009, 09:38 AM
Myrtle beach SC has its own licensing and it is the cic test. Mass has been working on licensing for a few yrs , ( still not passed ) and it will be the cic test.

Are you sure Myrtle Beach has it's own licensing?

AI Inc
04-14-2009, 05:18 PM
Read it in Irrigation and landscape rag about 2 yrs ago.

koster_irrigation
04-14-2009, 07:42 PM
http://www.nciclb.org/

I took the CIC test back last november. Failed by one point.

Plan on retaking it in raleigh in may just to have it behind me, and i plan to send in my forms for grandfathering in now.

BrandonV
04-14-2009, 08:54 PM
i too am attempting to grandfather, just as a backup and because I don't want to spend/ have the $$$ they won't for the class/test/license. for an economy that in the dumps like ours is here in NC this was probably not the best year to make all us pony up all the funds for this.