jhgilliland
02-04-2009, 12:18 AM
Here is something ive been working on since early fall in my spare time

Truck Specs
2001 International 4900
25995 GVW
Air Suspension / Air Brakes
70,000 Miles

Was a 24' Box Truck. I removed the box to use for fertilizer storage.
As you will see in the photos, Im setting up the Truck very similar to Jarod's trucks with a few slight variations.

I installed a rack over the cab that is capable of holding a skid steer buckets & attachments, Straw Bales, Wheelbarrows, Tools, Ect. I have since added a ladder at the driver side front corner to access the rack without going through the box.

The box behind the cab has storage spots for the tools that we use most often. The ladder inside the box provide access to the rack area. It also has a slide out ramp to facilitate getting in and out of the box on the curbside.

Ive ordered the 14' full hydraulic SNG system with a dump body and chip box. The truck is currently at my paint guy and will be there for a couple weeks. From there i just need to sandblast the truck frame, the box and rack, and bumper and paint everything black.

Ill be posting more pics as i make progress. Im hoping to have the truck on the road by mid -late march if we can get a few nice days to blast and paint.

jhgilliland
02-04-2009, 12:34 AM
Here are a few more pics of the rack installed. You'll notice i decided to install gas shocks to raise the lid (back section of overhead rack). I also installed a saftey latch incase the shocks would fail so that no one gets hurt.

Stainless fenders are in and ready to install. Ill wait till i blast the frame. I also go the Air Shift PTO put on and the 15 gal tank installed.

Birdjr
02-04-2009, 10:45 AM
Wow that looks great i wish i had skills to build that.How many hours do u have all together working on it?

KrayzKajun
02-04-2009, 10:48 AM
tht is awesome! great work!

oakhillslandscaping
02-04-2009, 12:00 PM
nice i have been contimplating that setup since seeing jarods for the first time, cant wait to see yours after paint

12Valve
02-04-2009, 12:37 PM
now thats a setup!

keep up the good work

jhgilliland
02-04-2009, 01:45 PM
Hours? Im not real sure. I didnt do most of the work. My father does steel erection and fabrication so i figured id rather pay him to do it that to pay some other fabricator. I did some of the minor welding and grinding when things slowed down but this is really his work of art.
The rack over the truck added substantially to the cost. The box only took a day or so to build. Setting up the rack and squaring it on the truck and leveling everything perfectly, that took a long time.

Its all back off the truck now and hopefully ill get the truck back from paint soon.

Gravel Rat
02-04-2009, 02:01 PM
There is alot of work put in there and lots of money in steel too :dizzy:

I weld and steel fab aswell and there is lots of finicky time consuming work building the toolbox etc. Even the end panels are creased so they don't oil can.

I do see one problem thou the gvw is going to be raised to 33,000lbs so the truck has some payload. By the time you add the hoist the truck is going to be pretty heavy.

jhgilliland
02-04-2009, 09:33 PM
Yeah the steel for the rack and box was around $3000 but that includes having a shop bend a lot of the sheets up to save us time.

We had the sheets front and back panels bent or creased corner to corner to add strength to the sheet (1/8). The issue is making this strong enough to not only support the weight applied directly downward, but also to battle the forces one could expirence in a situation where i had to lock the brakes @ 55 or 60 mph.

As far as weight, it certainly isnt light. Im going to run the truck through the scales directly after painting and then again after installing the box and rack back on the truck. Id bet its 1500 - 2000 lbs extra for everything.

allinearth
02-05-2009, 08:07 AM
That is going to be very handy. The weight was my first thought too. We got a 7500 thats under 26k. Very easy to run over weight.

Gravel Rat
02-05-2009, 02:18 PM
I would be also having all that sandblasted before you paint it so you have some bite for the paint to stick. It doesn't like sticking too well to millscale on the steel. Nothing worse than rust streaks down white paint if thats what color your painting it.

jhgilliland
02-05-2009, 08:05 PM
GravelRat - Yes im waiting to get the truck back from painting (My paint guy is painting the cab) and then i will be blasting the rack and box, bumper, and also the truck frame. I figure i might as well do it right the first time. Everything will be black Imron paint.

I still need underbody boxes (24 x 24 x 72) which are hard to find and darn expensive. My local lowes sells better built and has given me the best price. Ill probably end up getting them there.
I also need to track down a set of wheel simulators. Ive looked on ebay at HubKing's online store. Anyone else know of a good place to get 22.5" wheel sims? I want real stainless steel.

Gravel Rat
02-06-2009, 03:43 AM
You want Pacific Duallies wheel sims.

www.pacific-dualies.com/products-international/22.5x8.25.php

jhgilliland
02-06-2009, 08:53 AM
Thanks for the link. They look pretty nice.

02-06-2009, 10:24 AM
Looks nice! Just out of curiousity, what are the approx dimensions of the box? 4'X6'? 6' tall?

jhgilliland
02-06-2009, 12:57 PM
The box is 4' long (from the cab towards the rear axle), its 8' wide (width of truck) and the panels on the box are almost 56" high + the height of the 3"x5" angle gives you a total of 61". That is why i put the gas shocks on the lid so that anytime we pull up to the site the first thing we will do is lift the lid so we have headroom.

etwman
02-15-2009, 09:10 AM
James our 26k GVW truck (#3) scaled at 16,100 lbs with a mason body on it and the steel box between the bed and cab. That allows us for 5 ton of payload on that truck., decent by 33K is great with an 8 ton capacity. You probably added another 1500 lbs with that box which will drop your payload to around 4 ton. With that you are almost down to 550/650 load capacity. Not sure what's involved in upping the GVW. On a 33k gvw truck it has a double frame rail inside the whole lenght and larger brakes, both need to be there for strength for carrying larger capacities by law, and to avoid frame bending. Just my two cents.

Looks good though.

talus
02-15-2009, 11:17 AM
Nice work so far. I can't wait to see it finished. I love the cab style of those 4900's. I like the idea of that box behind the cab. That thing is huge. Are you going to keep the mesh style floor and roof?

Gravel Rat
02-15-2009, 03:31 PM
The truck probably is already rated for 33,000lbs but its been derated on paper so you guys in the USA can drive it.

If you look at the manufacturers sticker and the axle ratings if the axle ratings are 17,500 and 8000 then its a light duty truck if it has a 21,000 and 12,000lb its a 33,000lb gvw truck.

Lakewlc
02-15-2009, 08:35 PM
great work!

allinearth
02-16-2009, 08:26 AM
When do you think you'll finish? Can't wait to see it. Are you going with a new SNG?

jhgilliland
03-17-2009, 12:40 AM
Hey Everyone,

Just wanted to post up a quick update before i head for bed. Ill be blasting everything tommorow (box, and rack) and priming everything. I got the system on about a week ago. These things are very very easy to install. My fathers a fabricator and i didnt even ask him to help other than looking over my welds before i took it down the road. It took about 6 hours to set it on, weld and bolt the brackets, and wire up the in-cab controller. Then i hooked up the hoses to the pump and tank.

Everything works great. I didnt snap any pics of the truck with the dump body on it.

One thing i will say. Check out the pic of the way SNG loaded this thing on truck. The hoist system was acutally in the chip box which was setting on 2
"Horses" to support it. To make a long story short, SNG forgot to add gussetts to the 1 horse, and it was nearly collapsed when it got here. Id say another 50 miles of PA roads and the whole load would be lying along I-80.

Ill post some more pics when i get the box and rack on the truck. Everyone is telling me a month minimum to get graphics on the truck (paint needs time to cure)

jhgilliland
03-17-2009, 12:42 AM
Heres one more.

Gravel Rat
03-17-2009, 02:11 AM
Looks good so far. The load on the tractor trailer doesn't look safe I don't think I would have put that chip body on top of the dump body. Ohwell it made it and now its time to get the truck put together and making money :drinkup: