PDA

View Full Version : Price and feedback on 1999 Ford F450 with dump

letsplay
02-04-2009, 12:00 AM
I have found out about a 1999 Ford F450 crew cab with about an eight foot dump on the back with three foot metal sides that can be removed. The truck is a diesel (not sure what size engine or if there were options that year and if that year is a good model or not) Five speed, interior is good, and has about 129,000 miles. I don't think it is a 4x4 model. I don't know what the dump capacity is yet and what this truck can pull. I am just trying to get feedback, good, bad on this model vehicle. The asking price is around $8000.

Thanks for the feedback. :usflag:

12Valve
02-04-2009, 11:41 AM
a 99 will have a 7.3 powerstroke, they are very good motors.... never heard of a 5spd manual in those years, seen lots of ZF6 6speed manuals in those years. Id say if the truck is clean and not beat up that is a great deal. The truck will pull almost anything you will want to put behind it. I think the gvw is around 15k.

letsplay
02-04-2009, 11:55 AM
Thanks for the feedback on the truck. It is labeled a five spped on the add but makes me wonder if it is really a diesel. So the diesels had six speed manuals or four speed manuals?
How good are the transmissions on wear and tare?

Gravel Rat
02-04-2009, 03:33 PM
There was a 5spd option in the 99-2001 years but many people didn't choose it. The 6spd is a better transmission.

The 99 was the first year for the Superduty body and the first year for the F-450 to be built in that configuration. I don't think there was any real problems the only thing I know of is brake parts.

The rear axle I'am not sure if they still used the Dana 80 or the current S110 the S110 is a better axle less problems and bigger brakes.

The price isn't bad how many miles are on the truck and who owned it if its been a muni truck it might have been driven pretty hard. Usually muni trucks are spec'ed as a crewcab with a short 8 foot dump.

Lets put it this way with a 8 foot dump you couldn't get enough weight in the back to really overload the truck. The truck will tow your trailers but keep in mind you will need 40 acres to turn. A F-450 crewcab is a long truck and they don't turn sharp.

Somethings to look at is how are the tires if they are bald or near bald plan on spending minimum 250 dollars a tire or 2 grand for all 6. Have a mechanic look at the brakes if they need replacing plan on another 1000 dollars. You can't run the cheap brakes they need to be from Ford or Raybestos.

It all depends on what you want to do with the truck. If you have a heavy trailer to pull or want to carry 5-6000lbs of gravel then the F-450 will work for you. The positives out weigh the negatives its always better to have too much truck than not enough truck.

letsplay
02-04-2009, 04:00 PM
Thanks gravel rat! The truck has 130000 miles on it so it averages around 13000 a year. It has been run by a landscape company but I know the owner and they take good care of their vehicles. They are upgrading to ford capovers with better turn abilities and weight loads. They do highend residential and you are right the f450 are long trucks. I am just looking at all the deals out there right now and evaluating new set ups. We due a lot of different types of work from maintenance, install, to carpentry work. This truck could be good for pulling larger skidsteers to hauling off small debri piles we always have and have to use a dump trailer for. To even an idea of building an enclosed trailer type box that can be removed to place in the dump bed for our carpentry supplies and still pull our dingo or skidsteer. I have a good diesel mechanic that could look it over and we never skimp on brakes or safety. Thank you for your feedback.