PDA

View Full Version : Liquid Pre-Emergent using Permagreen?

centraltxturf
02-04-2009, 01:52 AM
I realize this question had to have been asked here before, but I just couldn't find any posts...

I'm in Central Texas. I don't want to apply fertilizer until March, but it's time to apply pre-emergents and post emergents in my Bermuda lawns this month. I have a permagreen that 'm just beginning to use this year for the first time. I would prefer to use liquid, but I know barricade and pendy is too thick for this low-volume application. I have heard from one person that dimension will work well at this low volume rate.

The second choice I guess is to use a granular product like 0-0-7, but I'm concerned about covering edges well.

My third choice is to scrap my PG for the first round and apply a tank mix application, which is fine, except it will be more of a pain to walk/spray my larger properties.

Any advice would be very much appreciated.

stressed
02-04-2009, 07:59 AM
i use my pg for the 1st round and do granular fert and crab.Around late feb early dec.Ill do my 2nd round mostly tank mixed and hand spray em.Ill do split apps of dimension on each app.I do the 2nd app by hand because im putting weed control in at that time for clover dandelions etc. and i feel safer in most my lawns doin it that way.Now if i have a bigger lawn ill do it both times with the pg and do 2 granular apps.Ive heard you can use dimension in the pg but ive never tried it.

pieperlc
02-04-2009, 08:19 AM
I don't think the PG has enough liquid output to get sufficient coverage of the chemical. Dimension will probably spray out of the machine (I've never tried), but you'll get less than acceptable results.

ted putnam
02-04-2009, 08:44 AM
I realize this question had to have been asked here before, but I just couldn't find any posts...

I'm in Central Texas. I don't want to apply fertilizer until March, but it's time to apply pre-emergents and post emergents in my Bermuda lawns this month. I have a permagreen that 'm just beginning to use this year for the first time. I would prefer to use liquid, but I know barricade and pendy is too thick for this low-volume application. I have heard from one person that dimension will work well at this low volume rate.

The second choice I guess is to use a granular product like 0-0-7, but I'm concerned about covering edges well.

My third choice is to scrap my PG for the first round and apply a tank mix application, which is fine, except it will be more of a pain to walk/spray my larger properties.

Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Your 3rd choice is exactly what I do. Yes it is a pain, but the PG has no agitation. That is my biggest concern with using it for pre-emerg rounds. Dimension WSP is ver fine and mixes in the tank well. If you mixed it in the skid tank, filled your PG and sprayed immediately you might still do all right but it would be a trial and error application. I've never tried it and don't know of anyone who has. My plan is to purchase a ride on that does have agitation and eventually use it to apply pre-emerg in the liquid form. Dry combo products are extremely expensive in this area so in most cases are not practical from a money standpoint. I have some large sports fields that I maintain and use dry pre-emerg products at this point because they are not quite as critical. Right nowI still use a tank/hose to spray my larger residentials. Hope this helps.

RAlmaroad
02-04-2009, 08:50 AM
Check out Gallery. I know nothing about these machines but a friend in Florida uses a Z-Spray and changes the tips to get more water which would require less chem. Gallery only requires .25oz./M. I use it in a skid at 2gal/M and then water it in directly after application. Gallery is the least root pruning pre-em and is well-tolerated by warm season grasses.

ted putnam
02-04-2009, 09:03 AM
Your 3rd choice is exactly what I do. Yes it is a pain, but the PG has no agitation. That is my biggest concern with using it for pre-emerg rounds. Dimension WSP is ver fine and mixes in the tank well. If you mixed it in the skid tank, filled your PG and sprayed immediately you might still do all right but it would be a trial and error application. I've never tried it and don't know of anyone who has. My plan is to purchase a ride on that does have agitation and eventually use it to apply pre-emerg in the liquid form. Dry combo products are extremely expensive in this area so in most cases are not practical from a money standpoint. I have some large sports fields that I maintain and use dry pre-emerg products at this point because they are not quite as critical. Right nowI still use a tank/hose to spray my larger residentials. Hope this helps.

I forgot to mention that I have used Pre-M 3.3 EC with excellent result. So it can and does work at low volume. Problem was using this product I made a huge mess of my machine...Not Good.

gregory
02-04-2009, 12:46 PM
on the z spray you can change the tips and put down 1gal per k at 5mph or drop it down to 2.5 and put out 2gal per k..and it has agitation.. haven't sprayed out pre-m with it but have sprayed out other wsp and didn't have a problem with it....

grassman177
02-04-2009, 08:39 PM
we have never had a problem with dry granualr pre emergents. you get good control especially if you blow off any excess fromthe drives ans walks to the edge. then you should have no problms.

centraltxturf
02-05-2009, 09:33 AM
Thanks for the advice. I'm really wanting to use the permagreen, but my problem is that it's too early for applying N, so i just want to put down pre-emergent. Maybe I can use the 0-0-7 granular and spray out atrazine or simazine for my weeds- All with the Permagreen?

ted putnam
02-05-2009, 09:41 AM
Thanks for the advice. I'm really wanting to use the permagreen, but my problem is that it's too early for applying N, so i just want to put down pre-emergent. Maybe I can use the 0-0-7 granular and spray out atrazine or simazine for my weeds- All with the Permagreen?

The atrazine/simazine will be thick coming out of the PG. However, it does work. Just make sure you pre-mix well and use immediately while in suspension. A better option for the spray is Trimec or 3-way(if compatible with turf variety). I would be very careful with the atrazine around dogwoods and azaleas. Good Luck