PDA

View Full Version : Bermuda Vs Fescue

DeOldOne
02-04-2009, 12:09 PM
We are making a New Remote Control Airfield for our Flying Club in the Charlotte NC area. I know Bermuda would be better than Fescue but anyone have any ideas on this. We are thinking of using Lesco Sunsport Bermuda. Any ideas would be helpful. I know with small wheels for some aircraft the bermuda would be lots better due to being able to cut closer than Fescue.

Post your thoughts.

Thanks
DeOldOne

Sweet Tater
02-04-2009, 12:37 PM
We are making a New Remote Control Airfield for our Flying Club in the Charlotte NC area. I know Bermuda would be better than Fescue but anyone have any ideas on this. We are thinking of using Lesco Sunsport Bermuda. Any ideas would be helpful. I know with small wheels for some aircraft the bermuda would be lots better due to being able to cut closer than Fescue.

Post your thoughts.

Thanks
DeOldOne

Dont forget, its pretty drought resistant and does well in the heat. I think it will make for a good grass for your purpose

LKNBigFish
02-13-2009, 08:39 PM
some of the st augustine varriations may be a good option. great when cut low, grows slower. spreads like bermuda,
it's a great grass in our area

tombo82685
02-24-2009, 08:38 PM
bermuda is probably the way to go. Fescue is a bunch type grass and heals slowly, do to its tillering grwoth. Bermuda is an agressive grass and heals quickly with its stolons and rhizomes, you can also sprig bermuda into other areas if you please. I would deffinetly go with bermuda for the wear/heat/drought tolerence. Warm season grasses are type 4 grasses which have a higher photosynthesis rate and deeper root system. Also i believe bermuda grass does not have that many diseases that can affect it like fescue. Fescue gets hammered by brown patch in the summer.

The Elements Group
02-24-2009, 09:55 PM
plan on having alot of shade (tree canopy) over your air strip? then use bermuda 419 drought tolerant and hearty

DeOldOne
03-05-2009, 11:36 PM
Thanks for all the Reply.. We are going with Sunsport by Lesco, JD... From Seed. Hope this will work. Should take a while to cover I guess ?

weasel
03-05-2009, 11:38 PM
bermuda is probably the way to go. Fescue is a bunch type grass and heals slowly, do to its tillering grwoth. Bermuda is an agressive grass and heals quickly with its stolons and rhizomes, you can also sprig bermuda into other areas if you please. I would deffinetly go with bermuda for the wear/heat/drought tolerence. Warm season grasses are type 4 grasses which have a higher photosynthesis rate and deeper root system. Also i believe bermuda grass does not have that many diseases that can affect it like fescue. Fescue gets hammered by brown patch in the summer.

Fescue (TLC) has rhizomes as well and its really pretty.

weasel
03-05-2009, 11:39 PM
What do you have to mow with. This could change everything.