PDA

View Full Version : FX Luminaire has been SOLD SOLD SOLD

JoeyD
02-04-2009, 01:29 PM
Hunter Industries has purchased FX Luminaire in case any of you lighting guys care? Interesting to see an irrigation manufacturer break into the ligthing arena!! Definitley brought on a big hitter!! We wish Hunter all the best! They have some really good people over there!!

Eden Lights
02-04-2009, 11:54 PM
How long ago? Build Quality has dropped in the last few months????

Eden Lights
02-04-2009, 11:58 PM
http://committoblue.com/blue-blog/2009/2/5/hunter-industries-announces-acquisition-of-fx-luminaire.html

Lite4
02-05-2009, 12:53 AM
Wow, When I was landscaping I was a die hard Hunter man. They have been kickin rainbird around the block for years. I have been to their factory in San Diego 3 times and I'll tell you what, they have some seriously talented and innovative people there as well as a very deep pockets to prototype and create some neat stuff. When they get settled in and going, I'll bet you will find they really step up their product line and the customer support will be on par with their irrigation service and support. Pretty smart move IMO.

The Lighting Geek
02-05-2009, 01:41 AM
This will be interesting to watch, Hunter is a good company.

JoeyD
02-05-2009, 12:16 PM
Hunter is a great company. But they have been struggling big time with this drop in the economy. Last year they laid off a tremendous ammount of employees. Something tells me this move is a strategic move to help protect their corporation. I don't think they wanted to HAVE to get into lighting but they NEEDED to get into to it to help subsidize a struggling irrigation market.

Good move nonetheless. They are a first class company and they just aquired a really good and respected product line in FX. We wish them all the luck!!!

irrig8r
02-05-2009, 01:19 PM
What's next? Is Rain Bird gonna buy Vista?

Rain Bird once had a line of forward-thinking, modular stainless steel fixtures, called Nightbird, which was available for maybe three or four years in the late 80's/ early 90's. It included an MR-16 pathlight. Basically, one fixture body, including a SS stake, with different add-ons that made it into a pathlight, an uplight or a downlight.

As is typical of Rain Bird, once a product is discontinued you never hear of it again.

JimLewis
03-03-2009, 01:37 PM
I don't know if I like this. I'm a Rain Bird guy. And I'm pretty tight with them. So the last thing I try to do is support the other guys. I have always liked FX Lum. I use them sometimes. Unique is our main brand but I always considered FX to be our second brand. Now I am not so sure I'll be buying as much. I am not a big Hunter fan. Just a personal choice.

I look at it this way, what if George Bush or Obama bought out CAST lighting. I may have liked CAST before, but now if I am a die-hard conservative, no way in hell I'm going to keep buying cast if Obama buys them out. And vice versa with Bush. A lot of liberals would never consider buying anything Bush owned.

Now I know that's a little drastic example. But you don't have to be in the irrigation forum for very long to realize that Rain Bird / Hunter are fairly polarizing companies. Guys either like one or the other. And if they like one, they tend not to want anything to do with the other. So I am not sure if Hunter buying FX makes more contractors want to use them, or less.

I know it's going to make me shy away from them.

JoeyD
03-03-2009, 02:10 PM
Interesting point that I have not yet heard........

LiteEmUp
03-03-2009, 03:06 PM
great analysis jim...although im not sure most guys will even make the correlation (i could be wrong of course). Guess it depends if FX will be branded as Hunter or not. Personally it wouldnt matter to me until we see what happens to the line. If im an FX guy im an FX guy despite how much i may not like Hunter as long as they are a respectable company which i believe them to be. I doubt they will isolate that many Rain Bird users, especially those that are loyal to FX and their distributor who carries both lines. Hunter might now be able to put FX in the hands of more contractors as before i believe they had an exclusive with one vendor (for the most part) which limited FX distribution to certain parts of the country. Maybe they will be more national now. I used them for years and they have been decent. Fortunately i have been indoctrinated by Unique as well. One Unique user to another...would you stop using Unique if Hunter had ownership in them? Cheers.

JoeyD
03-03-2009, 03:31 PM
oooohhhhh....now theres a good question..........

I dont see Hunter changing names of the company or doing to much to say "hey we own FX" except to their distributing partners to whom they want to bring the product line in. Most contractors will be introduced to FX as FX and not as FX owned by Hunter. In all I think this will become a good thing for FX as Hunter will get the product line into more areas of distribution. But I too wonder how the relationship will change, if at all with Ewing? Only time will tell.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
03-03-2009, 03:46 PM
Hasn't anyone ever told you guys that water and electricity don't mix?

:laugh::dancing::laugh:

(:clapping:Thank you, thank you very much... I will be here all week.:clapping:)

irrig8r
03-03-2009, 03:52 PM
I don't know if I like this. I'm a Rain Bird guy. And I'm pretty tight with them. So the last thing I try to do is support the other guys. I have always liked FX Lum. I use them sometimes. Unique is our main brand but I always considered FX to be our second brand. Now I am not so sure I'll be buying as much. I am not a big Hunter fan. Just a personal choice.

I look at it this way, what if George Bush or Obama bought out CAST lighting. I may have liked CAST before, but now if I am a die-hard conservative, no way in hell I'm going to keep buying cast if Obama buys them out. And vice versa with Bush. A lot of liberals would never consider buying anything Bush owned.

Now I know that's a little drastic example. But you don't have to be in the irrigation forum for very long to realize that Rain Bird / Hunter are fairly polarizing companies. Guys either like one or the other. And if they like one, they tend not to want anything to do with the other. So I am not sure if Hunter buying FX makes more contractors want to use them, or less.

I know it's going to make me shy away from them.

I think that kind of brand loyalty is a little misplaced sometimes.

Just like I've never understood people identifying themswelves as either Ford or Chevy fanatics either... (never mind the Mopar nuts :rolleyes: .)

I've owned different brands of vehicles (and maint. equipment back when I did that), and they all have their strengths and weaknesses...

I'm loyal to good products and good service, and sometimes the particular product to meet a specific need, whichever brand I choose.

I want a distributor and manufacturer who listen to me now and then and act quickly on warranty issues.

I won't put all my eggs in one basket. I've learned better.

JoeyD
03-03-2009, 04:49 PM
Gregg...CHEVY SUCKS!!!

LOL

LiteEmUp
03-03-2009, 05:09 PM
FORD swallows.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
03-03-2009, 06:13 PM
and Dodge Blows...

HA!

(Looks like I will be in a 2009 Toyota as of April... unless GM decides to play nice.)

JoeyD
03-03-2009, 06:24 PM
LMAO.....this thread made a turn for the better!! LOL

Eden Lights
03-04-2009, 12:28 AM
Deleted Deleted

David Gretzmier
03-04-2009, 11:30 AM
I've been doing irrigation repair and install for over 20 years, and I have to admit, I have seen the polarized installers, rainbird/hunter, and toro way back when, and never really understood it. I always tended to gravitate toward products that worked and performed the best, and were easy to install and maintain. That means for me hunter rotors and rainbird controllers, but I have installed many variations of each, and toro multi stream rotors in the past.

I personally like when competitors are married to a brand, as it opens the door for me to install a better performing product. I may like FX's trans, and some of thier fixtures, but many of thier fixtures are not the best for the application, or the best price. I actually hate thier habit of using italian names, as it is nealy impossible for me to remember the name of the mini-wall washer I installed 3 years back, or whatever. I have to look back at the catalog.

it is my hope that FX and hunter continue building what they build well.

irrig8r
03-04-2009, 03:35 PM
I actually hate thier habit of using italian names, as it is nealy impossible for me to remember the name of the mini-wall washer I installed 3 years back, or whatever. I have to look back at the catalog.

It was always my theory that the Italian names came from some misguided attempt to differentiate themselves in the marketplace... maybe after a dinner at a restaurant that involved too many bottles of Chianti :-)

I just go with the letter-number combo. For instance, FaroGiardino becomes FG12... RotundaLuna becomes RL20... much simpler that way.

FX produces the only aluminum alloy fixtures I will install near the ground anymore. My experience has shown them to be far superior to Vista, Nightscaping or Hadco in terms of finish integrity and corrosion resistance...

JimLewis
03-04-2009, 04:21 PM
I just go with the letter-number combo. For instance, FaroGiardino becomes FG12... RotundaLuna becomes RL20... much simpler that way.

Yah, I don't like the italian names either. But we do it the same way. MP20, MU35, whatever. That's the only name me or my guys even know these lights by.

JoeyD
03-04-2009, 06:19 PM
Geez, all this anymosity towards Italian Names....I guess me and Gambino need to find another forum to play in!!! LOL

irrig8r
03-04-2009, 06:50 PM
Geez, all this anymosity towards Italian Names....I guess me and Gambino need to find another forum to play in!!! LOL

Hey.. what am I, chopped liver?

I bet you didn't know my given first name should have been Alfonso after my paternal grandfather... :)

His people were from Grotte (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grotte_(AG)) on the coast of western Sicily.

klkanders
03-04-2009, 07:02 PM
Can we call ya Al?
I love Italian food! Who's cooking? Mike, Joey, Gregg? :)

MAGLIGHTING
03-04-2009, 07:03 PM

That's funny Joey, I was thinking the same thing.
Why don't they have the Italian flag on here too :usflag:

irrig8r
03-04-2009, 07:14 PM
http://3dflags.com/art/comps/ita0001/3dflags_ita0001-0003a.gif

Italian flag

http://www.multimediapalace.com/fl/eu-flags-02/it-flags/it-sicily-flag.gif

Sicilian flag

http://www.multimediapalace.com/fl/flags-it/it.htm

JoeyD
03-04-2009, 07:15 PM
There we go......sorry Alfonso, I didnt mean to leave you out...i thought you were Chinese!! LOL But its Catanese not Cantanese!! LOL

Keith, my Italian cooking stops at toasted rolls and butter!! LOL Good thing I sent my wife to Grandma's schol of cooking so my wife can whip up all the family recipes!! That was the best thing she ever did for me was learn how to cook great grandma Lena's Maccaroni and Gravy...yeah its called Maccaroni and Gravy, not spaghetti and sauce!! LOL

irrig8r
03-04-2009, 08:24 PM
Calling it gravy comes the the northeastern US... my nonna called it sugo... and nobody will ever make meatballs as good as hers... or salciccia as good as uncle Jack's...

David Gretzmier
03-04-2009, 10:30 PM
great idea on letter number on FX stuff. I will use that. no intended slight against italians, just the names FX uses.

After reading football for pizza by John Grishom, I plan to make a trip to Italy and eat, sightsee, and eat some more.