PDA

View Full Version : My re-done VERY simple website

Classified
02-04-2009, 03:47 PM
While having a $10,000 site is really nice and to have all the pages and such is cool, I have reviewed a handful of sites of some pretty large companies in the LCO world and they dont have very complex sites.

Now, that may sound like a jealous comment which is partially true but for the most part, all you need is something simple and basic IMO for our industry. Granted, mine is pretty basic but its what I can do with my limited time and knowledge. I created this "page" using microsoft publisher, lol so there is only so much I can do.

Well anyway, I like it, K.I.S.S.

What do you think? www.classygrasslawncare.com

Classified
02-04-2009, 04:12 PM
Also, I want to add that I really want my site to be centered in the screen but have no clue how to do that. I used Microsoft Publisher to make the site and I couldnt find any way to center in the viewing window

Danscapes
02-04-2009, 04:32 PM
use godaddy, I did and I built my own site (which I think is cool). Check it out in my sig.

Classified
02-04-2009, 04:40 PM
Thanks but I like the look of mine despite it being so simple.

Eventually, Id like to buy a real nice template and go from there but not yet.

Thanks

kutnkru
02-04-2009, 05:02 PM
Doug

Although yours does not flow easily to read I do like the simplicity of it. I would suggest at least adding an e-mail link or make a small contact box so potential client's can contact you other than by phone.

JDUtah
02-04-2009, 05:02 PM
The 'meat' is not text but pictures. I hope you are not relying on search engines to generate traffic to your site? I like the look but since it is all graphical you MUST send people to your site for it to be of any value... get your URL in front of peoples noses!

Pix for text also adds to download time.

I do like the look though... didn't read the text.

Classified
02-04-2009, 05:07 PM
Doug

Although yours does not flow easily to read I do like the simplicity of it. I would suggest at least adding an e-mail link or make a small contact box so potential client's can contact you other than by phone.

Thanks. The contact info is on the left towards the bottom

The 'meat' is not text but pictures. I hope you are not relying on search engines to generate traffic to your site? I like the look but since it is all graphical you MUST send people to your site for it to be of any value... get your URL in front of peoples noses!

Pix for text also adds to download time.

I do like the look though... didn't read the text.

Well, im not really trying to generate traffic on the site or should I say try to get customers that found my site. Im not offering my services to residential customers anymore and most commercial property managers dont have to look for someone to maintain thier property, they normally have a list of contractors ready to take on thier property.

I appreciate the comments.

ritchiem
02-04-2009, 05:20 PM
You have some crazy code there...and full of errors

http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.classygrasslawncare.com%2F&charset=(detect+automatically)&doctype=Inline&ss=1&group=0&user-agent=W3C_Validator%2F1.606

Have a look and see if you can fix some of them.

and follow the link for some great info on centering your website.

http://davidwalsh.name/horizontally-center-website-structure-css

Classified
02-04-2009, 05:24 PM
Thanks, Its microsoft, im sure there are lots of errors! Its looks good to me though, I dont get the whole dirty code and error thing.

Ill check out that site

ritchiem
02-04-2009, 05:45 PM
I just noticed that only your last 'block' is text...the other two are images. That won't help your PR or indexing for the search engines. Make sure that the bulk of your content is text that spiders can read.

Also, do some research on meta tags for your SEO (search engine optimization)

Turfdoctor1
02-04-2009, 05:59 PM
While having a $10,000 site is really nice and to have all the pages and such is cool, I have reviewed a handful of sites of some pretty large companies in the LCO world and they dont have very complex sites.

Now, that may sound like a jealous comment which is partially true but for the most part, all you need is something simple and basic IMO for our industry. Granted, mine is pretty basic but its what I can do with my limited time and knowledge. I created this "page" using microsoft publisher, lol so there is only so much I can do.

Well anyway, I like it, K.I.S.S.

What do you think? www.classygrasslawncare.com

testimonials all from women, nice. getter done, doug. haha.

just kidding. i personally like the color scheme and overall look of your website.

Classified
02-04-2009, 06:04 PM
Here is what I think is wrong. I looked at that site and it makes sense but im not sure if this is what I edit and how it should look. any thoughts?

<body link="#663300" vlink="#666633" bgcolor=black style='margin:0'>

<div style='position:absolute;width:7.-71in;height:11.1345in'>

Classified
02-04-2009, 06:05 PM

just kidding. i personally like the color scheme and overall look of your website.

Haha, i didnt realize that actually. I have a few more that I didnt put in because they were pretty long, also both from women, ha!

PSTsmallengines
02-06-2009, 07:48 AM
I pretty much can say you did a great job on this website, and not many people or professionals will say that mainly because they think they build 1 to 5 websites and think they are a pro. To me I like your colors and think everything looks file.

As for centering, if you need help, you might want to ask for it. Very simple fix, but hard to explain, but let me see what I can do for you on this end, and send you the right way.

Classified
02-06-2009, 11:13 AM
Thanks PST, Can you help me?

I almost dropped a bunch of money on a flash template but realized I dont have the know how to modify/customize it to my needs and logo.

So im going to stick with what I have for now.

Any help to centering it would be greatly appreciated!

PSTsmallengines
02-06-2009, 11:45 AM
Thanks PST, Can you help me?

I almost dropped a bunch of money on a flash template but realized I dont have the know how to modify/customize it to my needs and logo.

So im going to stick with what I have for now.

Any help to centering it would be greatly appreciated!

I would be more then willing to help you out, but I don't know how to get hold of you through here. We are not allowed to discuss our emails or phone number or give any type of help through here, but if you need you can pm me, if that wouldn't cause any problems but don't do it if I am going to get in trouble, I like this site.

PSTsmallengines
02-06-2009, 12:00 PM
In any business having a website is just as important as having your name in the yellow pages, but day after day more and more people are turning to computers for information rather then picking up that yellow book and trying to find the service your looking for.

There a literally thousands upon thousands of developers out there looking for people like you, and will just about talk about anything to get you to buy into their service. I have been around this type of world when it all began, and I am telling you, right here and now, any one can build a great website, it is easy and takes a little time. And I will bet with you right here and now, that anyone that comes in here and starts telling you how bad your website is, is only a person trolling for work. Which you may ask, (Why are you here) it is because I run a small engine repair company, and a development company, and own and operate my servers. My job is fixing peoples mowers and taking are of my commercial mowers.

Don't buy into crap man, and don't waste your money on people who always claim they are the best, you can get a website built for a very cheap price, and yes you can even create it yourself, as long as you make it easy to navigate, easy to read and follow you are all set, who cares if something is out of place.

You can always find errors on a lot of websites, even done by the pros, just keep this in mind.

Frue
02-06-2009, 03:52 PM
Also, I want to add that I really want my site to be centered in the screen but have no clue how to do that. I used Microsoft Publisher to make the site and I couldnt find any way to center in the viewing window

You have 215 code errors in your site this basically means its a mess. using these types of sites are horrible like go daddy and others like it. I understand your point on being simple i agree with you simple is better but code must be done right so all can view w/out problems.

Frue
02-06-2009, 03:55 PM

your site has 5 errors but in my own opinion it is excellent.

JDUtah
02-06-2009, 05:50 PM
And I will bet with you right here and now, that anyone that comes in here and starts telling you how bad your website is, is only a person trolling for work.

How much are you willing to put on those words? I need a quick 5 grand...

Frue
02-06-2009, 06:14 PM
In any business having a website is just as important as having your name in the yellow pages, but day after day more and more people are turning to computers for information rather then picking up that yellow book and trying to find the service your looking for.

There a literally thousands upon thousands of developers out there looking for people like you, and will just about talk about anything to get you to buy into their service. I have been around this type of world when it all began, and I am telling you, right here and now, any one can build a great website, it is easy and takes a little time. And I will bet with you right here and now, that anyone that comes in here and starts telling you how bad your website is, is only a person trolling for work. Which you may ask, (Why are you here) it is because I run a small engine repair company, and a development company, and own and operate my servers. My job is fixing peoples mowers and taking are of my commercial mowers.

Don't buy into crap man, and don't waste your money on people who always claim they are the best, you can get a website built for a very cheap price, and yes you can even create it yourself, as long as you make it easy to navigate, easy to read and follow you are all set, who cares if something is out of place.

You can always find errors on a lot of websites, even done by the pros, just keep this in mind.

I agree with you about some errors but 215 come on. I am not trolling at all. i have never put one together but coding is very important.

Kiril
02-10-2009, 09:51 AM

Don't kid yourself PST .... pros write valid code ... and those that don't .....

If people want to use site builders as a place to start that is fine, but they need to follow up by cleaning the code.
$soft is notorious for generating invalid code, as are most "site builders".

FYS777
02-10-2009, 12:59 PM
Thanks Guys for sharing this things about web sites I have learned a lot, and still learning,:):)

PSTsmallengines
02-10-2009, 02:54 PM
Don't kid yourself PST .... pros write valid code ... and those that don't ... OK, I understand that and I also know that Kiril-baby, but lets take a moment to clear out the air here.

I understand all about code and how it works, and I also understand that in some cases people look at that very closely, and if you are asking for your website to be criticised, then I guess people like you are going to look for flaws, but out here is the real web world, 98% of these guys customers are not going to care one way or the other if their websites have coding errors, only IF, they are totally visible ones.

Valid code is good, and I never said it wasn't good, I guess what I am trying to get at here, is this. If there are errors on the pages, and lets say not really visible errors, those customers are going to careless about it, they are going to see the website, find the phone number, and then make that call, or send an email for those services. I encourage anyone who does this to make sure you get your code right, but at the same time I am not going to tell a person that their website sucks because there are invisible errors that is not going to affect the customers decision to hire this company.

Kiril
02-10-2009, 06:40 PM
I understand all about code and how it works

Do you now? Review my following post ... if you need more I can provide it.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showpost.php?p=2759325&postcount=4

I guess what I am trying to get at here, is this. If there are errors on the pages, and lets say not really visible errors, those customers are going to careless about it, they are going to see the website, find the phone number, and then make that call, or send an email for those services.

Personally, I take alot of pride in my work. I don't have the "good enough for government work" attitude, although some people are OK with that.

If your beef is with hard critiques then I suggest you get over it. No one is going to learn their mistakes if they never get pointed out.

PSTsmallengines
02-10-2009, 06:48 PM
Do you now? Review my following post ... if you need more I can provide it.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showpost.php?p=2759325&postcount=4

Personally, I take alot of pride in my work. I don't have the "good enough for government work" attitude, although some people are OK with that.

If your beef is with hard critiques then I suggest you get over it. No one is going to learn their mistakes if they never get pointed out.(Laughs) oh another governmental web designer:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: enough said!!!!! lol, oh my god! If you are that good then what you doing in a lawn site? lol, Get over what man???? your the one making this the bigger deal then what it is. :laugh::laugh::laugh: you go right ahead and do your government websites. lol (winks) yahoooooweee I was part of a covert mission for the CIA, lol

By the way Master Web Developer alot????? you mean a lot??? by the looks of it, if you do a lot of Government sites, you might want to brush up on our spelling & Grammer as well. lol

You are a good guy after all. Not the bag of chips you might think you are, but your a good guy.

JDUtah
02-10-2009, 07:43 PM
(Laughs) oh another governmental web designer:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: enough said!!!!! lol, oh my god! If you are that good then what you doing in a lawn site? lol, Get over what man???? your the one making this the bigger deal then what it is. :laugh::laugh::laugh: you go right ahead and do your government websites. lol (winks) yahoooooweee I was part of a covert mission for the CIA, lol

By the way Master Web Developer alot????? you mean a lot??? by the looks of it, if you do a lot of Government sites, you might want to brush up on our spelling & Grammer as well. lol

You are a good guy after all. Not the bag of chips you might think you are, but your a good guy.

ummmm.... did you read his post correctly? My senses are telling me no. Maybe I do not appreciate your style of sarcasm?

Kiril
02-11-2009, 12:24 AM
ummmm.... did you read his post correctly? My senses are telling me no. Maybe I do not appreciate your style of sarcasm?

No, he read it correctly, he just takes offense to doing it right because he doesn't, but still calls himself a web designer.

@PST

Do you not care about people with hearing impairments, seeing impairments, etc..? Beyond that, making your website accessible also goes a long way towards helping your SEO efforts. The other stuff ... well that is just intelligent web development, or in your case "design".

Laugh all you want dude, but your attitude just goes to show that you are not a professional and I am starting to wonder how long you really have been doing this.

BTW PST, I actually work in the green industry ... how about you? The only reason I post in this particular forum is because I happen to have alot of experience in web development and figure I can help some people. What are you doing here ..... oh right ..... trolling for work.

PSTsmallengines
02-11-2009, 08:57 AM
No, he read it correctly, he just takes offense to doing it right because he doesn't, but still calls himself a web designer.

@PST

Do you not care about people with hearing impairments, seeing impairments, etc..? Beyond that, making your website accessible also goes a long way towards helping your SEO efforts. The other stuff ... well that is just intelligent web development, or in your case "design".

Laugh all you want dude, but your attitude just goes to show that you are not a professional and I am starting to wonder how long you really have been doing this.

BTW PST, I actually work in the green industry ... how about you? The only reason I post in this particular forum is because I happen to have alot of experience in web development and figure I can help some people. What are you doing here ..... oh right ..... trolling for work. thank you man! your a good sport too.