PDA

View Full Version : getting customers in a flooded area

blake1012
02-04-2009, 08:56 PM
Hello all.

I have been doing lawn care a couple years part time, just a handful of clients.

I really want to expand this year, and have moved recently to a new town.

I live about 15-20 min north of atlanta, ga . A **** ton of people and sub divisions around here. and alot of wealthy people.

My question is this----- How do you compete when there are such a high number of lawn care companies out there???????

I have ordered some postcards, and more to come. But what is the key in gaining accounts?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

MowHouston
02-04-2009, 09:06 PM
My question is this----- How do you compete when there are such a high number of lawn care companies out there???????

There is never enough lawn companies to take care of everyone's needs. This is especially true in larger metropolitan areas.

I have ordered some postcards, and more to come. But what is the key in gaining accounts?

If you are presenting yourself to customers via postcards, the key is to give them a professional appearance. First impressions have always been said to be important. Keep your post cards short and sweet. You dont need to list everything you do in detail. Your company name, bullet point list of services, contact information, a call-to-action ("Call today!"), maybe a "motto", and possibly a coupon to give incentive to give you a call.

You should do well if you are servicing a metropolitan area. Business comes quick.

Definitely look into getting a website and advertising online. Works pretty well in larger cities.

Ryan

blake1012
02-04-2009, 09:18 PM
^^^ Thanks alot. I am in the process of setting up a website right now.

DLAWNS
02-04-2009, 10:40 PM
I think the key is customer retention. Obviously I understand that you need to get customers first. But once you get them do anything to set yourself apart from the competition. Than once they see that you keep them happy, they will refer you to their friends, family, and neighbors. I also live in a very flooded market and think that this is the best advice that I can give.

P.Services
02-04-2009, 10:41 PM
just low ball them like i do.

blake1012
02-04-2009, 10:47 PM
just low ball them like i do.

lol....whatever works, huh?

as long as its still profitable to one's own company, is it considered low balling?????

P.Services
02-04-2009, 10:49 PM
if your price is less then mine your a lowballer.

Exact Rototilling
02-04-2009, 11:00 PM
*trucewhiteflag*just low ball them like i do.
I have really been thinking about this approach in an odd sort of way. Every spring I see tons of ads in our Nickel paper. Lowest prices in town,...hard working starving college kids who work for cheap. I'm a kid with a wagon and mower help me pay for college and space camp...etc.

.....then you show up and bid normal prices. People think they're getting a bargain and sign up. :laugh:

bohiaa
02-04-2009, 11:03 PM
WELL DUHHHHH!!!!!!

when I read your post I thought it was about a flodded area as in water.

I read the replys and it still didn't make sense to me, so I was going to post

what does that have to do with a floded area..............

Ok the jokes on me............

I had a hard day to day guys.......

DLAWNS
02-04-2009, 11:20 PM
if your price is less then mine your a lowballer.

I think that is slightly misleading.

MowHouston
02-04-2009, 11:49 PM
Ignore Picasso. Sounds like he just had a bad day on the forums and isn't really contributing anything useful to your thread.

Retention is a good thread, but that is kind of obvious. You already know that you need to do well to keep your customers. Just do the job right the first time and you shouldn't have too many problems.

If I were you, I wouldnt worry about telling anyone any prices on your advertising material. Give them a price when you estimate it.

bohiaa
02-05-2009, 12:11 PM
Ignore Picasso. Sounds like he just had a bad day on the forums and isn't really contributing anything useful to your thread.

Retention is a good thread, but that is kind of obvious. You already know that you need to do well to keep your customers. Just do the job right the first time and you shouldn't have too many problems.

If I were you, I wouldnt worry about telling anyone any prices on your advertising material. Give them a price when you estimate it.

I was always amazed at how doing a GREAT job and a few extras Goes a long way, the word of mouth starts spreading like wildfire.

Also in a floded area, I have found its easy, because people want change. LCO's sometimes have contracts for years and the customer just puts up with it, then a new guy comes along and everyone jumps on the band wagon.
" We took over in a town where this happened"

Best of luck

blake1012
02-05-2009, 12:32 PM
I was always amazed at how doing a GREAT job and a few extras Goes a long way, the word of mouth starts spreading like wildfire.

Also in a floded area, I have found its easy, because people want change. LCO's sometimes have contracts for years and the customer just puts up with it, then a new guy comes along and everyone jumps on the band wagon.
" We took over in a town where this happened"

Best of luck

Thanks. That is my real concern. It seems as though everyone has a company, and may have been using them for years. So, i said to myself....why would they want to change?

but ya never know......i'll try my best and go from there!

MowHouston
02-05-2009, 12:57 PM
There's a lot of reasons why someone would want to change.

- The previous person just stopped coming around.
- They were doing something wrong and didn't correct it.
- The customer may have been doing their lawn before, but now, want someone else to do it.
- The customer may have just moved into the home and need someone to do the lawn.

If you look at it this way, there's a good chance that you will get customers. :)

jeepwrite
02-05-2009, 01:41 PM
WELL DUHHHHH!!!!!!

when I read your post I thought it was about a flodded area as in water.

I read the replys and it still didn't make sense to me, so I was going to post

what does that have to do with a floded area..............

Ok the jokes on me............

I had a hard day to day guys.......

flooded, as in lots of LCOs in one area!