PDA

View Full Version : Hypro D403 Oil reservoir

sciturfman
02-04-2009, 09:21 PM
We had the oil disappear in the reservoir yesterday even though we never lost pressure. Is this a bad diaphragm(s) or is it bigger trouble? The bowl is dry of oil, not milky like when a diaphragm goes bad. Anybody have this happen before on a Lesco Spacesaver? Thanks.

treegal1
02-04-2009, 09:39 PM
yep its the rubber gone bad! look in the tank for oil!!!

some one from here save my second set of knuckles and told me to take 3 of the 4 motor bolts out and swing the motor away from the reel, thanks again you know who:waving:

rittenhouse has them real cheap. and can get them to you fast!!!

http://www.rittenhouse.ca/

RigglePLC
02-05-2009, 10:10 AM
Thanks, Treegal. You are so right. However, there is a chance you will get lucky, Sciturf.
Often there will be an air bubble in the oil reservoir, especially after the oil is first changed. When the air gradually finds its way out--the oil level goes down. Try adding more oil. Run the pump. Repeat as needed. It may take several times until all the air is out. If the oil does not turn milky due to water in the oil--you are OK. I am sure you installed new oil and diaphragms during the winter layover in Zone 9 right? LOL!

treegal1
02-05-2009, 10:26 AM
take a flex soda straw and poke it into the reservoir and add the oil slowly and the air will come out of the straw!!! also heat the oil up some. like 100 deg. and it will go faster.....

Ric
02-05-2009, 10:34 AM
yo

I never had a model D 403 Hypro but I have had the oil seal between the gear reducer and the pump go bad on a D 30 causing the same problem. However topping off the oil can only hide the problem of gear oil and 30 weight mixing. I find it is not the cost of the parts but the PITA of tearing the pump down completely to replace that seal. In my case it was storing the D 30 pump for 5 years and then putting it back in service.

grassman177
02-05-2009, 05:39 PM
sounds like the seal/diapphram to me. had this happen before . we replace them every spring as habbit and usually dont have problems other than that.

sciturfman
02-06-2009, 10:22 AM
Well, it wasn't the diaphragms! The connecting rod on the piston was broken! I never thought about " slingin a rod " in a Lesco sprayer!! Oh well, just another day in the life of a spray dude.

treegal1
02-06-2009, 10:31 AM
OMG, THAT SUCKS!!!!!! my most sincere condolences. another day right..............

whoopassonthebluegrass
02-06-2009, 10:41 AM
I've had it happen multiple times. ALWAYS been a bad diaphragm for me.

The D403 is a total piece of $hit. Possibly my most lamentable equipment purchase...

Ric
02-06-2009, 11:18 AM
Years ago I had to replace connecting rods on a D 19 Hypro and it is still running today. I forget why they went bad, but the D 19 was suppose to be a bad model any way. I have two D 19 skid sprayers and the newer one puts out big time while the older one I replaced rods on has never been all that great. I am not sure I have one great one and one normal one, or one normal and one lousy one. Given the age and wear I think I might have a very tired one.

LawnTamer
02-06-2009, 11:28 AM
My 403 went to pieces, luckily it was still under warranty. Lesco had all the parts machined, replaced the parts that broke and rebuilt it, they had it for 6 weeks, but it was during the winter, so I did not care.

treegal1
02-06-2009, 12:03 PM
wow this turned into the hypro horror show.........

Ric
02-06-2009, 12:27 PM
wow this turned into the hypro horror show.........

Treegal

Yes maybe it is a Hypro horror show. But when you compare spraying to other green industry equipment, it is but a minor problem.

LawnTamer
02-06-2009, 12:35 PM
Treegal

Yes maybe it is a Hypro horror show. But when you compare spraying to other green industry equipment, it is but a minor problem.

That's true. I spray and mow. I gross about 2x on spraying what I do on maintenance. I spend a ton more on maintenance equipment than spraying equipment....of course maintenance equipment prices are not nearly so volatile as fert prices:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Last year I went WAY over budget on N and K. :cry:

treegal1
02-06-2009, 12:52 PM
Treegal

you don't have to tell me about that, I go 3 spent feed rollers on a T1300 tub grinder.......about 15K to fix it.

I guess I am just down on the hypro now, maybe a cat pump next time............

sciturfman
02-06-2009, 01:32 PM
I called rittenhouse and ordered a new D403 pump for about $490 today! JDL wanted $800 for the same pump!! WTH is that all about? I know they are always higher but that is crazy. Wish me luck getting my rig back together! Have any of ya'll ever taken the gearbox and pump apart on the D403GRI setup? I hope this is fairly simple to do.

Ric
02-06-2009, 02:56 PM
you don't have to tell me about that, I go 3 spent feed rollers on a T1300 tub grinder.......about 15K to fix it.

Treegal

My main pumps on my cab over are Warner Hydra Cel 25 run off the PTO. Interesting enough they haven't been touched in about 5 years. One is now leaking a little oil which means a total tear down to replace that oil seal and a total rebuild since it is to be torn down that far. Parts should run around $ 700.00 but that is after 5 years of not doing anything. Those pumps put out 25 GPM and have plenty of agitation to keep anything mixed.

Don't over look BEAM pumps. While they are old school piston pumps they run forever. I never had a Beam pump but know a guy who has sprayed for 40 years with the same Beam pump. Being single stage piston pumps they require a large surge protector. The surge protector can be a large up right capped pipe full of air that is compressed by the liquid spray material.

treegal1
02-06-2009, 03:28 PM
Ric, I cant use the piston type with my stuff, but am looking at a centrifugal pump for future use.

Ric
02-07-2009, 10:06 AM
Ric, I cant use the piston type with my stuff, but am looking at a centrifugal pump for future use.

Sorry Treegal

I forgot you were out of the box and pump all kinds of unconventional crap.

greendoctor
02-07-2009, 03:45 PM

Cat pumps are heavy duty, high pressure piston pumps as well. I have a Cat 1010 mothballed for now. 13 GPM at 700 PSI.

treegal1
02-07-2009, 03:57 PM
so I went to the local pump merchant today and got a Comet APS41 Diaphragm w/ Honda for almost a song, we will see...............