PDA

View Full Version : 12 volt sprayer

ArTurf
02-04-2009, 09:18 PM
I will be getting my license and spraying this year for the first time. I plan on using a 12 volt/25 gallon sprayer that mounts to an ATV, except I will use a golf cart. This is what the grounds keeper at the local golf course uses. Not wanting to spend too much until I see where this goes. The specs on the sprayer are 3.8 gpm pump with adj pressure with a boom. I plan on using products such as Barricade, Dimension, Atrazine, Manor & etc. Does anyone see any problems with this setup.

Ric
02-05-2009, 08:26 AM
Artutf

Only problem I can foresee is with the ground speed of the golf cart. In order to keep proper calibration, you must have a constant ground speed. An ATV would have the same problem if not more so.

ted putnam
02-05-2009, 09:03 AM
Artutf

Only problem I can foresee is with the ground speed of the golf cart. In order to keep proper calibration, you must have a constant ground speed. An ATV would have the same problem if not more so.

Ric is right. In my opinion, a setup using a lawnmower of some type would be a better option if you're mind is made up on using the tank and boom approach. JMO

RigglePLC
02-05-2009, 09:54 AM
Don't want to discourage you--However--I am skeptical. One-third hp pumps are advertised at 3.8 gallons per minute--sometimes it is an exaggeration. That is probably under ideal conditions with new pump, 5 psi pressure, no back pressure--no restirictions--no nozzles, and 13 volts on a brand new battery. Be sure to experiment and calibrate with water many times so you are sure of the performance under actual spraying conditions.

One gallon per thousand SQ FT or less is probably close to what you can expect depending on the actual speed of the rig. Also Barricade may not do well in low volume as you may need a lot of agitation to keep it in suspension. Likewise other products if you must use heavy concentrations.

ArTurf
02-05-2009, 11:10 AM
Thanks for the input.

Ric
02-05-2009, 11:45 AM
Don't want to discourage you--However--I am skeptical. One-third hp pumps are advertised at 3.8 gallons per minute--sometimes it is an exaggeration. That is probably under ideal conditions with new pump, 5 psi pressure, no back pressure--no restirictions--no nozzles, and 13 volts on a brand new battery. Be sure to experiment and calibrate with water many times so you are sure of the performance under actual spraying conditions.

One gallon per thousand SQ FT or less is probably close to what you can expect depending on the actual speed of the rig. Also Barricade may not do well in low volume as you may need a lot of agitation to keep it in suspension. Likewise other products if you must use heavy concentrations.

Riggle

From my personal experience I have found those pumps to do OK. They put out very close to what they say they will. If anything they don't last a great deal of time, but for under a $ 100.00 replacement cost what can you expect? BTW Tractor supply and Northern both offer a free replacement for bad pumps for a year.

ArTurf
02-05-2009, 12:37 PM
I was leaning toward Fimco. What do you think?

greendoctor
02-05-2009, 12:45 PM
Agitation, or the lack thereof. Is there any reason why a Hypro D252 and engine could not be used instead of an electric pump? Especially if it is going on a golf cart. At 6 GPM and 300 PSI, there is enough to run a 1 gallon/M boom and keep the tank agitated. I use similar products Certainty, Image DG, metsulfuron, simazine, nothing is a clear liquid that truly goes into solution. Even my backpack sprayers are all engine driven with return agitation for the tank.

Ric
02-05-2009, 01:57 PM
Arturf

Fimco is as good as any.

Green

Agitation is only needed on non solutions once mixed. But I have set up a second 12v pump for Agitation only.

ArTurf
02-05-2009, 10:40 PM
If someone were to use Barricade/Prodiamine what would they use to spray it?