PDA

View Full Version : blacktop sealing..do you do it?..$$$??

GarPA
03-04-2002, 08:47 AM
Last year when the turf when dormant I pushed blacktop sealing to primarily neighbors, friends and a few good clients. Very profitable work and EZ to do....just be very careful where you step!!! made that mistake more than once..dah...

Used only an Agway sealer (not filler)...$7 for 5 gal.....did a very nice job...( was told by a guy who has the largest paving company in the area that the worst thing people do is place heavy filler material sealers on...the driveway needs to breathe or otherwise it will crack sooner than if you put nothing at all on it.)..I mention this b4 any of you say this product is junk... driveways were all in pretty good shape b4 I started. The prices charged here in my area are between $225 and $300.( rough avg of about 1500 to 2000 sg ft rolled on) I charged on avg $150 and easily netted $100 for 1.5 hrs of work. I only found a few posts here on this...do any of you smaller guys find this profitable as I have? I dont price per foot unless the driveway is huge... if you do this how do you price?? thanks much...Kitzy

Premo Services
03-04-2002, 10:01 AM
I guess if you was using a good sealer, and doing quality work, it may be something to consider. You see a lot of people doing this around here, and they use cheap,watered down sealer that don`t last. I would not want people to associate my company with them. I may be checking into this to supplement my income.

I have some customers that get their drives sealed all the time, and are asking if I know anyone that does it. Mabey this year, I can say, I can take of that for you, would you like a bid?
Kitzy: How did you come across info on a good type sealer to use.
I would be interested on how to bid a larger drive also.

ladibugg
03-04-2002, 10:05 AM
I was thinking of offering this service, but got so busy last year that it never materialized. Is there a lot of compatition in this service in your area?

GarPA
03-04-2002, 10:24 AM
Premo...a couple of years ago I bought someof this Ageay product and used it on my bigggg driveway...after a year it looked as good as my neighbors who paid the big bucks to have it done ...soI started using it for clients...and they are very pleased

Around August a couple of companies here do major door to door fliers for sealing.. they all do very good work...but like I said, the price they charge is frankly ridiculous...b4 I started doing my own I had them estimate for me...it was like $250...no way I would pay that...and I'm not 'lowballing' either...I guess since this is one of their core services they want a higher price

I have not, and will not market this service separately...I do this primarlily for existing turf customers...if you try to match these companies who do this full time they will eat your lunch in marketing penetration...now if someone stops by and asks me for a quote, I'll give it to them but I dont do any mass cold call advertising...and since a driveway should not be sealed every year I dont do that much of it but its a nice sideline

DMAN
03-04-2002, 02:49 PM
kitzy,
i was wondering if you could give me some more info on the way you seal the driveways? do you use a roller or one of those brush squeeges you see in the home depots?? i too was going to offer this during a dry spell but i need some suggestions on product application and pricing. Does the job look as good as the guys who spray it on with the agway stuff? any help would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks

Dman

odin
03-04-2002, 03:22 PM
Around here guys are out in trucks with their spray equipment knocking on doors everywhere .Ive seen em give a price and do the job right then and there.
I never really thought about sealcoating until this summer seeing these guys running over one another doing it.
What do you guys use to spray the stuff with?

GarPA
03-04-2002, 04:48 PM
DMON...I'm no expert at this but my results are excellent:

I use a roller not a brush or squeegee
trim the grass back at all edges..then blow off the driveway
tape the edges around walks and tape a straight line at the street so a nice straight line is created

NEVER DO THIS IN THEHOT SUN...IF YOU CAN'T GET A JOB DONE BY 10 am wait til another day...the spray guys can do it anytime...in the heat and applying it by hand it creates brush marks...looks like Harry Homewoner did it

take a bottled water jug cut in half and use this to scoop the material out of the 5 gal can..do small areas but keep moving and keep a 'wet edge' just like painting a wall..and be careful where you step!!! wear old sneaks for this and keep them

suggest you go to an abandoned store or warehouse...you really need to practice this but once you've done it and get a feel for it you will find it very easy money...but again the number one most important thing to remember is to do it as early in the moring as possible...its a nightmare if the driveway gets hot..hope this helps

odin
03-04-2002, 05:04 PM
kitzy

I see these guys around here spaying the stuff on

GarPA
03-04-2002, 05:16 PM
yes they do that here also...I just don't know anything about the spray technique...I'msure someone here will reply on the spray technique...I just haven't looked into the spray apparatus...my old fashined works for me but spaying looks even quicker and the learning curve might be less

DMAN
03-04-2002, 06:00 PM
kitzy,
thanks for your reply and help. Where do you get the roller you need and what size is it and is it like a paint roller where you can just replace the nap??. Alot of guys spray but i don't have the capitol for that kind of unit now. Do you use masking tape to tape off the drive?? I don't have a agway around me so i assume any of the regular(inexpensive sealers) would do ?? Thanks for the info!!

Dman

GarPA
03-04-2002, 08:20 PM
roller is about 36"...you can buy replacement inserts ...some people I know actually wash them...I just trash it...you dont want to get that mess on you and your vehicle...the roller holder and roller only cost about $8...I charge them $12...duct tape works the best...(cheapo duct tape works the best( not as sticky but still strong and ez to pull up)...can't tell you about other sealers,,,just make sure it is "sealer only"..unless the driveway has alot of cracks...then use filler sealer...if you do it right, any sealer should work...but like I said dont do this until you practice a couple of hours minimum...I tell them to stay off of it for at least 2 days...good luck...by the way all of us howowners for some dumb reason dont think about sealing until August/Sept...I think its a 'winter is coming mindset' thing...if you sell this service in april may and june you'll be ahead of the guys who mass market this...the landscape looks best here in PA in May...so what not have a nice black driveway to go along with it?? Ok you know all i know now about this not so interesting topic...one more thing buy some latex gloves like your hemmoroid doctor uses...for the same reason...tee hee.....

crew
03-04-2002, 09:04 PM
I made some good dough doing this in college and it came up as a service some of my customers wanted.

I'm pretty sure the guys who are spraying are only getting the material down a nd spread out and then they finish with a squigee. Thats how I've done it in the past.

Keep us posted on how this pans out and I'll do the same.

landscaper3
03-05-2002, 07:41 PM
Going rate around here is 12cents a sqft

CT18fireman
03-05-2002, 07:50 PM
I have done my own anf a few family drives. Never sold it. Wondering if you need any kind of liscensing for this? I too have seen the guys in the spray trucks. Most around here have NY plates on them. Don't look very reputable.

John DiMartino
03-06-2002, 07:08 AM
My cousin does seal coating,he sprays it on,and thats it,nothing else,no brush or squegee,just blow the driveway,and spray it on,he carries a piece of cardboard with him,and pays it on edges or curbs before he sprays it,so he doesnt have to mask anything.Hardly anyone who does this will use a new truck,they al use the older stiff,you gotta see what the inside of your truck looks like after you have used it for sealcoating for 3 yrs,it aint pretty.Everyone charges by the square foot here,.10 cents a square foot is the going rate,any less,and your cheap.

rodney
03-06-2002, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by landscaper3
Going rate around here is 12cents a sqft

same here but parking lots go down lower usally 8 cents a sqft.

john dimartino
you are right on messy trucks theres a lot around her that i wouldnt want to even get in and drive or put any lawn care tools in the bed where they had the tank. some will have 3"of seal on there brake peddle.

UGA
03-06-2002, 06:19 PM
My buddy does the same thing to aggregate porches and drive ways here in Nashville. I helped him a few summers ago at a large condominium complex in on of the nicer areas in town. We would work together to clean off several back porches on the same row that he had just lied up recently then I would start pressure washing the first one while he went around getting other business close by. After awhile he would be back and start rolling the sealant out on the first unit and in a couple hours we had made about $500 bucks because he was charging from 75-150 per depending on the size. Just my .02

raiano
05-30-2009, 01:10 PM
I live in PA I think u might also be from PA. I've been sealcoating and paving 4 almost 5 yrs, alot of $ in itBut u need to start a good customer base. Your question about sealer the goo material u can prob find a Co. called sealmaster near u, the material they sale is top of the line and u cut it with about 30% water. Alot of money out there just gotta go out and get it. Lemme kno I'm new on this

PaceSetter
05-31-2009, 10:40 AM
Raiano, this is a 7 year old thread your replying to....

raiano
05-31-2009, 02:54 PM
Did not kno I just started on here.

Gary w. s.
06-08-2009, 08:16 PM
I have been doing sealcoating for I guess 6 years now. You got me laughing. Sounds like you should stick to cutting lawns. No disrespect, If you have any questions feel free to contact me.