PDA

View Full Version : Hunter Industries Announces Acquisition of FX Luminaire

irrig8r
02-05-2009, 12:06 PM
Heard over in the lighting forum.
Interesting discussion going on there about it.

http://committoblue.com/blue-blog/2009/2/5/hunter-industries-announces-acquisition-of-fx-luminaire.html

Hunter Industries has acquired FX Luminaire, makers of high quality, low voltage exterior lighting components. Expanding their presence beyond irrigation in the green industry is a natural progression for the Irrigation Innovators, who have been setting the bar and expanding the borders of residential and commercial irrigation for 26 years.

By combining aerospace-grade materials, superior workmanship, and a nearly architectural take on design, FX Luminaire, located in San Diego, CA, has been producing high-value exterior lighting components for over 18 years, complemented by the industry’s best exclusive warranty of 10 years.

“With a solid current product line and many exciting new brands in the pipeline, including an energy-efficient LED model line, FX Luminaire is an ideal addition to Hunter Industries,” states Richard Hunter, President and CEO of Hunter Industries. “With our similar foundations in individual innovation, exceptional construction, and pioneering approaches to our industries, both companies have come together in an obvious marriage of tradition and reinvention. We are especially thrilled to team up with another local company so we can do this all with one of our own neighbors.”

FX Luminaire founder and President Joshua Beadle agrees, “We are honored to have the Hunter name associated with our products. Both Hunter and FX stand for forward-looking product innovation, reliability, and superior customer service. Together we represent critical mass: bringing our customers resource-efficient landscape components with a distributor and sales support network that will continue to define the industry."

Kiril
02-05-2009, 12:57 PM
Interesting ......... wonder when we will see a residential/light commercial controller with lighting support.

Wet_Boots
02-05-2009, 01:11 PM
I want a lighting transformer/controller with a Smartport interface.

allinearth
02-05-2009, 08:25 PM
An obvious transition.....Hmmmm....Why didn't Rain Bird think if that?:hammerhead:

hoskm01
02-05-2009, 11:13 PM
An obvious transition.....Hmmmm....Why didn't Rain Bird think if that?:hammerhead:
Mayhaps youre out of the loop all together, but you can make just about any controller work with lights.

Get in the game.

Kiril
02-06-2009, 12:00 AM
Mayhaps youre out of the loop all together, but you can make just about any controller work with lights.

Get in the game.

Yea, if you want to be a hacker dweeb. :laugh:

Waterit
02-06-2009, 12:05 AM
Yea, if you want to be a hacker dweeb. :laugh:

That's me, that's me...

Armadillolawncare
02-06-2009, 12:57 AM
I want led lights on all my hunter rotors. I want a light show while I water.

Mike Leary
02-06-2009, 10:16 AM
Interesting ......... wonder when we will see a residential/light commercial controller with lighting support.

Good idea, but if we tried that up north, we'd have to get a electrician to wire it.:dizzy: RM has a "non-irrigation" setting for
lights, gates, etc.

Mad Estonian
02-06-2009, 11:37 AM
I want led lights on all my hunter rotors. I want a light show while I water.

I want to see them on MPs. Ooohhh, that would be a pretty sight.

Kiril
02-06-2009, 11:43 AM
Good idea, but if we tried that up north, we'd have to get a electrician to wire it.:dizzy: RM has a "non-irrigation" setting for
lights, gates, etc.

What I would like to see is a controller with variable output (i.e. 24 volt for irrigation, 12 or 24 volt for lighting).

Mike Leary
02-06-2009, 03:25 PM
What I would like to see is a controller with variable output (i.e. 24 volt for irrigation, 12 or 24 volt for lighting).

Imagine what home-owners would do with THAT option. ;)

reb12
02-06-2009, 06:13 PM
Just my thoughts

Mike Leary
02-06-2009, 06:20 PM
Just my thoughts

Just mine.....

irrig8r
02-06-2009, 08:13 PM

24V output is fine for controlling lighting, whether it be 120V, 24V or 12V lighting, because it's done via a relay.

Kiril
02-06-2009, 08:21 PM
24V output is fine for controlling lighting, whether it be 120V, 24V or 12V lighting, because it's done via a relay.

Ayyy, without the relay. :)

allinearth
02-07-2009, 06:34 AM

Get in the game.

Ahhhh, its OK, Rain Bird will catch up one of these days.....:rolleyes:

NOT

Sprinkus
02-07-2009, 08:31 AM
Irritrol PC Control can be used to control lighting via a relay. Lighting zones can be set to ignore the rain sensor.
Ummm, yeah, I went back and read the posts so ignore this. I'll go have my coffee now.

AI Inc
02-07-2009, 08:55 AM

I was questioning a lighting manufacturer about that at NE grows last week.
His answer was probably never as there is only 1 24 v manufacturer and they would actualy require more then 24v for long runs , heavy runs . Think how a lighting mutitap has 12v 13 v 14 v ect.

hoskm01
02-07-2009, 09:01 AM
Ahhhh, its OK, Rain Bird will catch up one of these days.....:rolleyes:

NOT
So you chose not to read any of the posts here?

ANY CONTROLLER CAN RUN LIGHTS, ANY BRAND. Look up relay in the dictionary.
This is not a brand competition, Junior.

Kiril
02-08-2009, 01:56 AM
I was questioning a lighting manufacturer about that at NE grows last week.
His answer was probably never as there is only 1 24 v manufacturer and they would actualy require more then 24v for long runs , heavy runs . Think how a lighting mutitap has 12v 13 v 14 v ect.

Good point. It would obviously need some variable output control on the voltage. Any of you electrical wonders have any ideas on how to provide variable output control (not relays) on a per "zone" basis utilizing a 24 volt transformer ?

Waterit
02-08-2009, 09:47 AM
Resistors.

Kiril
02-08-2009, 09:51 AM
Resistors.

Ayyy, I was thinking a rheostat as well ... but how to do it with per zone control via the face plate?

Wet_Boots
02-08-2009, 10:20 AM
Outputs could be varied with the proper power supply, but then you get away from transformers, and into switching-type supplies, which are vastly more complex, and way less safe.

TRILAWNCARE
02-08-2009, 01:40 PM
Good point. It would obviously need some variable output control on the voltage. Any of you electrical wonders have any ideas on how to provide variable output control (not relays) on a per "zone" basis utilizing a 24 volt transformer ?

To have different zones with different voltages, you would use several voltage regulator circuits similar to this.

You could replace the variable resistor with gates (fancy name for a switch) to select different ohlm resistors that will change the voltages to 12, 13, 14 ect. The gates could be controlled by a push button on the face plate of the controller along with some other internal circuitry. As Boots said it starts getting more complex. Though I'm not sure why it would be any less safe than a multi-tap transformer, your just using a single tap transformer of say 15 volts and reducing the voltage to what you need.

A voltage regulator circuit to run a outdoor lighting system would need to be very larger. Most outdoor light bulbs are either 10 or 50 watts. 10 lights with 10 watt bulbs would equal 100 watts. 100 watts on a 12 Volt system will draw just over 8 amps. Most irrigation zones are running around a quarter of a amp (holding current). Combine a couple of lighting zones together and you have a large transformer and large circuits that will create a lot of heat.

This is not something your going to fit into a small irrigation controller box. You would most likely need a pedestal mount. With lots of room to mount a transformer and dissipate the heat. Maybe even cooling fans.

Calsense does have a option for lighting on there controllers. But it is just a 24 Volt output to operate a relay that would be used to switch on and off up to four lighting transformer according to the program set in the controller. Not sure about Rainmaster as suggested by ML, all I see on there controllers is that you can get a option for lightning protection. But I didn't look very hard either.

Waterit
02-08-2009, 02:00 PM
Oh great, now we have TriCare with the formulas and all acting like Son of WetKiril.

Mike Leary
02-08-2009, 02:03 PM
Oh great, now we have TriCare with the formulas and all acting like Son of WetKiril.

::::::::::: Pours another jigger of Jack Black:::::::::::dizzy:

ARGOS
02-08-2009, 04:31 PM
Soooo...what about those crazy fisherman on the ice float. Crazy!

Mike Leary
02-08-2009, 04:34 PM
Soooo...what about those crazy fisherman on the ice float. Crazy!

Too many fat people and their rigs can cause that sort of thing, I'm told. :dizzy:

hoskm01
02-08-2009, 04:54 PM
::::::::::: Pours another jigger of Jack Black:::::::::::dizzy:
You better pace yourself. The ways these threads are going, youre going to run out of Jack Black, or Jiggers. Who drinks out of a jigger anyway?

http://www.2oceansvibe.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/09/jack-black-1.jpg

Brewers reserve? Doesnt seem your style.

http://www.sephora.com/assets/dyn/brand/3297/3297_hero.jpg

Are you joining the oil/skin care conversation from the other thread?

Mike Leary
02-08-2009, 04:58 PM
Are you joining the oil/skin care conversation from the other thread?

Yes, I've been using Dello 10/40 for years and find it a great lubricate.

hoskm01
02-08-2009, 05:14 PM
Ive always been a Rotella kinda guy.

Just poured myself a Crystal Lightron for afternoon refreshment.