PDA

View Full Version : My first pond

Southernlandscape343
02-05-2009, 02:42 PM
Alright, I'm 19 years old and have always wanted to put a pond in the back yard. So I got going at it in November. Keep in mind this has been an on going project and I plan on putting plants around the pond and getting more stone that is diffrent than what I already have. Anyways here are the pictures. What do you think for a first timer? I learned a ton doing this myself.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c100/chevrolet18891/Landscaping006-1.jpg
Before

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c100/chevrolet18891/0052.jpg

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c100/chevrolet18891/pondinprogress.jpg
Partially done. I have done alot more work with the rocks and it looks alot better than this picture. I don't have any really recent ones but when I get some new ones I'll post them up here.

scooterbug311
02-05-2009, 09:08 PM
hey man good effert. i like the design. i just wanted to let you know that flag stone is a very UNnatural stone for water features. i learned that the hard way on my first pondless. can i give you some poiters? i would take all of that stone off and make a very nice patio or walkway with the flag. if you do a patio you and your family and friends will be able to get right up next to it and really enjoy it. i would replace it with some nice cobble and your local landscape supply yard should have a "pond mix" which is from 2"-18" cobs. That way you can handle all the stone with on person and not have to rent any equipment. maybe some small boulders that you can move. I like the size and the design but those are just so ideas. stay open minded and youur pond will beeome your master piece. ventureweat is another pond guy that will have some great ideas. keep up the good work man.

DLAWNS
02-05-2009, 10:55 PM
Nice job for your first pond. Scooterbug311--You seem very knowledgeable....if and when I do ponds ad waterfalls (maybe someday) I will be sure to post pics for you to critique.

StBalor
02-06-2009, 07:00 AM
Good job. Like said before you might want to change the stone around a bit.
I can see that flag stone being used as a patio around that pond now. I even see you sipping on a glass of tea sitting next to your pond. I keep wanting to try my 1st pond but have not gotten to it yet.

Southernlandscape343
02-06-2009, 01:18 PM
I would love to use the flagstone to make a patio back there by the pond. Maybe one day I'll convince my parents to let me "redo" the pond, or atleast the stone around it. I really want to put some boulders around the pond too. I haven't run an electrical line out there other than the extention cord that I have running to the pump. I still need to get conduit and run a line from the house out there. I also plan on doing some low voltage lighting out there. Any ideas for lighting the pond? I think it would be cool to have lights in the water. I appreciate yall's kind words.

XStream Aquatics
02-06-2009, 09:27 PM
Be careful with the extension cord, I don't know how long it is but the longer the cord the less amps getting to the pump which will cause damage to the pump if it's not running on the amps that's needed(void warranty and some major distributors can tell). Hey all first timers before you go and try to build a pond take a look at the pics that are on this site. It will save you alot of first steps that we had to take to get where we are. I wish I would've know about this site when I first got into ponds. And yes please stay away from flags on a water feature. Try and use less rock it makes a big difference.

scooterbug311
02-07-2009, 01:30 PM
dlawns, i would love to give you some ideas on your first pond/water feature. i have not done that many myself, but i have grown up in colorado my whole life and i visit to mountains a lot so i know first hand what a water fall or stream or pond is suppose to look like. i have also researched the crap out of water feature construction and have been a member with lawnsite for awhile now. i have asked a lot of questions and have talked to a lot of good pond builders on here as well. my first pondless i research for four months looking in books, on line, and my boys on lawnsite. and after all the research my install flew. i felt like i had built ponds my whole life. i DO NOT like all the people on this site that has something to say about every water feature that is shown on here. i feel there is more bashing then critiquing. NOT everyone wants a natural looking feature nor want to hear all the s!*# talking. i like when people are kind with their words and give GOOD pointers and not what they would do. in my eyes thoose guys are my competitors and i feel they are sad cuz i got paid and not them. WE are the perfesionals and that is why WE take care of OUR customers. WHAT THE CUSTOMERS WANT....THEY GET! if they want flagstone then thats what they want. i WILL NOT turn down work. its too hard to come by these days. SO yeah i felt like i needed to get that off my chest. there has been some members on this pond site that have bugged me for over the last year or so and now i am seeking out. VENTERWEST..... your my boy. thanks for the GREAT advice on stuff and THANK you for your KIND words.

scooterbug311
02-07-2009, 01:35 PM
oh after studying your feature i have some ideas so hit me up.

scooterbug311
02-07-2009, 01:49 PM

what do you think'

Lite4
02-07-2009, 04:57 PM
Hey thats a good effort for your first one. Thanks for being brave enough to post it on here and being willing to take critique. Personally I am not a big fan of flagstone or cobble type water features as I believe they don't really look too natural. I have yet to go hiking and see one like it in nature. Let nature be your guide and study how they look and perform in the wild. I realize the smaller stone is easier to handle but you can handle 350-500 pound boulders with an extra guy and a sturdy ball cart. On your next one, try working with some larger stone and think about it going together like a puzzle in a way. Go back through some of the pics on this site from many of the participants here and you will find some good examples of that. Good luck and keep creating!

XStream Aquatics
02-08-2009, 01:05 AM
we handle alot of boulders by cutting a piece of underlayment and carry the rock in it like a sling.

STL Ponds and Waterfalls
02-08-2009, 12:45 PM
Get 2 metal poles that are sturdy and use some straps and set the boulders in like your carrying a stretcher. Obviously this takes 2 people but it makes a more dramatic water feature. This way is great for setting stone slabs, steps, large charactor boulders. etc.

scooterbug311
02-09-2009, 12:28 AM
i agree with firefly. around here though in colorado there is a tone of cobbles in our rivers. i agree you dont see cobble stacked all around to make a feature but you can get closer to "natural" then flag stone. now if we get really picky about natural...... i have NEVER seen as i ahve been outhiking or fishing IN the river have i ever seen a big boulder have water gushing out of the top. i have seen water go around, threw, under and over but not act as the main water sorce of the river, stream etc. BUT bubbling rocks are a cool effect and there in nothing wrong ith them at all.... but "techniclly" not natural. so..... that brings me to my last post of saying not everything is natural. Nature is unperfectly perfect. to me.. as a water feature builder.... we can come close but not as perfect as nature herself.

Venturewest
02-09-2009, 12:20 PM
good tips on carrying boulders. I have tried straps but not with poles, and man if you use underlayment you don't have to get it out when you are done!!

Lite4
02-09-2009, 12:25 PM
i agree with firefly. around here though in colorado there is a tone of cobbles in our rivers. i agree you dont see cobble stacked all around to make a feature but you can get closer to "natural" then flag stone. now if we get really picky about natural...... i have NEVER seen as i ahve been outhiking or fishing IN the river have i ever seen a big boulder have water gushing out of the top. i have seen water go around, threw, under and over but not act as the main water sorce of the river, stream etc. BUT bubbling rocks are a cool effect and there in nothing wrong ith them at all.... but "techniclly" not natural. so..... that brings me to my last post of saying not everything is natural. Nature is unperfectly perfect. to me.. as a water feature builder.... we can come close but not as perfect as nature herself.

Well said.

Lucky Star Lawn Care
02-12-2009, 12:46 AM
A good start...Scooterbug has good points. I have yet to do one but have studied the hell out of them and went to a class. And since this is at your house this pond will never end because over time you will see different things you can do or change. Post some updated pics to show us changes

scooterbug311
02-12-2009, 02:07 AM
luckey star..... where are you from? what kind of yard care equipment do you run?

Lucky Star Lawn Care
02-12-2009, 02:36 AM
Pm sent.........

Southernlandscape343
02-12-2009, 12:51 PM
I went to Pikes family nursery yesterday and got some ferns, cat tails and a few other "aquatic" plants. I got them for 50% off since they are currently dorment. Ever since I put the pond in we have had more birds in our backyard then we have ever had before. My mom loves it because she can hear the water and the birds. Along with watching them. Two days ago we had over 20 birds drinking from the pond at one time.

I've also had 2 neighbors call saying they heard water coming from our house :laugh:

scooterbug311
02-14-2009, 11:01 AM
with your cattails, i would suggest keeping them in container when you put them in your pond. if you dont, watch out, they will over take your pond very very quickly. other then that.... thats awesome you are adding to your landscpae project. post somemore pictures of it.

MC Handy Man
02-18-2009, 11:22 PM
About lifting boulders, I have used forearm forklifts... I am sure you have seen them you can get them at many home improvement stores. They work awsome for lifing boulders, multiple masonry bags, trees, even your equipment if for some reason you had to. They are awsome! I do like your pond allot, if you have kids, they will love to see some fish swiming around in there.