PDA

View Full Version : would this be a good idea?

Surferbum21
02-05-2009, 02:36 PM
I don't want to throw a skid spray in the bed of my truck b/c i use the bed when not attached to trailer all the time. I am buying a new tandem axle trailer (5000 lbs axles) and was thinking I could throw the sprayer at the front and put the mowers behind it. Good or bad idea? Or should I just have a seperate trailer? I've even given thought to buying another flatbed truck to throw it on and pull the trailer with that. But kinda against the idea of having two trucks right now until I get way bigger. My truck is pretty much my personal truck too!

grassman177
02-05-2009, 04:36 PM
i have known guys to slide the skid (with helpers )in and out as needed, you may consider that depending on how big the unit. i would not have it on the trailer all the time with mowers, just increases the chance of accidents and damage. could be real bad. or an small extra cheap trailers could be a good option as well. just my thoughts

VARMIT COMMISSION
02-05-2009, 05:23 PM
If you put the sprayer say a 200 gallon sprayer in the nose of the trailer. That would be in excess of probably 2000 pounds. Water is just over 8 #'s/gallon. Plus fertilizer say 15 bags @ 750 #'s thats in your bed of the truck so your mowing equipment doesnt tear the bag's. Your bumper would be dragging the ground. I unloaded that sprayer I bought last night that you saw on craiglist and it's not a one man job. You'd rip your azz trying to load and unload alone. I'd put it on the trailer, and in two years your gunna quit mowing and all your gunna be doin is spraying anyway's.

Ric
02-05-2009, 05:38 PM
Surferbum21

IMO I would not want the cut and spray the same day. If I am spraying weeds I want several days growth on the lawn for better weed control. If I had a helper, I wouldn't want to pay him to sit while I sprayed after cutting. Therefore I would set up a separate trailer for spraying. The fact is, while I have a cab over spray truck I also have two different trailers with skid sprayers for special jobs. I find working out of a trailer is not all that different other than some minor parking problems.

Josh.S
02-05-2009, 05:49 PM
I'd put it on the trailer, and in two years your gunna quit mowing and all your gunna be doin is spraying anyway's.

Why does it always work out this way? I have heard this before from several other people... is the money in fert just that much better? Do you guys get to overwhelmed trying to do both?

JDUtah
02-05-2009, 05:52 PM
Why does it always work out this way? I have heard this before from several other people... is the money in fert just that much better? Do you guys get to overwhelmed trying to do both?

Less headache, less labor, more cash.

Surferbum21
02-05-2009, 07:51 PM
Less headache, less labor, more cash.

hmmm....i'm wishing i woulda done this a long time ago then

grassman177
02-05-2009, 10:43 PM
they are both good though, we do both and our service area really demands it. if you do one or the other and not both, then you are not a big company here for the most part

mngrassguy
02-05-2009, 11:03 PM
A friend of mine keeps his on his trailer with his mowing equipment all summer. When he is spraying, he leaves the mowing stuff at home. When he is mowing, his tank is empty. He rigged up a cool hoist in his shed so he can "lift" the skid off his trailer by himself when ever he needs to.

Josh.S
02-06-2009, 01:36 AM
A friend of mine keeps his on his trailer with his mowing equipment all summer. When he is spraying, he leaves the mowing stuff at home. When he is mowing, his tank is empty. He rigged up a cool hoist in his shed so he can "lift" the skid off his trailer by himself when ever he needs to.

I've never thought about a hoist. I guess I'm not the brightest! haha... Anybody could just buy a hoist for like $100 or so at harbor freight and rig it up. Then anytime you want to unload the sprayer just make places to hook a couple of straps to and hoist it out.

RigglePLC
02-06-2009, 09:01 AM
Or...use a boat trailer winch--slide the skid sprayer out onto a picnic table. Its never the exact height you need though. You may need help putting it back on the truck. Do all this when its empty. But its never empty.

http://www.iboats.com/Boat_Trailer_Hand_Winches/dm/cart_id.071201761--dz.5016--session_id.658631454--view_id.217616

MnLefty
02-06-2009, 09:24 AM

Good idea on the hoist... I know people that do it with bed liners and toppers. If I were going to go that route I think I would set it up to go in and out of the truck then, instead of the trailer.

tlg
02-06-2009, 10:50 AM

YES! One Technician can go out and service on average 30 accounts by himself. That tech can gross in $1500 on average. If he's doing grub apps you can pretty much double that. A 5K lawn only takes a few minutes to do. A average lawn mowing crew has 3 to 4 people, a bunch of equipment, and it may take 15 min to cut, trim and blow off. All for 35 or 40 bucks! the margins in fert are just higher as well as production.

Ric
02-06-2009, 10:53 AM
hmmm....i'm wishing i woulda done this a long time ago then

Surferbum

Ditto Ditto. Yep been there done that and have the Tee Shirt to prove it. A lot less stress not having to baby sit employees and while your gross sales are a lot less you keep a much higher percentage of that gross. A ton of equipment that you don't have to maintain any more either. I actually had a very good full time mechanic Who did nothing but keep the equipment running and was always behind waiting on parts.

I am actually Glad I did the total service thing at one time and my only regret was not making the down size to straight Fert & Squirt sooner. But I think my experience as a full service provider made me a better Fert & Squirt guy today.

Josh.S
02-06-2009, 11:19 AM
YES! One Technician can go out and service on average 30 accounts by himself. That tech can gross in $1500 on average. If he's doing grub apps you can pretty much double that. A 5K lawn only takes a few minutes to do. A average lawn mowing crew has 3 to 4 people, a bunch of equipment, and it may take 15 min to cut, trim and blow off. All for 35 or 40 bucks! the margins in fert are just higher as well as production.

Hopefully the fert deal works out for me because the mowing that I'm doing now is a PIA. Snow plowing is the worst PIA, but the mowing is that way too... basically the main problem I see with mowing is that a full schedule in spring leads to only working every other week mid summer. Also in spring everybody wants their yard done every 5 days and with fert there seems to be a little more room for when the applications can be performed. So I'm not the only one that feels this way I guess..

Surferbum21
02-06-2009, 12:21 PM
Surferbum

Ditto Ditto. Yep been there done that and have the Tee Shirt to prove it. A lot less stress not having to baby sit employees and while your gross sales are a lot less you keep a much higher percentage of that gross. A ton of equipment that you don't have to maintain any more either. I actually had a very good full time mechanic Who did nothing but keep the equipment running and was always behind waiting on parts.

I am actually Glad I did the total service thing at one time and my only regret was not making the down size to straight Fert & Squirt sooner. But I think my experience as a full service provider made me a better Fert & Squirt guy today.

I always knew there was good money in spraying but damn. my buddy has 6 guys working for him. I asked him why he doesn't get into spraying and he says b/c you only service 1 customer 4-6 times a year so you have to have 4 times th amount of customers to make good money.

But I knew differently esp. when I saw the Trugreen guy come to my moms house and spray the yard in 10 minutes for $45. Not to mention he did the one across the street and next door...$135 in 30 minutes? show me where to sign

rcreech
02-06-2009, 12:27 PM
I always knew there was good money in spraying but damn. my buddy has 6 guys working for him. I asked him why he doesn't get into spraying and he says b/c you only service 1 customer 4-6 times a year so you have to have 4 times th amount of customers to make good money.

But I knew differently esp. when I saw the Trugreen guy come to my moms house and spray the yard in 10 minutes for $45. Not to mention he did the one across the street and next door...$135 in 30 minutes? show me where to sign

Agree with you that it sounds like that would be the case...but I have a buddy that mows and does lawn work and pushes snow and he works from sun up to sun down!

I work from 7 or 8:00 to about 3:00 or so every day and don't work from Dec until Middle of March!

I guarantee I make atleast 2x or more then he does everyday and my work is much easier and cleaner!