PDA

View Full Version : weedwacker difference straight/curved??

MIlawncareservice
02-05-2009, 03:51 PM
I am getting ready to purchase a new weedeater. My question is whats better/difference/pros/cons the straight shaft or curved, I see curved is cheaper but not sure why? I plan on purchasing from the echo line at homedepot.

thanks

RGM
02-05-2009, 03:57 PM
I work at depot part time the 230 is a good unit to start with but its not the same as a good srm 260 you get at a dealer. The 260 is a much better unit and curved shafts just don't last as long and can/t get under everything. I use the home depot stock line that comes in the 3 lb spool the .105 it comes in a square or star shape much cheaper then the echo line and lasts just as long

KrayzKajun
02-05-2009, 04:18 PM
whts a weedwacker?? jus kiddin

al depends on yur preference on strait or curved

olde_blue
02-06-2009, 10:33 AM
My first pro-grade string trimmer was a Stihl FS-75 (a curved shaft trimmer with the pro-grade engine--no longer made). I bought it because it was cheap and significantly lighter (8.8 lbs) than a straight shaft FS-85 (~10.8 lbs). The only straight-shaft I had used before was very heavy and clumsy.

The FS-75 still works great, but I retired it and replaced it with a straight-shaft trimmer, an FS100RX. With a reasonably light straight shaft, you can trim faster and with greater precision. When you move a curved shaft trimmer from side to side, the head swings like a pendulum, making it harder to keep level, slowing you down. This disadvantage, combined with the shorter reach of curved shafts, make them much slower for mowing slopes and odd corners.

Be sure to handle various trimmers to check out the balance, comfortableness of the handles, etc.

Check out Redmax and Kawasaki, as well as Home Depot's Echo. Both make a decent straight-shaft trimmer for around $220.

DLAWNS
02-06-2009, 11:16 AM
I think it depends on your personal preference. Personally myself, I like the straight shaft trimmers and I use all Redmax. I wouldn't really buy from Home Depot...I would check out some local dealers. I think the little bit of extra money you might spend would be well worth it.

paradisescaper
02-06-2009, 03:33 PM
i run 2 echo 230's and they have done an excellent job. they are now 2 years old and im looking for another probally just going to go with the 230. i can get a 210 for $200, the 230 is $270 and the sthil fs 90 is $300 since ive had minimal problems ill just stick with what i got

FYS777
02-06-2009, 05:56 PM
I Like straight shaft, easier to reach under shrubs and trees, can see were your string is cutting better, easier to rake on trailer, easier to trim edges with, better balance for extended use less fatigue. but then again its what you like or can afford at this time.

4.3mudder
02-06-2009, 06:20 PM
Usually, the curved shaft trimmers are for shorter people, and the straight shaft is usually used by taller, and some shorter people also. The main problem with the curved shaft is the cable inside, they do not last like a hollow steel rod inside a straight shaft. Also, many manfucatures DO NOT recommend using attachments such as a brush blade on a curved shaft because of the torque it will snap the cable. Stihl I think makes a solid or hollow steel shaft in their straight shafts, but all the curves are cable and just do not compare to a steel shaft.

RollTide11
02-06-2009, 07:17 PM
Buy the straight one

FYS777
02-06-2009, 07:18 PM
The above is true cable weak steal shaft stronger, very much more life for comr. application:):)

mowerbrad
02-06-2009, 10:02 PM
Like others have said, it really depends on personal preference. Go to a dealer and handle a couple to see which type you like best. But if your budget only allows for a curved shaft, you will still do just fine.

RGM
02-06-2009, 10:45 PM
The 230 are more for a part time landscaper they are echo's first in the commercial line the 260 or better is what to go with I have had the same one since 2002 still going strong

Grits
02-07-2009, 12:20 AM
One reason the Echo curved shaft trimmers are cheaper is because they don't have a gear box. This is why companies make curved shaft trimmers. The curve allows for them to not have a gearbox....and that equals lower price. Most trimmers have a flex cable....and trust me, they are plenty strong. Why are you buying from the Depot? You can get a better selection from an Echo dealer. The dealer has the same or better prices....or can work you a deal if you are buying multiple pieces. Plus, the depot doesn't do service work, the dealer does. I can not stress this enough, buy from a dealer and not the Depot.

FYS777
02-07-2009, 12:34 AM
I agree no gear box cheaper, here in our town we have two places that sell them depot and dealer, dealer also sells other brands, but dealer is 30 bucks higher then depot, depot sell more then dealer by far = lower price by quantity. depends on were you live I quess.:)

Valk
02-09-2009, 02:42 PM
Curved shafted trimmers' turn the head/line in a clockwise direction
Straight shaft trimmers' turn the head/line in a counterclockwise direction.

Find what's advantageous to your style of trimming/edging. A straight shaft works best for my edging style as I walk backwards trimming from right to left - this shoots more of the debris away (from me) and gives me a better view of my task. As I transition to trimming around a house, etc, I then walk forwards while trimming left to right.

I'm not telling anyone to remove the guard, but I do - and I'm a better & more efficient trimmer/edger w/o it. Far less string is used as an added bonus.
$0.02