RABBITMAN11
02-05-2009, 04:55 PM
How many guys have started for spring?

grenskpr
02-05-2009, 05:33 PM
We are about a 1/3 done with round 1

grassman177
02-05-2009, 05:34 PM
not until first week or two of march. we start with cleanups but weather is breaking i think for the better (dont quote me one that) and today was all kinds of nice out. too k the day to put out some flyers in hopes of new customers

VARMIT COMMISSION
02-05-2009, 05:46 PM
Started Monday and again on Wednesday. Shut down until next Wednesday cause wind and rain. Severe weather on Monday. Look's like tornado season is gett'n really close. I had cabin fever so bad I actually lost sleep Sunday night thinking about spraying. Man it felt good to start-up.

Ducati996
02-05-2009, 05:50 PM
Not allowed by law before April 1 (Suffolk County, long Island NY) :dizzy:

grassman177
02-05-2009, 06:15 PM
you new york guys have all kinds of trouble in this industry with the crazy laws they have imposed. i feel empathetic for you

ted putnam
02-05-2009, 06:17 PM
Started Monday and again on Wednesday. Shut down until next Wednesday cause wind and rain. Severe weather on Monday. Look's like tornado season is gett'n really close. I had cabin fever so bad I actually lost sleep Sunday night thinking about spraying. Man it felt good to start-up.

Same here brother... couldn't stand it any longer. Looks like rain here Sat- next Wed. That's ok. Worked out all the kinks this week.

DA Quality Lawn & YS
02-06-2009, 12:14 AM
Started for spring?????????

Maybe in about 2 to 2 1/2 months, doing cleanups and spring fert.
Its a different animal up here boys.

ted putnam
02-06-2009, 12:33 AM
Started for spring?????????

Maybe in about 2 to 2 1/2 months, doing cleanups and spring fert.
Its a different animal up here boys.

Yea its a different animal... The Abominable Snowman! :laugh::laugh:

mngrassguy
02-06-2009, 12:39 AM
No kidding. We're still ice fishing here. Went snowmobiling yesterday. I usually start april 1st. Some cities won't let us start until April 15th.

1.2.3. green
02-06-2009, 02:56 AM
MY round one was snowplowing 6" on ground here ...upstate -3

americanlawn
02-06-2009, 06:30 PM
We usually get started March 8 to March 15 -- sometimes as late as March 22. I remember trying to start the last week of February a couple of different years, but both times, we had to put the snow plows back on, then wait a week or two for the snow to melt again. That was a PIA. We always wait until the snow & sheets of ice have disappeared before we start, but our local TG usually starts about 10 days prior -- snow/ice or no snow/ice. :confused: We're in central Iowa. My Kansas City friends usually start 2 or 3 weeks before we do. Friends in the Twin cities usually start two weeks after us.

Hope you get an early start this year. americanlawn :waving:

MStine315
02-06-2009, 06:57 PM
6 weeks from Monday is March 23rd. That's my goal to start R1, but it seems like the last few years it's been into April. Honestly I know 3/23 is too ambitious, with about a foot of snow on the ground and it was -18 F (air temp.) 2 nights ago.

Whitey4
02-06-2009, 07:34 PM
I keep reading articles from numerous sources written by turf experts that March fert just isn't a good idea. Aside from that, it is expected that my county will follow suit with Suffolk next door and restrict fert apps to March 1 to Oct 30.

From what I've read, these folks talk about how March N apps cause the plant's energy to be spent on leaf growth when it really needs to wake up on it's own and put more energy into root development. The additional energy that goes into developing a deeper root system also reduses summer stress on cool season grasses.

Based on this info, I am fooling around with the idea of an iron app in March to get some green-up and a pre-M starting in the second week of April or there abouts. I am talking about lawns that got a winterizer fert app on Nov 3.

Any thoughts on this? These same "experts" also talk about irrigating only if there hasn't been any spring rain for 5 days or more, also to help develop a deeper root system.

I have to get my contracts out by the end of the month, so I have to make this decision now. I know some guys have to start in March due to your volume, but how/when would you do your own lawn, without productioon goals figured into the equation? BTW... Zone 7....

mngrassguy
02-06-2009, 08:17 PM
I keep reading articles from numerous sources written by turf experts that March fert just isn't a good idea. Aside from that, it is expected that my county will follow suit with Suffolk next door and restrict fert apps to March 1 to Oct 30.

From what I've read, these folks talk about how March N apps cause the plant's energy to be spent on leaf growth when it really needs to wake up on it's own and put more energy into root development. The additional energy that goes into developing a deeper root system also reduses summer stress on cool season grasses.

Based on this info, I am fooling around with the idea of an iron app in March to get some green-up and a pre-M starting in the second week of April or there abouts. I am talking about lawns that got a winterizer fert app on Nov 3.

Any thoughts on this? These same "experts" also talk about irrigating only if there hasn't been any spring rain for 5 days or more, also to help develop a deeper root system.

I have to get my contracts out by the end of the month, so I have to make this decision now. I know some guys have to start in March due to your volume, but how/when would you do your own lawn, without productioon goals figured into the equation? BTW... Zone 7....

I read those articles all the time too. I can see some truth to them but....After 20+ years of treating lawns, I have NEVER noticed a problem with thinning or disease problems in the lawns that are treated early compared to the ones that weren't.

These "experts" don't have paying customers that demand a nice green lawn ASAP or they will find someone else who will get them one.

Run-off is my main concern. I say if the frost is out of the ground, have at it.

Whitey4
02-06-2009, 08:33 PM
I read those articles all the time too. I can see some truth to them but....After 20+ years of treating lawns, I have NEVER noticed a problem with thinning or disease problems in the lawns that are treated early compared to the ones that weren't.

These "experts" don't have paying customers that demand a nice green lawn ASAP or they will find someone else who will get them one.

Run-off is my main concern. I say if the frost is out of the ground, have at it.

My experience is limited, and I defer, but I will say this: The one lawn I mowed that used TruGreen (they are going with me in 2009) was hit with heavy N in early March. I was cutting 5 inches of top growth in April, and that lawn burnt very badly in late July into August despite being irrigated, maybe even over irrigated. There was so much top growth I was mowing off the leaves down to the stems of the grass. I was cutting at 3 inches. Really, it got fried... and that experience got me to thinking that maybe there is something to this.

I'd like to get a nice green up before the spring holidays... Passover and Easter when people have guests visiting and want the lawn to look great. The lawns I held off on suffered very little summer stress.

Thanks for the feedback.

mngrassguy
02-06-2009, 09:00 PM
Sounds like there was more going on there than just an early app. Maybe got a double app? New tech that didn't know what he was doing?

I've been thinking about iron early too. I wonder if the plant is growing enough early to get a good uptake of iron. Maybe one of our agronomy experts will chime in here.

tlg
02-06-2009, 10:11 PM
20 inches of snow here. March 25 th is our target date weather permitting of course. maybe global warming will kick in and melt some of the worst winter we have had in years.

rcreech
02-06-2009, 10:34 PM
Depending on the weather...we will probably start around March 20-25. I am not in a hurry to get started by any means.

Ready to make some cash...but not ready for the season yet! :cry:

tlg
02-06-2009, 11:13 PM
I need to get to some " real work " soon. Eating to much, spending to much money on stuff I normally put off when were to busy. 7K on a new roof for my house and wife has been furniture shopping ( nobody told her the economy is shaky). I told her money don't grow on trees! She said I was right. It grows on lawns! Only so much busy work too. Painted the shop for fun, been waxing and cleaning trucks, made room for fert delivery a few times, spending excessive time on lawn site.

1.2.3. green
02-06-2009, 11:25 PM
My experience is limited, and I defer, but I will say this: The one lawn I mowed that used TruGreen (they are going with me in 2009) was hit with heavy N in early March. I was cutting 5 inches of top growth in April, and that lawn burnt very badly in late July into August despite being irrigated, maybe even over irrigated. There was so much top growth I was mowing off the leaves down to the stems of the grass. I was cutting at 3 inches. Really, it got fried... and that experience got me to thinking that maybe there is something to this.

I'd like to get a nice green up before the spring holidays... Passover and Easter when people have guests visiting and want the lawn to look great. The lawns I held off on suffered very little summer stress.

Thanks for the feedback.

Stay far away from TRUGREEN they are a clueless bunch of ripoffs

FdLLawnMan
02-08-2009, 01:01 AM

I agree with you 100%. University of Wisconsin & Purdue do not recommend early season nitrogen. Getting a lawn to come out of dormancy by using nitrogen is just wrong IMO and of many cool season turf schools. I do not start any fertilizer before May 1, preferably May 15 depending on the weather. I use a straight pre-emergent. The problem I can see with the straight iron application is I am not sure if the soil is warm enough to uptake it, but if someone knows better I am all ears. Once I have my customers trained to my schedule I have no problem.

Whitey4
02-08-2009, 02:41 AM
I agree with you 100%. University of Wisconsin & Purdue do not recommend early season nitrogen. Getting a lawn to come out of dormancy by using nitrogen is just wrong IMO and of many cool season turf schools. I do not start any fertilizer before May 1, preferably May 15 depending on the weather. I use a straight pre-emergent. The problem I can see with the straight iron application is I am not sure if the soil is warm enough to uptake it, but if someone knows better I am all ears. Once I have my customers trained to my schedule I have no problem.

First, a correction... they want to limit fert apps from April 1 to Oct 30... not March, my bad. I won't apply N to my lawn (zone 7b) until April 15. Problem is, some of my customers want GREEN for Passover and Easter holidays. I think you are zone 6.. or even 5?

I'm small enough now to get all my apps done in one day. It's a long day, but I can get it done. I need to look into iron and do it quickly. The soil temp hits 50 around the last week of March here. By April 20 to 25 or so, it's at 55, time for crabgrass germination. I prefer to apply Barricade with fert in the spring. Passover comes on April 9, Easter on the 12th. If I use N for green-up, that means applying by March 23 or so. If I can use iron instead, I can hold off on fert/pre-M till April 10th or there abouts.

I could also adjust my schedule.... not ALL of my customers are so hung up on those spring holidays. Hmmmm...

FdLLawnMan
02-08-2009, 07:41 AM
I am in Zone 5 close to Zone 4. I am far away from Lake Michigan that it really has no effect on my weather. If you apply irom it helps to apply with a little nitrogen to help with uptake.

HorseHaven
02-08-2009, 10:45 PM
maybe one of you can tell me can I spray ground clear now on my gravel and along the driveway or should I wait we are still going to get some more snow and rain so should I wait

Whitey4
02-09-2009, 11:55 AM
maybe one of you can tell me can I spray ground clear now on my gravel and along the driveway or should I wait we are still going to get some more snow and rain so should I wait

I would actaully wait on this for some time... after the spring rains. Ground Clear can be nasty stuff if it runs off into areas of turf, plants, or even trees.

If you get some unwanted weeds before that, use Roundup instead, then follow up later on with the Ground Clear.