PDA

View Full Version : Enclosed or open trailer

tom's lawn care
02-05-2009, 08:16 PM
i was wondering what you guys think. I am just starting out, and i need to buy a trailer. i want a 16 ft, and i found a 7 by 16 enclosed trailer for 3600 brand new, or i can get a 7.5 by 16 open trailer for 2300 brand new. What trailer do you think I should by, and what would be best for me, my jobs are mostly residential. Thanks

DLAWNS
02-05-2009, 08:21 PM
It's going to depend. Do you have a place to store equipment? If you don't, the enclosed is the better option. Do you need something to transport mulch, stone, brush? Than maybe an open might suit you better.

Sorry it's not a definite answer, but hopefully I gave you something to think about.

tom's lawn care
02-05-2009, 08:33 PM
Yea thanks, i share a two door garage with my brother, and i don't have enough room to store my mowers, Also i have a 5 by 10 open trailer, to haul brush and stuff on, and I was going to build sides on it for mulch.

DLAWNS
02-05-2009, 09:31 PM
I'd say to get the enclosed then if you have an open trailer for debris and stuff.

scagmower
02-05-2009, 10:03 PM
i have an 7X18 enclosed trailer, they work out really handy, you can just leave all equipment in it, not worry about unloading everynight, and my trailer is actually like a garage on wheels, with all essentials for break downs. Also its like a moving billboard!!! however ive noticed they re alot more heavy, and harder on gas!! but in the long run i would go with the enclosed

tom's lawn care
02-06-2009, 09:51 AM
Alright, I will keep that in mind, I have an F-350 so I am not worried about the weight issue. Thanks alot, I appreaciate it.

THEoneandonlyLawnRanger
02-06-2009, 10:21 AM
For you just starting out i would reccomend a Open trailer, They are more versatile, and when starting up it would be better to have a lower cost invested into the trailer in case your business fails that way you wont be out that much............Open trailer you can haul brush, mulch, rocks, etc........Thats gonna be very hard to do in an closed trailer.........Just my opinion i would go with an open...

tom's lawn care
02-06-2009, 10:57 AM
What if I already have an 5x10 open for brush ect.

tom's lawn care
02-06-2009, 11:10 AM
Well, I think I am set on a enclosed trailer, but if there are any other suggestions, please let me know thanks.

Nick's Lawn Care
02-06-2009, 03:05 PM
I would look into an 18' or so tralier, you could fit 3 mowers on there with a little more room to spare... unless you get a great deal on a 16'...

thats my 2 cents..

nick

dura to the max
02-06-2009, 07:30 PM
ive had em all, and i prefer the open. more versaitle, and i too had an open trailer at the same time as enclosed. i liked having ALL my equipment on the trailer and being able to do w/e by simply unloading a few mowers...

1wezil
02-06-2009, 08:37 PM
I started out with a 16' open trailer it was good to start with but never big enough . you need a open one for a lot of thing to haul from brush to mulch but if you have a small one already I would go with a enclosed one . I am looking at a 8.5' x 24' enclosed this spring so I have a large enough of a trailer so I can take everything with and not have to worry about someone walking off with things when we are working .

lifetree
02-06-2009, 08:55 PM
I'd say to get the enclosed then if you have an open trailer for debris and stuff.

Ditto on that !!

Tommy Boy
02-07-2009, 11:07 AM
Enclosed with all the room on the sides to advertise... If you can swing it get the enclosed, give you a place to pee if needed, keeps your gear in better shape and lock and go. No getting things stolen at lunch

jnrogers
02-07-2009, 06:30 PM
Personally I like enclosed better. I have one and when i get home I just unhook the trailer and dont have to worry about my equipment being outside. Knock on wood I have also never had anything stolen. A friend of mine cant keep weed eaters and blowers on his open trailer because they keep getting stolen. He has tried all kinds of stuff to lock them up.

dura to the max
02-07-2009, 07:01 PM
in all fairness speaking as one who has had both this is in reply to the previous post. i have racks and GOOD locks for my handhelds and have never had anything stolen, and we've worked in some rough areas too...

that said i agree w/ you 100% on how easy it is to secure an enclosed trailer. but the lock on my trimmer rack is the same as the lock on your trailer, thus just as easy to cut.

just wanted to give my opinion, ive had both and think that either option is great. i just prefer open, i also have a building to park under though. they both have pros and cons, many of which have been discussed in this thread. it really comes down to preferance and what works for you.

LawnGuy73
02-08-2009, 08:41 AM
Its all personally pereferance, we can't tell you what you need or what you will like better.

tom's lawn care
02-08-2009, 07:37 PM
Thanks for the imputs, I think an enclosed would be best for me, because I need the storage space, and better sucurity.

gdigman23
02-26-2009, 08:53 PM
Go with the enclosed..More money starting out yeah but how much is your equipment worth..Open your going to have to invest in wheel locks and trimmer locks..Its not worth the worry if you have an open for the hauling, insured or not

King Cuts Landscaping
02-27-2009, 02:20 AM
i was wondering what you guys think. I am just starting out, and i need to buy a trailer. i want a 16 ft, and i found a 7 by 16 enclosed trailer for 3600 brand new, or i can get a 7.5 by 16 open trailer for 2300 brand new. What trailer do you think I should by, and what would be best for me, my jobs are mostly residential. Thanks

didnt you already ask /start a thread like this before? or do i need to go to sleep?:hammerhead:

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=260590

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=260510

supercuts
02-27-2009, 12:37 PM
For you just starting out i would reccomend a Open trailer, They are more versatile, and when starting up it would be better to have a lower cost invested into the trailer in case your business fails that way you wont be out that much............Open trailer you can haul brush, mulch, rocks, etc........Thats gonna be very hard to do in an closed trailer.........Just my opinion i would go with an open...

did you read the other posts? he has another smaller open trailer for that. my thought is how long, every day will it take to load and unload? 15 mins to load, 15 to unload? half hour a day, 2.5hours a week, 10 hours a month. how much money can you make with 10hrs a month and how long would it take to pay off the $1,000 difference.

id go enclosed all day long, if it rains while working then clears up your equiptment stays dry. if you run into a store, its safe. if you on a job away from the truck, you close it and its safe. many pros, only a few cons. i outgrew my 18' in 2 years too, keep that in mind.

jenton
02-27-2009, 02:26 PM
I say if you can go with the enclosed trailer. I would also say go to and 18FT you dot have to fill it now but as you grow you can add on either

humble1
02-27-2009, 03:26 PM
Just my 2 cents - when i used to do landscaping and irrigation i had a 20ft enclosed, It was great it stayed connected to a truck so there was no time loading and unloading every moring paying 3 guys. All the irrigation parts, less pipe were on board so irrigation repairs could be worked into the mowing route. All eauip was out of the rain. If you needed to change after work to do an estimate or get out of soaking wet cloths you could. It was lettered on all 3 sides like a billboard. You could take a piss in a bottle if you had to, without the neighbors seeing you. If you had to run to the hardware store, you could just lock the trailer while on the irrigation install. If you cant see into it, you dont know what you are trying to steal, we had stickers on the doors, equipment taken out of trailer daily,nothing of value stored. Downside, you had to unload the mowers at the gasstation to fuel, the tires burn out quick from side to side movement when turning sharply. More expensive to purchase, and you cant haul bulk material