PDA

View Full Version : What pre-emergent to use?

TC Lawns
02-05-2009, 09:18 PM
I need some advise on what kind of pre emergent to use for grabgrass. The yard is bermuda. I live in Alabama, so it get warm earlier. What kind should I use? And when is the best time to do it?

Thanks

Think Green
02-05-2009, 09:58 PM
Google the products
Pendimethalin! (Pre-M) Stinks--messy as all get out--stains some concrete!
Prodiamine (Barricade) No odor--less messy--costs sufficiently more--works longer.

The time to use a preemerge for crabgrass is when the soil temps are at around 55 degrees consistantly for days. The depth of temperature consistancy is usually 6" deep. The seeds will germinate rapidly at this temp.

Read these labels for your grass type. Rates apply to soil types and weed pressure.

TC Lawns
02-05-2009, 10:37 PM
he also wants the yard aerated and top dressed with compost and sand......pre m before or after I do this, or does it matter?

timturf
02-06-2009, 01:12 PM
Google the products
Prodiamine (Barricade) No odor--less messy--costs sufficiently more--works longer.

The time to use a preemerge for crabgrass is when the soil temps are at around 55 degrees consistantly for days. The depth of temperature consistancy is usually 6" deep. The seeds will germinate rapidly at this temp.

Read these labels for your grass type. Rates apply to soil types and weed pressure.

Actually, measure the soil temp at sunrise, crab will germinate after soil temp at 3" depth is 55 degrees for 3 consecutive days, assuming their is adequate soil moisture. Goose will require temp of 60 degrees

bx24
02-06-2009, 04:22 PM
Google the products

I love the smell of Pre-M :)

Think Green
02-06-2009, 06:16 PM
TimTurf,
Thank you for giving more information to the original question. I was in a bit of a hurry when I posted to the reader.

TCLawns,
There is quite a bit of speculation as to the ideal way for coring the soil while using preemerge, however, I will say that from our Greenskeepers here in the Delta, they do it after the coring is done. Breaking the weed control barrier will cause outbreaks from the core pellets.

ted putnam
02-06-2009, 09:17 PM
I love the smell of Pre-M :)

I'll bet you like the smell of moth balls too. On warm days they smell similar. After 18 years, I liked it so much I started using Prodiamine. :)