PDA

View Full Version : Aeration / Top Dressing Question

TC Lawns
02-05-2009, 09:25 PM
I have a customer that wants his yard aerated and top dressed with compost and sand. And also fill in low spots. Is it ok to aerate a bermuda yard this time of year? also, can I use my fertilizer broadcast spreader to top dress the yard? How much compost do I need (? cubic yds per ? square ft.) Any tips from guys that do this alot.....

FdLLawnMan
02-06-2009, 12:23 AM
You can figure it out. If you have an 8000 Sq. Ft. yard and apply 1/2 inch of compost, forget the sand, compost is better, you will need 12 cubic yards of material. Your spreader is not going to get it done. As for the rest of your questions, I have no idea as I deal with cool season lawns.

TC Lawns
02-06-2009, 12:27 AM
what do you recommend spreading it with?

TC Lawns
02-06-2009, 01:00 AM
is it too early now (feb.) to topdress? Someone said that it could damage the lawn?

dennys-lawn
02-06-2009, 01:49 AM
Only top dress when turf is actively growing. We only use coarse yellow sand for top dressing. Get it from local concrete company. We only add soil amendments if customer has a problem growing desired grass. If you can find or rent a top dresser machine would make application a lot easier. If you need any more pointers send me an e-mail: dennyslc@bellsouth.net