PDA

View Full Version : pre emergents in Arkansas

ArTurf
02-05-2009, 09:38 PM
Which pre-emergents do you like and what is thier pos/neg points? I am located in south Arkansas so please respond if you are in my zone or similar area.

ted putnam
02-05-2009, 10:30 PM
Which pre-emergents do you like and what is thier pos/neg points? I am located in south Arkansas so please respond if you are in my zone or similar area.

*Pendimethalin 3.3EC Positive> does a pretty good job of controlling crabgrass along with a pretty broad spectrum of broadleaf weeds. Stays in suspension well. Negative> Nasty smell. Staining can be a problem. Have to be extremely careful around fences and light colored siding. Very difficult to clean stained materials.

*Prodiamine Positive> does a pretty good job of controlling crabgrass and some other broadleaf and grassy weeds. Almost no problem with staining. Very little odor.Extensive time frame for pre-emergence activity. Negative> not as broad a spectrum of broadleaf control. Need continuous good agitation to remain in suspension.

*Dithiopyr. I have not used this one so I cannot comment from experience other than to say that it is supposed to be able to kill young crabgrass up to like the 3 leaf stage making it ideal to use on late new sales with crabgrass that has already germinated.

Think Green
02-06-2009, 08:55 PM
Ditto those answers ArTurf!
I apply split apps. The fall, I use Pendimethalin starting around mid September for us. It all depends on the amount of rainfall and temps..Pre-m does have a longer list of control than does the Barricade.
Besides the problems of having Poa Annua; Crabgrass is our eternal nightmare. OOPS!, let me not forget about Dallisgrass.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<.

MRMelton
02-06-2009, 09:44 PM
I've had really good luck with the Pre-M aqua cap. Doesn't stain or smell like the regular Pre-M. Has anybody had any negative experiences with this?

ted putnam
02-06-2009, 10:09 PM
I've had really good luck with the Pre-M aqua cap. Doesn't stain or smell like the regular Pre-M. Has anybody had any negative experiences with this?

It may have just been my imagination but it seemed like if I had any travel time between stops(15-20 min) that it settled in my hose. In other words On my first pass with the hose after drive time the first 40-50 ft seemed light colored then the liquid returned to normal. I didn't like that...maybe my mind was playing tricks on me. I have heard that if it is tracked where it is not wanted and there is enough pressure in the steps to cause catastrophic failure of the microencapsulated portion, there can be some serious staining on carpets and floors.

ArTurf
02-06-2009, 10:37 PM
How about Gallery? According to U of A studies it is rated exellent on broadleafs and suggested mixing it with a grass oriented pre-merg.