PDA

View Full Version : Revenge on bad clients

DFW Area Landscaper
02-06-2009, 10:31 AM
Sometimes, clients make me so angry that I want to take revenge. It's not sane, I know, but sometimes they complain or cancel with that attitude...it just ruins your day if you let it.

And I'll be the first to admit, I've screamed at clients, yelled at them, told them to find another lawn guy and one I even to told "F***-you and don't you ever call me again." You know the type, the ones who talk down to you, insist on a better deal than everyone else...just regular PITA's that know exactly how to P*** you off.

They can get you riled up, that's for sure.

So anyway, another landscaper in my area, I have lunch with him every so often...he says if they make him too mad, he has, in the past, sprayed round-up on their lawn.

Last spring, a lady called in to order our fert program. She had a bunch of dead areas in her lawn. I asked her if she had a lot of shade. No. Finally, I just told her "I didn't know, but it could have been vandalism. Did you have a lawn guy last year that you didn't pay or something? I'm just throwing out ideas."

As it turns out, and I found this out long after this conversation, she lived right down the street from that landscaper I mentioned earlier and she was his former client.

I'll betcha when I mentioned vandalism, something clicked in her head.

So she made him mad. He took revenge. Now, she probably thinks very lowly of him.

We're only human. And I suspect a lot of landscapers struggle with this issue. Obviously, I struggle with it as does my friend, who I now think did this. But I realize, he's my friend, and I don't look down on him for this. I've come very close to doing things like myself in the past lots of times, although I've never actually pulled the trigger.

So, anyway, there's a whole list of clients and former clients that I'd enjoy shooting, or otherwise taking revenge. My problem, up until this morning, has been, if I take revenge, I run the risk of getting caught. What if it ended up in the paper (I have a pretty large business with a lot of brand-name recognition nowadays) and I could get thrown in jail for doing something stupid.

So anyway, this morning, I came across THE PERFECT plan to screw someone over. And there'd be NO WAY to EVER get caught.

But you know what the problem is with that? The poor guy who I'm getting my revenge with doesn't know I'm the one who did it! So, he'd have this bad thing happen in his life, but would it make me feel any better, knowing that he'll never know I'm the one responsible? I really don't think so.

All in all, taking revenge without saying your the one who did it is pretty cowardly, isn't it?

At the end of the day, I think our only option is to just deal with the clients who try to ruin your day as best you can. And be a better man for it.

DLAWNS
02-06-2009, 10:45 AM
Dude, I've had two people bankrupt me in my first two years of business. You don't know how badly I wanted to mess with them. But I think that is what separates the professionals. As much as I want to screw with them, I'm not going to risk my name for someone who isn't worth sh*t. They'll get theirs someday.

larryinalabama
02-06-2009, 10:51 AM
DFW just calm down and have a BEER or 2. No job or business is perfect and revenge will wind up hurting you a whole lot more than the person you do whatever to.

ALC-GregH
02-06-2009, 11:16 AM
Well at this point, you've already incriminated yourself. You really should watch what you say on forums as well.
This would be a solid argument in court.

there's a whole list of clients and former clients that I'd enjoy shooting
So anyway, this morning, I came across THE PERFECT plan to screw someone over. And there'd be NO WAY to EVER get caught.

Tyler7692
02-06-2009, 11:30 AM
Quit wasting time and energy screwin with the idiots and use it to advance you business. Its called moving on.

JS Landscaping
02-06-2009, 12:20 PM
I have been there before too with clients that pissed you off, had one who sued me even though he was the one who defualted the contract that was signed. Took a depost on a job for a small wall. Very small job that would only take 2 days to complete at the most. Schedueled delivery of the block, as the truck pulls up to deliver he comes out and says I can not have them deliver today becuase im gettin the driveway seal coated. So the truck is turned around and sent back to the yard and I was charged for a delivery fee. Happend 2 more times for 2 more bogus reasons, and the delivery charges added up to his total depost, plus my time lost and my scheduel being screwed up repeatedly as well as jobs I lost waiting to get this job done because I was booked out for the remainder of the year. I ended up telling him to find someone else to do it because I was done playing games on when I could do this wall and that his deposit covered my expenses of the 3 delievery fee's. He wants the deposit back, and ends up sueing me. I ended up loosing in court which I think was BS even though I had everything documented and receipts. Seem that this client was a long time citezen of the town and was in with the Judge. Being only 20 at the time vs. a 60 year old didnt help either. I felt the want for revenge but I realized what goes around comes around, he will get his own some day. Its better to keep your head held high with dignity and just brush it off and keep on going.

MLI
02-06-2009, 01:39 PM
You have to stay professional....period! If not....your no better than the rest of the wild animals out there. People piss me off on a regular basis, but if your in business,ya have to have thick skin. That being said....here's an ole trick I heard of many years ago. Call up your local gravel yard, and order a ten wheeler full of clay(wet HEAVY...did I mention HEAVY)fill. Go pay cash at the yard and have it delivered to dead beats driveway(right in front of garage doors).

stevenf
02-06-2009, 01:56 PM
I have always had a "independant" attitude toward my customers. I dont display it in anyway untill they cause trouble! When someone causes to much trouble, I will drop them in a heart beat. When I drop them, I am able to do it in an cocky way that lets them know I dont give a flying F#%^. I love my sleep at night!

Green Finger
02-06-2009, 02:25 PM
Dude, I've had two people bankrupt me in my first two years of business. You don't know how badly I wanted to mess with them. But I think that is what separates the professionals. As much as I want to screw with them, I'm not going to risk my name for someone who isn't worth sh*t. They'll get theirs someday.

OK

he's right. Been there got the T-Shirt. Don't take it personal:nono:

Cross Cut
02-06-2009, 02:31 PM
................Karma

AdamChrap
02-06-2009, 02:31 PM
It amazes me how so many people don't think about how anybody can read what they post here. No offense to you man I am sure you were just venting but this stuff is on the net forever and you can never get rid of it. Your specific posts will even show up in google searches!

stevenf
02-06-2009, 02:45 PM
Karma also says that bad things will happen to you if you do bad things. Doesnt Mr. Karma has a rule book that allows you to do the bad thing in return without it hurting you?

S man
02-06-2009, 02:52 PM
what if your "bad" clients found this page. then if you did something you'd be screwed for sure.

stevenf
02-06-2009, 03:42 PM
How are things in Kenner? Picking up yet?

DFW Area Landscaper
02-06-2009, 04:02 PM
++++what if your "bad" clients found this page. then if you did something you'd be screwed for sure.++++

I haven't done anything to any of them in the way of revenge. Either I yelled and screamed at them, which I'll admit is unprofessional, or they got away with being bad clients.

The point of the post is that getting revenge is pointless.

Either you get caught and look foolish or you don't get caught, in which case, the bad client has something bad happen but he has no idea you're the one who caused his misfortune.

How does that help you feel any better, if he doesn't realize it was you? It's not like you are teaching this guy a lesson. He knows he was bad to you but then some random bad thing happens to him...if he doesn't connect the dots and realize it was you, how can he learn a "lesson" from that? If he does connect the dots, he might find out where you live and bad things start happening to you too.

Just deal with them and move on and try not to let them ruin your day. That's really all you can do, isn't it?

Sweet Tater
02-06-2009, 04:07 PM
I dont really know what to say to this thread, I beleive this is the most childish thing I have ever heard of, do your job as well as you cn, if they are not happy let them go, if they owe you money there are ways to get it legaly. revenge is just plain cowardly and childish.

grassman177
02-06-2009, 06:16 PM
i can admit i have thought of a few things like that, but never went very far as i am not a vindictive type and that is just wrong. part ways and never look back

SimonCX
02-06-2009, 06:31 PM
i can admit i have thought of a few things like that, but never went very far as i am not a vindictive type and that is just wrong. part ways and never look back

I feel the same way, walk away and don't look back. In every business you will run into scum, you can't take it personally or you will go crazy.

FYS777
02-06-2009, 07:18 PM
I have to agree this was not very smart, I do have to go back and ask was the agreement for service plane and clear or was there a misunderstand on what needed to be done. ?? Plus guys that get mad and scream at customers like that bad bad, not good, I just hope its not a small town.:nono::nono: