PDA

View Full Version : help with walk way

flxinxj
02-06-2009, 12:50 PM
I have a concrete side walk and porch on the front of my house and was thinking of stamped concrete, pavers and then thought what if i layed flagstone over the side walk and then filled the cracks in with concrete. could I glue the flagstone with constriction adhesive, and would I have a problem with water getting under neath and cracking the flagstone. was just trying to find way to mack the side walk look better with out spending alot of money. Its very stained and old looking. any help would be great.

Another Question is how to build a flagstone mail box. Do you build the inside with cinder block and then glue the flagstone to the block then fill in crack with concrete?

STL Ponds and Waterfalls
02-06-2009, 02:16 PM
Set the flagstone in a mortar bed Type S mortar than grout the joints with the same type mortar. You can do the mailbox in the same manner.

2low4NH
02-11-2009, 10:09 PM
you could go over the top of the concrete with a stone dust base and set ur flag in that but the mortar is much better. i would not recommend glue on any stone.

tatmkr
02-12-2009, 08:37 AM
I always use polymeric sand in my flagstone joints, it's easier to maintain than cracking mortar.

2low4NH
02-12-2009, 11:07 AM
poly sand works as long as your not setting in a mortar base bedding. you also need poly sand made for stone. regular poly will not hold in anything over 1/4 inch joints

EliteScapes
02-21-2009, 11:52 AM
Hmm.. Good point with the Poly sand for the joints, as you stated you would need to use poly sand designed for larger joints. Basically larger particles.

Would you do this with a wet lay?? We usually mortar all joints however cracking is always in question..

2low4NH
02-21-2009, 01:19 PM
i wouldnt do it poly sand would allow water to collect in any voids left under the stone. if you are in a climate that allows freezing it will pop the stone

Bru75
02-21-2009, 03:18 PM
Definitely mortar. Poly sand doesn't work over mortar & concrete.