PDA

View Full Version : Insurance

yourmove
02-06-2009, 02:41 PM
Just wondering what other may conclude to be a normal increase in liability insurance for fert/squirt coverage?

I am teetering with the idea of getting into this area in my first year but not sure if I might be better off waiting one more season so that I may be better prepared.

thanks.

mngrassguy
02-06-2009, 04:46 PM
If your questioning whether your prepared or not, your probably not. We need to know a lot more about you and your business to give any good specific advise. Good luck with what ever you decide to do.

Check with your insurance agent on the insurance question. Every policy and situation is different.

Are you certified for pesticides? That would be a good place to start.

yourmove
02-06-2009, 05:00 PM
Currently my business is in lawn care. . . .I am looking at my application for my pesticide exam and wondering if I should mail it.

I have studied, I am ready for the exam.

I am evaluating, however, if my being in my first owner/operator year, I should spend a chunk or perhaps wait another year.

Would you hazard to guess that an increase in liability to be significant for pest coverage.

Perfect Image TLM
02-06-2009, 05:17 PM
My insurance company knows that I started fertilizing because I called and told them. It didn't increase my coverage at all, and Dept of Ag. in my state excepted my insurance policy for the license.

humble1
02-06-2009, 05:33 PM
For MA you cant get the actual license without proof of insurance, I had to have my agent fill out and stamp my renewal. There shouldnt be much of an increase on your contractor liability if you are only doing 2%(for example) of your buisness in lawn fert w/ control products. The insurance co exposure is very little versus someone who does it 100% of the time. Good luck!

yourmove
02-06-2009, 05:40 PM
Nice, thank you.

I am aware that I need proof of insurance before they will issue the license in MA. I am glad to hear that the increase in insurance is minimal. I guess that my lessening of motivation would have been greater had there been a large expense.

Suppose I'll just get it out of the way.

mngrassguy
02-06-2009, 06:19 PM
My insurance company knows that I started fertilizing because I called and told them. It didn't increase my coverage at all, and Dept of Ag. in my state excepted my insurance policy for the license.

Same here. There was no increase but I've read on here that some companies won't write for pesticide use.

LIBERTYLANDSCAPING
02-06-2009, 07:23 PM
It probably varies by state, but my policy is CHEAP! 2 Mil. coverage includes pest spillage in transport, liability for mowing, snowplowing, salting, (full service coverage) etc. etc. Equipment is insured also. Cost is a little more than ~1k a year. I wish everything was as reasonable as insurance cost:)

PM me if you want my insurance co. name & info:usflag:

Whitey4
02-06-2009, 07:40 PM
I have to pay an association fee (125) as a "farmer" to get a decent rate on mow and blow insurance. Adding pesticides was another 150, for a total of about $1040/yr for operation as a sole proprietor (no employees)

DA Quality Lawn & YS
02-06-2009, 11:48 PM
I was covered mow/blow only last yr (sole prop) for about $135.00. Since I will be getting into fert/squirts this season, I will have to change companies and coverage is looking to go up to around $365.

The reason I am changing ins. companies is that the one I am currently with does not offer comprehensive coverage for spray liability. They had a $1,000 coverage sublimit for property under my care, custody, and control (i.e. the property I am spraying). $1,000, are you kidding, if I had to renovate a lawn due to my mistake, that wouldn't even cover 50 square feet.

So guys, be careful of what you get for fert/squirt coverage, and make sure you are truly covered up to your policy limits (sublimits are naughty:(

humble1
02-06-2009, 11:55 PM
if I had to renovate a lawn due to my mistake, that wouldn't even cover 50 square feet.

So guys, be careful of what you get for fert/squirt coverage, and make sure you are truly covered up to your policy limits (sublimits are naughty:([/QUOTE]

I was told that they wont cover you for "Gross negligence" so if i put round up in a tank and shoot a lawn with that roundup its all me.

mngrassguy
02-07-2009, 01:15 AM
Worse thing that could happen would be a major spill. I think the ACRRA fund would cover that but I'm not sure.

DA Quality Lawn & YS
02-07-2009, 03:49 PM
if I had to renovate a lawn due to my mistake, that wouldn't even cover 50 square feet.

So guys, be careful of what you get for fert/squirt coverage, and make sure you are truly covered up to your policy limits (sublimits are naughty:(

I was told that they wont cover you for "Gross negligence" so if i put round up in a tank and shoot a lawn with that roundup its all me.[/QUOTE]

If you aren't covered when making an application 'mistake' (not purposeful or willful intent), then what the heck are you covered for? Bodily injury to passersby is a big one....but jeez I would want coverage for mistakes too. Why pay big money to an ins. company when they aren't covering you for much of substance?

TexasTurfgrass
02-08-2009, 08:21 PM
It probably varies by state, but my policy is CHEAP! 2 Mil. coverage includes pest spillage in transport, liability for mowing, snowplowing, salting, (full service coverage) etc. etc. Equipment is insured also. Cost is a little more than ~1k a year. I wish everything was as reasonable as insurance cost:)

PM me if you want my insurance co. name & info:usflag:
LibertyLandscaping,

I tried to PM, but for some reason I am not able to. Will you PM with the name of the company?

Thanks,
Mark

LIBERTYLANDSCAPING
02-08-2009, 09:42 PM
LibertyLandscaping,

I tried to PM, but for some reason I am not able to. Will you PM with the name of the company?

Thanks,
Mark

You don't have enough post's yet to be able to use PM system. Here it is...:usflag:

Matt J. Drummelsmith
Commercial Account Executive
M.F.P. Insurance Agency, Inc.
7607 Green Meadows Drive
Lewis Center, OH 43035
(740)549-6712
(740)549-6778 (fax)
www.mfpinsure.com

TexasTurfgrass
02-08-2009, 09:48 PM
Great. Thanks for the information.

Mark

humble1
02-15-2009, 09:36 PM
I was told that they wont cover you for "Gross negligence" so if i put round up in a tank and shoot a lawn with that roundup its all me.

If you aren't covered when making an application 'mistake' (not purposeful or willful intent), then what the heck are you covered for? Bodily injury to passersby is a big one....but jeez I would want coverage for mistakes too. Why pay big money to an ins. company when they aren't covering you for much of substance?[/QUOTE]

Im covered for spills, or if i sprayed you in the face as you were walking around the corner, killing your dog, backing into you etc. Tank mix gone bad, my agent said is gross negligence and they wont cover it.