PDA

View Full Version : A few of our recent projects

vtscaper
02-06-2009, 07:43 PM
After a couple years of reading posts and being entertained by the ongoing dialogues with Rusk I thought i'd post some of our work. As you'll see we mostly use natural stone. Give some feedback, criticism, whatever.

Bru75
02-06-2009, 08:33 PM
Good lookin' work, I like it.

cgll1135
02-06-2009, 08:38 PM
you do good work.

CertPro
02-06-2009, 09:24 PM
Very nice! Looks clean

AztlanLC
02-07-2009, 01:18 AM
Looks nice, when I build steps like those I like to use either large stones next to like you did on some of the or use some type of decorative stone on the edge rather the mulch.
If I don't do it it's constant maintenance every time it rain, mulch all over the walk and steps.
I like the last picture a lot it blend so nice with the steps

02DURAMAX
02-07-2009, 03:12 AM
Very Nice Work!

vtscaper
02-09-2009, 10:46 PM
Looks nice, when I build steps like those I like to use either large stones next to like you did on some of the or use some type of decorative stone on the edge rather the mulch.
If I don't do it it's constant maintenance every time it rain, mulch all over the walk and steps.
I like the last picture a lot it blend so nice with the steps

Thanks for the feedback. Never usually a problem with the mulch, all of the steps are always pitching to the front for drainage so when it rains any debris follows suit. However I do like to use large river rock or similar along the steps as well, can clean things up a bit and give a different look.

Maxwell Landscaping
02-10-2009, 12:40 AM
That looks very nice, I can't wait till sring comes here, and we can get on with it.

zedosix
02-10-2009, 08:27 AM
I love natural stone, your work looks pretty nice too! My only comment would be the last picture you show with the bottom step near 8" or so and a few of the middle ones are a bit shallow. It looks a bit unfinsihed also with a bunch of steps leading nowhere. Nice cutting on your bluestone walkway btw.

Lite4
02-10-2009, 11:47 AM
nice looking stonework.

vtscaper
02-10-2009, 06:33 PM
I love natural stone, your work looks pretty nice too! My only comment would be the last picture you show with the bottom step near 8" or so and a few of the middle ones are a bit shallow. It looks a bit unfinsihed also with a bunch of steps leading nowhere. Nice cutting on your bluestone walkway btw.

Thanks. Yeah, I have to admit I wasn't really happy with the way it felt to walk up or down this staircase. Aside from the trip step at the bottom the run is too short for the shallow rise and makes for an awkward descent/ascent. Unless your a midget you really just end up skipping steps.

Going down it does provide access to a lower patio, however from the angle in the pic it looks a bit odd where the last tread at the top ends.

Here is a view the other way.

zedosix
02-10-2009, 06:37 PM
Ya, looks better that way, I'm just jealous cause some of you guys are still workin!

vtscaper
02-26-2009, 09:19 AM
Ya, looks better that way, I'm just jealous cause some of you guys are still workin!

Zedo I didnt mean to mislead you. I live in northern VT and am currently under about 4' of snow. Those "recent" pics are from end of the season. So dont feel too bad, spring is coming into view.

zedosix
02-26-2009, 09:42 AM
Zedo I didnt mean to mislead you. I live in northern VT and am currently under about 4' of snow. Those "recent" pics are from end of the season. So dont feel too bad, spring is coming into view.

I guess I feel better now.:) When does your season typically start?

vtscaper
02-26-2009, 09:55 PM
We start scheduling maintenance work for April 1 and Installations May 15. This can swing either way depending on the weather. There have been years that we had massive snow storms in early April. They melt quick but it sure will set things back.

Something else we pay attention to is shade. We have shown up to start excavation on a job well into May and hit frost a few inches down.

Anyway, we are starting to get ready. The first trade show we do is next weekend and after that its a pretty slippery slope right into the bustle of spring.

How about you, I imagine your a couple weeks behind us eh?

zedosix
02-26-2009, 10:39 PM
Typical start up time for install is April 15th to 20th. Last couple of years were April 18th. I have something on the go this year that may get us going even earlier.:canadaflag:

B & B Yardscape
02-27-2009, 12:54 PM

This is my latest project. I was thinking the same thing as Zedosix that you were lucky to be doing work like that.

We have had a couple days of melting and rain, and I'm ready to get rolling. Have to keep reminding myself that I have at least 1.5 months yet of snow.

Lawnworks
02-27-2009, 06:49 PM
I really like your "stone tile" work... looks pretty cool. Your flagstone patio almost looks to nice for the house! Did you use polymeric sand on that one? Do you get raped on those stone steps? My "stone store" want $50 per natural stone step... is that about what you pay?

Hokie84
02-28-2009, 03:08 PM
VT,
Nice work. Thanks for posting the pictures.

I am looking at a project right now that I would like to include a set of natural stone steppers, much like what you have pictured. This will be my first attempt at stone steppers into a bank.

Do you excavate and put down compacted base like you would for segmented retaining wall? What is the best way to construct this type of natural stone steppers?

Thanks for any construction tips

vtscaper
02-28-2009, 10:30 PM
I really like your "stone tile" work... looks pretty cool. Your flagstone patio almost looks to nice for the house! Did you use polymeric sand on that one? Do you get raped on those stone steps? My "stone store" want $50 per natural stone step... is that about what you pay?

Thanks man.

We never use poly when dry laying flagstone. Aside from having the proper base the weight of the stones keep them from moving. On this style patio we don't use the saw too much and if we do the cuts get chiseled. This gives a nice natural look. In this application the joints ARE tight but you still have up to 1/4 sometimes 1/2 inch gap. Poly isn't really designed for this type of application.

If I could buy slabs like that for $50 I would be a very happy camper. That particular material is a bluestone from Pennsylvania and my cost is around $25 a square foot. The step set portion of that project was around $3500.

vtscaper
02-28-2009, 10:52 PM
VT,
Nice work. Thanks for posting the pictures.

I am looking at a project right now that I would like to include a set of natural stone steppers, much like what you have pictured. This will be my first attempt at stone steppers into a bank.

Do you excavate and put down compacted base like you would for segmented retaining wall? What is the best way to construct this type of natural stone steppers?

Thanks for any construction tips

Thanks Hokie

If your project is similar to the one in my pic in terms of access and obstacle than you will be fine with a decent size loader (We set those with a CAT 257b) and a set of forks. If its a tight space or their is a sharp turn etc then you can use an excavator with straps or chains.Their are a few schools of thought on base prep for large steps like this. MANY people who build these will essentially excavate steps into the hillside. Lay the bottom step, add crush behind bringing grade up to previously set step, then lay another so on and so forth. WE dig a 24" deep trench up the slope. compact 6" lifts using 1.5" clean stone then set the first step and use 1" minus to come up to previously laid step. The thing is unless your on clay or their is a river underfoot steps of this size arent going anywhere. There a steps around here that were built the old school way by joe excavator that have never budged in fifty years. However I have always looked at prep like a relatively small but very important part of most hardscape projects. Why not just do it right or even over do it a little just to be sure.

Be sure to have a set of long iron bars, that the stairs pitch slightly forward and a strong back (even with equipment you'll still be wrestling with them).

Goog luck

riverwalklandscaping
03-07-2009, 01:37 PM
Hello from another burlingtonian. Looks like vermont national in those pics? Stone from clearys? I agree with the trench method, but maybe 18inches. Also IF they are on clay? lol I cant seem to ever find work that the soil is not all clay around here.

M&N Maintenance
03-08-2009, 04:22 PM
looks great!!