PDA

View Full Version : 2009 renewals out

tlg
02-06-2009, 09:39 PM
Our renewals went out last week. Response so far has been normal. We are taking in about 2k a day on residential work prepays. Commercial work is it's usual slow prepay pace. Cancels so far are normal with normal reasons. Only have had a few so far that were " economy related ". Up sells are really lagging so far with limited response. It's a little early to tell how it will pan out though. Has anybody else sent out their renewals? How's your response been so far?

rcreech
02-06-2009, 09:46 PM
Mine should hit around Wednesday or Thursday and I think I am going to be really lucky as it is supposed to be in the 40's and 50's this week!

Hopefully it will put everyone in a good mood and they will prepay!

Never been this warm in February that I remember! Dang global warming is real man!

AmGreen
02-06-2009, 10:02 PM
Mabye I should get mine out quick - we should be in the 70's next week:laugh:

ted putnam
02-06-2009, 10:30 PM
Our renewals went out last week. Response so far has been normal. We are taking in about 2k a day on residential work prepays. Commercial work is it's usual slow prepay pace. Cancels so far are normal with normal reasons. Only have had a few so far that were " economy related ". Up sells are really lagging so far with limited response. It's a little early to tell how it will pan out though. Has anybody else sent out their renewals? How's your response been so far?

Mine have been out over a month results are similar to yours. Upsells, what upsells, no upsells here and I pushed some on a couple of services. No bites. Nobody wants anything extra. People are going to be tight this year...

elite lawns
02-07-2009, 01:32 AM
i sent my out last week so far so good

mngrassguy
02-07-2009, 01:42 AM
Mine go out on Monday. Keeping my fingers crossed.:weightlifter:

LawnTamer
02-07-2009, 04:46 AM
I got mine out 2 weeks ago, so far it has been very slow. Some of this might be because we had so many prepay last fall, but there are a lot of people who typically prepay in the spring, that I haven't heard from yet. I have my fingers crossed.

Lawnmasters
02-07-2009, 08:48 AM
We sent our first letter out middle of Jan with an offer for a free lime application if they would prepay by feb. 10. That boosted the amount of prepays a fair amount. also we sent prepay letters to those who normally just pay per app and picked up a few of those. We are sending another letter this week to those who didn't send in by the 10th offering an extension if they will pay by feb28. Has been better than I thought so far.

grass4gas
02-07-2009, 07:48 PM
How many of you actually have a signed contract? Just curios because I never have in the 17 years I've been in business. I am a small solo operation and that is the primary reason for not needing or using signed contracts. I can understand using contracts in landscape, hardscape, etc. installs, but not for fert apps. JMHO

I send out renewals the end of January and have had a few cancels. I do offer a 7% discount for pre pay, but don't offer it to everyone. I don't want half my clients paying up front, because I spend it to quick.

Jack

mngrassguy
02-08-2009, 06:58 PM
It's the law here

grassman177
02-08-2009, 07:20 PM
we have had ours done and signed for more than amonth and a half. here, if you are just starting you are too late now. the competition has been out hard to get more wokr for a couple of weeks. we have only a handful of old accounts that have been hard to reach to sign up yet. we have some new ones statrting to trickle in now.

turf hokie
02-08-2009, 08:06 PM
It's the law here

Same here, and they check.

What is the point in sending out a renewal if you dont expect to get a signed copy back??

ted putnam
02-08-2009, 10:00 PM

What is the point in sending out a renewal if you dont expect to get a signed copy back??

Like grass4gas, I do not have my customers sign a contract. It is not the law here and I guess I deal with the "good faith" system as do 99% of the fert and squirt companies here. It works out well for the most part and I have maybe 1 or 2 per year that "work the system". I don't send out a renewal letter, I send out a prepay discount letter and I only do that because I have some that prefer to pay for the year in advance. If I offer a discount to one, I feel it is only fair to offer it to all. Therefore, everyone gets the letter . I also inform them that the service is continuous and if they wish to cancel to please contact me. It works out very well for me and I see no reason to change until the state tells me I have to. JMO

tlg
02-08-2009, 11:18 PM

We don't expect our customers to contact us to renew their service. There service is automatically renewed each season unless they tell us otherwise. The point of the renewal letter is to get prepays. Over 70% of our customers take advantage of this offer. It would be a real problem starting each new season with no customers ( expecting all of your customer base to respond and reorder their service would be impossible and a nightmare). Getting one check from our individual customers for all their yearly service really cuts down on office labor too.

mngrassguy
02-08-2009, 11:19 PM
Like grass4gas, I do not have my customers sign a contract. It is not the law here and I guess I deal with the "good faith" system as do 99% of the fert and squirt companies here. It works out well for the most part and I have maybe 1 or 2 per year that "work the system". I don't send out a renewal letter, I send out a prepay discount letter and I only do that because I have some that prefer to pay for the year in advance. If I offer a discount to one, I feel it is only fair to offer it to all. Therefore, everyone gets the letter . I also inform them that the service is continuous and if they wish to cancel to please contact me. It works out very well for me and I see no reason to change until the state tells me I have to. JMO

You must not have one of those big "National Companies" in your area that "forced" the state of Minnesota into passing laws against auto-renewals.

It's actually better here now with contracts. No more "dirty tricks".

ted putnam
02-08-2009, 11:40 PM
You must not have one of those big "National Companies" in your area that "forced" the state of Minnesota into passing laws against auto-renewals.

It's actually better here now with contracts. No more "dirty tricks".

Actually, we do have the National companies here...and they do pull some dirty tricks. However, they spend more time in trouble with the state for other reasons. Unmarked concentrates on trucks, leaky trucks all over parking lots, no licensed personnel(including management) employed by the branch for extended periods of time....and the list goes on.

ted putnam
02-08-2009, 11:45 PM
We don't expect our customers to contact us to renew their service. There service is automatically renewed each season unless they tell us otherwise. The point of the renewal letter is to get prepays. Over 70% of our customers take advantage of this offer. It would be a real problem starting each new season with no customers ( expecting all of your customer base to respond and reorder their service would be impossible and a nightmare). Getting one check from our individual customers for all their yearly service really cuts down on office labor too.

Absolutely, what a nightmare it would be...I don't have 70% prepay...more like 15% but that's OK. Steady cash flow through the year.

mngrassguy
02-09-2009, 01:01 AM
Actually, we do have the National companies here...and they do pull some dirty tricks. However, they spend more time in trouble with the state for other reasons. Unmarked concentrates on trucks, leaky trucks all over parking lots, no licensed personnel(including management) employed by the branch for extended periods of time....and the list goes on.

Wow your lucky. We don't see ANYTHING that bad around here. Mostly "tech" infractions.

1.2.3. green
02-09-2009, 01:10 AM
how many of you actually have a signed contract? Just curios because i never have in the 17 years i've been in business. I am a small solo operation and that is the primary reason for not needing or using signed contracts. I can understand using contracts in landscape, hardscape, etc. Installs, but not for fert apps. Jmho

i send out renewals the end of january and have had a few cancels. I do offer a 7% discount for pre pay, but don't offer it to everyone. I don't want half my clients paying up front, because i spend it to quick.

Jack
i am the same way i also am solo have no contracts. Most people like the idea of not being bound including myself ,they become a problem i walk , same for them but so far not one problem.

mngrassguy
02-09-2009, 02:19 AM
i am the same way i also am solo have no contracts. Most people like the idea of not being bound including myself ,they become a problem i walk , same for them but so far not one problem.

Very true.

First, we don't call them contracts but agreements.
Second, we include a cancel clause.

"Agreement can be canceled by either party with a 30 days notice."

Agreements are difficult to enforce anyways 'cause if the customer doesn't think I'm doing a good job, they don't pay. If they don't pay, I stop service. Either way, I lose a customer.

The good part is we both know what to expect and it stops the big nationals from scamming customers.

ted putnam
02-09-2009, 09:08 AM
Very true.

First, we don't call them contracts but agreements.
Second, we include a cancel clause.

"Agreement can be canceled by either party with a 30 days notice."

Agreements are difficult to enforce anyways 'cause if the customer doesn't think I'm doing a good job, they don't pay. If they don't pay, I stop service. Either way, I lose a customer.

The good part is we both know what to expect and it stops the big nationals from scamming customers.

Makes perfect sense. I'm just glad I don't have the added headache.

garydale
02-09-2009, 09:56 AM
We are very pleased with renewals and somewhat surprised.
Probably a dozen cancels, 8-10 reduced applications and 20 more prepays.

1.2.3. green
02-09-2009, 12:01 PM
We are very pleased with renewals and somewhat surprised.
Probably a dozen cancels, 8-10 reduced applications and 20 more prepays.
OF THOSE 12+ CANCELS HOW MANY COULD YOU POSSIBLY HAVE CONTINUED SERVICING IF YOU HAD JUST SHOWED UP AS NORMAL FOR THE FIRST APP.?:confused:

LIBERTYLANDSCAPING
02-09-2009, 12:28 PM
I'm afraid to know what we will have. Our area Elkhart, IN has the HIGHEST unemployment rate in the USA (15%+):cry: Barrack Hussien is here today trying to tout his porkulous package...

garydale
02-11-2009, 12:07 PM
1.2.3. Green,
You must have a TG back ground.
I let my clients come and go which keeps them coming back and referring their friends.

1.2.3. green
02-11-2009, 12:36 PM
1.2.3. Green,
you must have a tg back ground.
I let my clients come and go which keeps them coming back and referring their friends.

why would your clients come and go? I,m just saying if you catch your customer at a bad time they may discontinue the service vs. Going on as planned.plus i dont want any of my customers just up and stop their service then call me 2 years later when their lawn is full of weeds and bare spots.i have no problems with any of my customers,they expect me to continue the following year, if not its a simple phone call.

ted putnam
02-11-2009, 07:01 PM
why would your clients come and go? I,m just saying if you catch your customer at a bad time they may discontinue the service vs. Going on as planned.plus i dont want any of my customers just up and stop their service then call me 2 years later when their lawn is full of weeds and bare spots.i have no problems with any of my customers,they expect me to continue the following year, if not its a simple phone call.

Agreed, but I think it is only "right" to make sure they realize and UNDERSTAND that the service is continuous. In my opinion, you do that each year through a letter or a phone call with a letter being the preferred method.( In my case, hundreds of phone calls) JMO

turf hokie
02-11-2009, 08:11 PM
Agreed, but I think it is only "right" to make sure they realize and UNDERSTAND that the service is continuous. In my opinion, you do that each year through a letter or a phone call with a letter being the preferred method.( In my case, hundreds of phone calls) JMO

I agree Ted, if I dont confirm they want my service again, I assume that they do not, I would rather miss an app than take the chance on not getting paid for what we did do.

Trust me around here if we just show up and assume they knew the contract was continued and they did not want to continue, I lose.

KACYDS
02-11-2009, 08:48 PM
When I send out my last bill for the year, I send a small note, stating -" If you want to continue the same service for 2009, please initial and return". Most people return the note. Dont do this if you plan on raising their prices, though.

For the people who dont return it, or for people who I raise the price, I send out another letter in Mid January.

tlg
02-11-2009, 09:21 PM

With a large number of customers a phone call is not so simple. If your lucky enough to actually talk to a customer on your first attempt calling it would be a miracle. A lot of customers don't like to call in and cancel. Most of our cancels come back in writing on their renewal. A renewal letter is nothing more than a reminder that our customers service is continuous, that we will be out soon and if there is any change in their service they should CALL US. The renewal letter also offers a prepay discount and up sells all of our other services. If your not marketing extra services each season your really missing out on new income IMO. If a customer is going to cancel they are going to cancel no mater what your timing is good or bad.

LawnTamer
02-11-2009, 09:38 PM
With a large number of customers a phone call is not so simple. If your lucky enough to actually talk to a customer on your first attempt calling it would be a miracle. A lot of customers don't like to call in and cancel. Most of our cancels come back in writing on their renewal. A renewal letter is nothing more than a reminder that our customers service is continuous, that we will be out soon and if there is any change in their service they should CALL US. The renewal letter also offers a prepay discount and up sells all of our other services. If your not marketing extra services each season your really missing out on new income IMO. If a customer is going to cancel they are going to cancel no mater what your timing is good or bad.

That is how we do it.

garydale
02-12-2009, 08:50 AM
Hey Guys,
Where are you trying to go with this?
I simply said that thus far we have had about 20 clients call and stop service.
That is out of 500+ lawn accounts.
They all know their service is contineous unless they cancel it and that is what they call to tell us. We thank them and tell them we will be here if they need anything.
In this economy I am tickled to death.

RigglePLC
02-12-2009, 10:05 AM
We use continuous service and reminder letters. (I learned at TruGreen). So far 20 cancels--about half mentioned economic reasons. Prepayments have been just fine--even with last year.

Italysfinest327
02-19-2009, 08:19 PM
Hello all, im in my second year of applying pesticides and am still getting my feet wet. I have all the licensing for ny state but did not have any contracts in my first year of applying. ( i know its the law, carelessness on my part).. anyways i was wondering if anyone would mind sharing a copy of their contract. Ive gone to the dec's site and they have a template for a standard contract but i think seeing an actual contract would help me out more. Thanks in advance

AmGreen
02-24-2009, 10:25 PM
Hello all, im in my second year of applying pesticides and am still getting my feet wet. I have all the licensing for ny state but did not have any contracts in my first year of applying. ( i know its the law, carelessness on my part).. anyways i was wondering if anyone would mind sharing a copy of their contract. Ive gone to the dec's site and they have a template for a standard contract but i think seeing an actual contract would help me out more. Thanks in advance

may want to start a new thread...

elite lawns
02-25-2009, 01:15 AM
A month later and i'm at a 68% return i will start calling the rest Friday. If no answer by march i'll just show and start cutiing