PDA

View Full Version : Dock Lighting

kemmer
02-07-2009, 02:03 AM
Im interested in doing some dock lighting. The dock intersects a small sandy beach approx. 20-25ft deep. The dock will have a hand rail on one side with downlighting. I was also considering some under dock lights to illuminate the water underneath. The whole dock would be removable due to ice. The transformer would be on land and i figured id run the wires out to the dock under the sand and to the dock to the lights. Every winter id coil up the wires and leave them on shore.

My question is. is it alright if the wires are occasionally partially submerged?

Also do you have any good site recommendations for post mounted downlight as well as the possibility of under dock lighting?

Thanks

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
02-07-2009, 08:32 AM
A few things for you to ponder.

1: All your wiring needs to be type SJOW or similar... Check your prices before you quote the job.
2: I wouldn't 'install' the wiring into the sand no matter how much you paid me. I would attach it to the dock structure and then use appropriate connectors at all the joints of the dock to facilitate its seasonal removal and re-installation.
3: Around here, lighting the surface of the water, or underwater lighting is frowned upon by our Ministry of the Environment and Department of Fisheries and Oceans. It negatively and un-naturally affects the environment of aquatic life. Check with your local, state and federal regulators before doing this.
4: Make sure you use glare free fixtures. Unshielded lighting on land can be a navigation nightmare to those on the water. Never use colour lenses for any fixtures located on docks or shorelines.
5: There are many quality postlights on the market for the rail, but few are made in Stainless Steel. The Nightscaping Postliter is available in Stainless Steel, is very attractive, simple and effective. WM-3535-SS
6: While you are looking at the Stainless Steel Postliter, check out the only dark sky friendly dock light on the market. The Nightscaping INTEGRA-Liter. GD-0402-BR.

Hope this helps.
(I have installed lighting systems on more than a few docks :) )

kemmer
02-12-2009, 01:36 PM
do you have any pictures of the docks that you have done? including installation pictures?