PDA

View Full Version : Ewing rebate

FIMCO-MEISTER
02-07-2009, 08:46 AM
Trying to decide how to spend my Ewing bucks. I'm thinking upgrading my IPhone to the 3G. I also have a 100RB bucks to spend. Those I think I'll buy 1804SAMS or rotators to convert my home system.

hoskm01
02-07-2009, 08:57 AM
I love the Ewing cards. Spend em anywhere.

Im likin the Iphone more everytime I see them adverted on TV. When is the Monopoly up with ATT?

FIMCO-MEISTER
02-07-2009, 09:11 AM
I love the Ewing cards. Spend em anywhere.

Im likin the Iphone more everytime I see them adverted on TV. When is the Monopoly up with ATT?

It is bound to happen. Here is the latest. They have ATT in FC.

http://www.appletell.com/apple/comment/will-the-iphone-ever-make-it-to-other-carriers-it-better/

hoskm01
02-07-2009, 09:31 AM
They do. Word on the street is that it blows like a diesel 185. So ive heard. Not worth 400 bones for me to test on my own. Yet.

Waterit
02-09-2009, 10:07 PM
Trying to decide how to spend my Ewing bucks. I'm thinking upgrading my IPhone to the 3G. I also have a 100RB bucks to spend. Those I think I'll buy 1804SAMS or rotators to convert my home system.

I used my RB Bucks on a case of DV-100's. Was planning to use my Ewing kickback for an RM, but blew it on hookers and liquor.

ARGOS
02-09-2009, 10:34 PM
blew it on hookers and liquor.

At least you didn't blow it on a remote. Money well spent.

mitchgo
02-09-2009, 11:53 PM
but blew it on hookers and liquor.

Family Guy Quote

Man #1: [Lois and Peter are watching a Sam Adams commercial on TV] I'll have water, please.
Man #2: I'll have water too, but with lemon, please.
Man #3: I'll have a Sam Adams, please
Man #4: but It's 9:30 in the morning!'
Man #1: And don't you have an outstanding DUI?
Man #3: Yeah, but I gotta get the taste of weed and hooker spit out of my mouth.
Man #4: [pause] I'll have a Sam Adams as well.
Sam Adams: Samuel Adams! Always a good decision!

JimLewis
02-10-2009, 02:07 AM
I love the Ewing Rewards. They got a good program. I hardly spend anything at Ewing each year (compared to what I spend with my main supplier) and still they always send me the Amex gift card and the RB Bucks. I got a $200 gift card this year. Which ain't much but for how little I spent there, it's awesome! I took the fam. out to a couple of nice dinners on that.

I only got like $20.00 in RB bucks this year, which doesn't surprise me. Like I said, I barely shop there at all. But still they send me stuff - that's what's so cool.

If my current supplier didn't have them beat in the rewards Dept. I would definitely be with Ewing. But I get free trips every year from my current place so I don't plan on going anywhere.

JimLewis
02-10-2009, 02:09 AM
Sam Adams: Samuel Adams! Always a good decision!

You talking about Sam Adams, Portland Oregon's first openly gay mayor who lied about having an affair with his 18 year old intern and then after he was elected finally admitted to it??? That Sam Adams???? :confused:

Or the beer?

Wet_Boots
02-10-2009, 08:44 AM
I think your local Sam Adams is more entertaining.

JimLewis
02-10-2009, 12:56 PM
Yah, if you like a good joke.....

Mike Leary
02-10-2009, 01:30 PM
(compared to what I spend with my main supplier)

Who do you deal with, Jim? I know United and Fowler are there; are Horizon and JDL there also?

BSME
02-10-2009, 01:59 PM
Yah, if you like a good joke.....

Jim

saw you in Irrigation and Green today... how'd you get discovered?

JimLewis
02-10-2009, 05:33 PM
Who do you deal with, Jim? I know United and Fowler are there; are Horizon and JDL there also?

Yah, we're with United Pipe. The rewards program they have is by far the best for our area. Your company can spend $50K-$100K per year in supplies and easily make it to their first class trip to Mexico or Hawaii at the end of the year. To qualify for that same trip with JDL, I'd have to spend around $300K per year. UP's rewards are just a lot more generous. And if you're using RB products, it's REALLY good. All the others in our area (JDL, Ewing, Horizon) are allied with Hunter. And they're not even shy about it. It finally became very evident to me that if I was going to be a RB guy, then UP was the place to be. Fowler only has one small, out-of-the-way branch here. They really aren't much of a player.

I like the others. Ewing is great. Horizon is just okay. JDL is okay. They are trying really hard to get me over to them. But I'm not going anywhere as long as UP keeps treating me this good.

JimLewis
02-10-2009, 05:43 PM
Jim

saw you in Irrigation and Green today... how'd you get discovered?

Now I haven't seen that article yet. You might have to send me a copy of that. I did get interview by a magazine a month or two ago about an upcoming article they were doing on "easy-to-install irrigation systems." I think that was the magazine. I was a little unhappy with the title of the article because I disagree with the notion that irrigation is just something any landscape or mowing company can just jump into "easily." And the guy writing the article obviously had no clue how irrigation went together so I had to educate him a lot on just the basic components of a system; backflow, valves, etc. and the various types that are used in different parts of the country. I think mostly what he was after was, "what sort of tricks or parts can make irrigation a lot easier?" And again, I was like, "Well, there isn't much. It's hard work. I mean, there are little gadgets that the manufacturers make in an effort to make thing easier. Things like swing joints and pre-made valve manifolds and heads with the nozzles already installed. But I don't really see much value in those things as far as making it any easier to install a system. Most of those things sound good on paper but don't really accomplish much in reality."

So it was a weird interview. The tone finally changed to questions like, "So what types of things should a new contractor just coming into the industry know about irrigation?" And then I finally felt he was asking some good questions. So I answered that question with a lot of examples of things that new contractors should know and that became more of the tone of the interview he had with me.

I left my referring him to my RB rep. in terms of getting info. about 'supposed' time-saving products that make irrigation easier. But I haven't seen the article so I have no idea how all this turned out. In previous articles I've been in, they often misquote me a lot and/or attribute things I didn't even say to me. That's frustrating. But I'd love to see the article. I couldn't find it online on their website.

As for how they find me, it's the web usually. Our website comes up for all sorts of search terms on the internet. So they always find me that way. I get a decent amount of local press each year (TV, local newspapers) because our website is so prominent. I am not the biggest landscaper in Portland, by a longshot. But I seem to have created one of the more prominent websites. So that often works to my advantage in stuff like this.

BSME
02-10-2009, 05:49 PM
Let me know if that issue doesn't pop up online and I'll mail you my copy.

You hit the nail on the head. It was a terrible article (it obviously wasn't your fault though). It was basically an article on how anyone can install their own systems and you don't need to hire a sub if you read this article...

JimLewis
02-10-2009, 05:51 PM
'Course you may be referring to the article on their website about Synthetic Turf. I had a small mention in there. That was something they interviewed me for almost a year ago. I don't even remember the interview. But they must have called me over the phone after finding our website again. We have a nice page on our website for synthetic turf too. So if that's the article you were referring to, that's how that happened.

I always take free press if someone calls. My office manager knows I love that stuff. Aside from feeding the ego a little bit, it is nice to use articles to your advantage. I have a few local articles posted on our website in different areas now, as they help lend credibility to our company.

JimLewis
02-10-2009, 05:55 PM
Let me know if that issue doesn't pop up online and I'll mail you my copy.

You hit the nail on the head. It was a terrible article (it obviously wasn't your fault though). It was basically an article on how anyone can install their own systems and you don't need to hire a sub if you read this article...

Yah, I'll watch for it. Their website must be still showing last month's magazine. Because I just spent 10 minutes looking at the issue that's on their site now and that article wasn't in there.

That's funny how he continued with that theme. I was really cautioning him against that and was hoping he'd change the title or theme of the article because, like I said, irrigation isn't something that's easy to jump into like that. It's probably one of the more difficult things for landscapers to grasp and become good at. I still see LOTS of crappy systems every week, as I am sure all of you do here on lawnsite. We have all seen the evidence of guys who "thought" they knew irrigation but really had no clue. And the last thing I want to do is be a part of encouraging that. So that bums me a little.

BSME
02-10-2009, 06:09 PM
Yea it's February's issue called "Basics of Irrigation"

I actually didn't finish reading it because it was so uninteresting.

Even if you find it let me know if you want a hard copy for the shop or something.

Wet_Boots
02-10-2009, 06:31 PM
When they call me, I'll tell them all about Lawn Belt.

JimLewis
02-10-2009, 06:37 PM
What is lawn belt? Sounds like something from a lawnsite infomercial.

payup

Wet_Boots
02-10-2009, 06:44 PM
It's DIY crapola product. Makes Orbit look good.