PDA

View Full Version : Industrial/Right of Way weed control..??

LIBERTYLANDSCAPING
02-07-2009, 10:08 AM
One topic I never see brought up on here is right of way/industrial weed control. Anybody doing it? In Indiana it requires a cat 6 lic. I use mine for parking lots & riprap areas around shopping center ponds. Seems like most companies I see doing right of way are specialized in it.
Industrial weed control seems like it could be an untapped goldmine, but how to get into it????

Ric
02-07-2009, 10:35 AM
http://www.dbiservices.com/deangelobrothersinc/

Liberty

DeAngelo Bros. of Hazleton Pa. are the largest Road & Right A Way contractors that I know of. Use "DeAngelo" as a search word to find past threads about Right A Way spraying. There was a very good thread about a year ago with several people adding good input. Chemical Mowing of Right A way was discuss along with weed control. Growth Regulator for road side trees that only ******ed growth on the road side was also talked about.

Yes I have a Right A Way cert and have done some work. However My big plan to sell the county Chemical mowing was shot down by short sighted Government wage slaves who didn't want to save the county money.

Ric
02-07-2009, 10:41 AM
BTW Industrial weed control is a viable market. Every gravel parking lot and storage yard is a target market. However with Roundup at every Hardware and big box store, many places do it themselves. Adding Pre emerge for longer control and (in the South) Ant Control, you can hit this market.

LIBERTYLANDSCAPING
02-07-2009, 10:44 AM
Ric,
DeAngelo seems to rule the industrial weed control world-at least with big national contracts, like railroad... I'm wondering about the forgotton ditches, dry retention areas, rip rap areas etc, on private land. Seems like there are a LOT of overgrown areas such as that in my area, problem is, it is hard to find out who owns, or better yet, who is in charge of managing these?

Ric
02-07-2009, 11:07 AM
Liberty

I am always looking for that un-touched Market. Unfortunately I have looked at those areas with little or no success. NEED and DEMAND are in fact two separate entity. Yes there is NEED but it appears there is very little DEMAND. Here in the Tropical Flat Land we have many retention ponds right beside Commercial buildings in prime commercial areas. Rather than spray them in Rainy Season they are allowed to become over grown. Then in the winter dry months they are mowed down. The New Super Wally World has a large one that stays full year round. While it is behind a Chain Link Fence and the bank is half way treated there is about an acre of Turtle, Snake Pit that doesn't seem to concern them. While the Regional office for Wally world is only 10 miles or less from my house I didn't approach them. I don't want to Missionary Sell them to only be low balled on state wide work.

greendoctor
02-07-2009, 02:41 PM
BTW Industrial weed control is a viable market. Every gravel parking lot and storage yard is a target market. However with Roundup at every Hardware and big box store, many places do it themselves. Adding Pre emerge for longer control and (in the South) Ant Control, you can hit this market.

Every joker with a weedeater and a hand can filled with RoundUp thinks he is an IVM pro. Where that ends is when the area being managed by that program is overtaken by noxious vines and brush resistant to glyphosate. The chemicals that work in that situation are sold only to certified applicators.

Ric
02-07-2009, 03:50 PM
Every joker with a weedeater and a hand can filled with RoundUp thinks he is an IVM pro. Where that ends is when the area being managed by that program is overtaken by noxious vines and brush resistant to glyphosate. The chemicals that work in that situation are sold only to certified applicators.

Green

You must not have a Tractor Supply in your area. You would be surprised at what they sell to the public.

greendoctor
02-07-2009, 03:59 PM
I do not have a TSC or a Lesco/JDL here in Hawaii. That fine print on most herbicide labels about sale to, storage and usage by persons other than certified applicators is enforced by the DOA, starting at the point of sale. UAP and the two other fertilizer vendors do not want to see anyone other than certified applicators at their counters. Chemicals like Hyvar, Krovar and Velpar are listed as RUP here as well.

Ric
02-07-2009, 04:09 PM
I do not have a TSC or a Lesco/JDL here in Hawaii. That fine print on most herbicide labels about sale to, storage and usage by persons other than certified applicators is enforced by the DOA, starting at the point of sale. UAP and the two other fertilizer vendors do not want to see anyone other than certified applicators at their counters. Chemicals like Hyvar, Krovar and Velpar are listed as RUP here as well.

Green

Yep Tractor Supply carries those chemicals right on the shelve also.

LIBERTYLANDSCAPING
02-07-2009, 04:24 PM
Green

You must not have a Tractor Supply in your area. You would be surprised at what they sell to the public.

I was thinking the same thing, Ric. Lesco, TSC, most others will sell to anyone that has money. Most of those chems can be bought without an RUP label. OOPS, sorry, I killed your trees:laugh::hammerhead:

greendoctor
02-07-2009, 04:47 PM
OOPS, sorry, I killed your trees:laugh::hammerhead:

http://www.nationmaster.com/encyclopedia/Treaty-Oak

Guess I should not be surprised that happened either. Velpar L is sold over the counter in many states to be used to spot kill unwanted trees and brush in pastures. Pronone Power Pellets is another product that used to be popular here until the DOA restriction on hexazinone took place in 2007.

Ric
02-07-2009, 04:52 PM
I was thinking the same thing, Ric. Lesco, TSC, most others will sell to anyone that has money. Most of those chems can be bought without an RUP label. OOPS, sorry, I killed your trees:laugh::hammerhead:

Liberty

I got the story.

Last spring a customer on mine with a 2 acre landscaped lot went to Tractor Supply complaining he had to spray Roundup too often. The clerk sold him Pramitol and he sprayed all his planter beds, 50 year old trees and all with it.

BTW the new landscape design has been approved but won't be installed until after this years summer rainy season.

LIBERTYLANDSCAPING
02-07-2009, 04:57 PM
Liberty

I got the story.

Last spring a customer on mine with a 2 acre landscaped lot went to Tractor Supply complaining he had to spray Roundup too often. The clerk sold him Pramitol and he sprayed all his planter beds, 50 year old trees and all with it.

BTW the new landscape design has been approved but won't be installed until after this years summer rainy season.

............Exactly!

greendoctor
02-07-2009, 05:04 PM
Anyone selling pesticides intended for commercial/ag use or RUP must be licensed by the DOA in Hawaii. Even when the bare ground/tree killer type products were not RUP, accidents like that were a rarity.