PDA

View Full Version : lighting large driveways

Infinity Landscapes, Inc
02-07-2009, 12:26 PM
I'm doing a demo for a client with a large driveway maybee 20' wide and 200+ feet long. She had a company line everything with commercialy large pathlights that got trashed over the years. She would light to light it up But I do not want the runway look. She said she would like it bright. My thoughts were to triangleulate with spot lights hidden among rocks to protect them. I have used the turtle light but not to found of them. I will post pics next week of this mess i'm trying to light up.
Thanks,
Light on

Tomwilllight
02-07-2009, 12:38 PM
Do you have a snow removal problem in Tigard OR? Are there any trees along the drive?

Tom

Lite4
02-07-2009, 05:29 PM
Not a lot of snow in the Portland area. But I am wondering about any existing large trees flanking the driveway for downlighting opportunities.

Tomwilllight
02-07-2009, 07:28 PM
Yep, I would sure consider using tree-based down light. Keep those lights out of the way of lawn mowers and string trimers. I've often done lighted driveways with downlight and my clients love the look. Of course, your limitation is where and how big the existing trees are.

Tom

Infinity Landscapes, Inc
02-07-2009, 10:32 PM
I have tried to talk them into trees along the driveway but they do not want that. Hopefully When I get the pics up you will have a few ideas. What are your thoughts on cross lighting low to the drivewat like spot lights. Has any one done this. You should see the current lights from all the maintenance damage

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
02-07-2009, 11:15 PM
If there are currently no trees lining the driveway then don't worry about the downlighting option. Nothing the client would plant would be tall enough or thick enough to do nice, effective downlighting out of. The guys are talking about 'moon lighting', and you need to get up 24+ feet to make it look really nice. Tree mounted downlights in nursery stock / saplings always looks contrived in my opinion.

As for cross lighting the drive the way you describe. I have done this on a couple of sections of paths and it has worked well for those applications, but I am not so sure it would be effective on a wide driveway that is several hundred feet long. You would need dozens of fixtures and it could result in a very glare filled view for those driving the cars or walking. Even if glare could be completely controlled, you would end up with a long section of staggered cross lights.... too much repetition can be a bad thing.

Photos sure will help!

Regards

Eden Lights
02-07-2009, 11:45 PM
No downlighting, then tell them to make sure their head lights work on the car.

BrandonV
02-08-2009, 10:08 AM
If there are currently no trees lining the driveway then don't worry about the downlighting option. Nothing the client would plant would be tall enough or thick enough to do nice, effective downlighting out of. The guys are talking about 'moon lighting', and you need to get up 24+ feet to make it look really nice. Tree mounted downlights in nursery stock / saplings always looks contrived in my opinion.

As for cross lighting the drive the way you describe. I have done this on a couple of sections of paths and it has worked well for those applications, but I am not so sure it would be effective on a wide driveway that is several hundred feet long. You would need dozens of fixtures and it could result in a very glare filled view for those driving the cars or walking. Even if glare could be completely controlled, you would end up with a long section of staggered cross lights.... too much repetition can be a bad thing.

Photos sure will help!

Regards

sounds like it's time to bring in some bigger trees:weightlifter: It sounds like your option of trying to wash the dive with dim flood strategically hidden is going to be the best option if you want to avoid that runway look. But if she wants the runway look go all out and sequence those suckers.

Infinity Landscapes, Inc
02-09-2009, 09:15 PM
well here is some pics of the demo and the driveway. I plan on lighting the trees at the entrance but they are stuck on path light all around the driveway and house. This is a 2 acre property and the want to replace all the bell lights and add some up lights. I will let you know what the results are if I get the job.any thoughts?
Thanks

Lite4
02-09-2009, 09:47 PM
Lovin the Nightscaping huge freakin bells, just dealt with some of those in Dec.

That is an awfully nice disectum maple in the driveway. Place some uplights in the interior of that canopy and watch the red leaves glow.

I wouldn't even mess with the driveway. It just looks silly with all those lights there.

Infinity Landscapes, Inc
02-09-2009, 10:00 PM
my thoughts as well The big bells were custum made she said the welded the post on it and then the dropped them in a 4" pvc sleve and poured concreate around the base of each one. Ihope I get this job:)

Infinity Landscapes, Inc
02-09-2009, 10:03 PM
How many lights should I put around the maple 3-4? How close would you put them near the trunk. If I get the job then I have to find out where the put the sleive for the irragation so I can get the wires in.
Thanks

MAGLIGHTING
02-09-2009, 10:45 PM
Infinity you are asking the wrong crowd. Ask your client. That is the purpose of the demo, to display different effects and to get a feel for what the client likes and doesn't. If there was any question of 3 or 4 lights it should have been resolved at the demo and decided by your client at that time.

I would only go into a demo with an owner knowing/assuming that I already had the project and that it was just a matter of working out their personal preferences in order to design a project to suit their needs and budget.

I and others can sit here and tell you not to put path lights in the lawn next to the driveway. You can go back and educate the client that it's not the best way of doing things. Bottom line is the client will either go along with the advice or they won't.

Then you are faced with a choice if they don't. You can become the tempermental starving ar teest and refuse to do as the client wishes or you can give them what they want, make them happy and create someone who will champion your cause and refer to you work.

I recommend the latter especially if you are just starting out. Not every job will be a showcase. Not every client will go your way. But you will get your share and much needed experience along the way. Once you are established and can financially afford to, You can exercise the right to read em the my way or the highway act. Good luck.