PDA

View Full Version : criticizing National Lawn companies

americanlawn
02-07-2009, 04:39 PM
Seems TruGreen is criticized most, but many TruGreen locations do a fine job. I'm wondering why Scotts Lawn Care has not been criticized?? Overpriced + buying a name = pay more with no difference. My 2 cents worth

Josh.S
02-07-2009, 04:50 PM
Seems TruGreen is criticized most, but many TruGreen locations do a fine job. I'm wondering why Scotts Lawn Care has not been criticized?? Overpriced + buying a name = pay more with no difference. My 2 cents worth

I can't speak for everybody, but my local TruGreen does a terrible job. They "hang paper", ghost, the whole 9 yards.

Although there is a Scotts Lawn Care that owns this area, they are almost none existent (most their account aren't around here) so therefor I don't have anything to say about them.

$.02

LIBERTYLANDSCAPING
02-07-2009, 04:55 PM
In my area, Scotts does a OK job. A little overpriced? Who is to say? As long as you DO what you say you will, it is up to the customer to decide what is overpriced. TGCL does not do such a good job in my area. (an understatement) It's good for my business, so I can't complain. BTW-We have some local lawn care companies that do a piss poor job as well:waving:

LawnTamer
02-07-2009, 05:00 PM
Scotts here does OK, to be honest, most TGCL guys do too. I have never seen or heard of a Scotts applicator doing a "splash and dash" or ghosting, they don't try to keep coming after service has been canceled, not that I have heard of at least. Those are the things that bug me most about TGCL. I would catagorize Scotts program as average, same as TGCLs, maybe the difference is in the emphasis TGCL puts on production, forcing their guys to run around like they are on meth.

ted putnam
02-07-2009, 05:02 PM

I think one reason(not the only one) is TG is a large target. I am amazed with them here. They cover the entire state of Arkansas from one branch in Little Rock. I can always tell from one year to the next whether they've gotten a new tech in my area without ever seeing the service truck.Some years the lawns look decent and some years they are terrible. I never criticize their work in front of a customer. If the customer says something negative, I smile and tell them I can fix that in no time or its nothing we can't handle. Scotts just got started here in the last 2-3 yrs. They haven't been here long enough to build very much of a reputation (good or bad).

grassman177
02-07-2009, 05:05 PM
they both do crap ass work here. easy to pick up their customers!

americanlawn
02-07-2009, 05:11 PM
Our local Scotts Lawn Care treats nearly every property with Permagreen ride-ons. From 2000 sq ft to larger properties. I see those guys taking more time blowing off granules than actually treating the property. They have damaged desired plant material (shrubs, flowers, etc). We are beginning to pick up Scotts lawn customers because of this. Plus -- we charge less. Wondering if they are going the same route as TruGreen?

Ric
02-07-2009, 05:19 PM
Yo

My area both Scotts and TG/CL are rip off artists. But what bugs me is the training they give their employees. Maybe I should say the lack of actual Green Industry training while at the same time the unscrupulous Sales training. There is a guy in my town who worked for such a company that is no longer in business and in fact sold out the service master group. His sales tactics are border line fraud and his work is horrable. But he manages to smooze most customers into keeping him by offering a free treatment. Of course he has to depend on heavy advertising like TV and radio as well as print to keep a customer base. I am sure if you ask him, he will tell you TG/CL does a fine job since they are in fact 10 times better than him. Of course his prices are also in line with the El Cheapo Cheapo price of TG/CL. Scott's prices are higher but they only have 19 yr old techs Who once again don't know the work from a hole in the ground. Seems to me this type of attitude and training really give the industry a bad name.

Whitey4
02-07-2009, 05:26 PM
Scotts doesn't have near the market share that Trugreen has here. Frankly, the LCO's seem to have at least 80% of the residential market. Most customers seem to prefer to have one stop shopping, one bill for mowing and apps. The customers that I have for apps only, mow their own lawns, but ask me to do the pruning and whatnot.

The LCO's in most cases don't do a very good job either, so it isn't just the big outfits. The LCO's seem to use poor quality ferts and controls. At least that's what I think based on their results. There are some good outfits out there, but not many of them.

Trugreen gets a lot of heat when customers try to cancel. I've heard some really nasty stories about that. Borderline threats sort of thing... aggressive to say the least.

Ric
02-07-2009, 05:38 PM
Scotts doesn't have near the market share that Trugreen has here. Frankly, the LCO's seem to have at least 80% of the residential market. Most customers seem to prefer to have one stop shopping, one bill for mowing and apps. The customers that I have for apps only, mow their own lawns, but ask me to do the pruning and whatnot.

The LCO's in most cases don't do a very good job either, so it isn't just the big outfits. The LCO's seem to use poor quality ferts and controls. At least that's what I think based on their results. There are some good outfits out there, but not many of them.

Trugreen gets a lot of heat when customers try to cancel. I've heard some really nasty stories about that. Borderline threats sort of thing... aggressive to say the least.

Whitey

Seems to be SOP for TG/CL to keep bugging past customer to come back. I know a guy that had his attorney send a certified letter to TG/CL to stop calling him. In the mean time I won't take back a customer more than one time and then only if they were good customers with good reason to stop service. No reason to deal with a unstable or unhappy customer.

greendoctor
02-07-2009, 05:51 PM

That is the same story in my case as well. I would have more business if I mowed, but I do not want to go there because I would cost a lot more than an LCO and the time it takes. As is, I make a comfortable living doing applications only, with some shrub pruning for select clients. No hedge trimming.

Hissing Cobra
02-07-2009, 06:18 PM
I used to work for The Lawn Company of Cape Cod, which was privately owned and had 3 locations that included Dennis, Massachusetts, Sagamore Beach, Massachusetts, and Weymouth, Massachusetts. We had over 80 employees (many with 5-20 years with the company), 80% share of the Cape Cod Market and 90% customer retention.

Then Scotts bought our owner out and it was all over. They've since run it into the ground. Within 2 years of the buyout, there were only 5 of the original 80+ original employees left and customer retention went into the crapper. All of the new hires were young kids who were sent out to "do production" and didn't have a clue of what they were doing.

I quit during this time, just like everyone else and haven't looked back. Many of my old co-workers have started their own businesses or went to work for other companies in the same line of work. They're now gaining tons of new customers that are defecting from Scotts. It's simple to figure out why as Scotts provides shoddy work, service, and most importantly, results. This is also apparent as to why they've closed their Sagamore Beach location, which was the largest of the 3 branches.

Hissing Cobra
02-07-2009, 06:25 PM
Double Post. Sorry!

Whitey4
02-07-2009, 06:25 PM
That is the same story in my case as well. I would have more business if I mowed, but I do not want to go there because I would cost a lot more than an LCO and the time it takes. As is, I make a comfortable living doing applications only, with some shrub pruning for select clients. No hedge trimming.

I hope to reach that point, but I'm going into year 2 now, and have the capacity and need the billings, so I mow. The silver lining is I have toatal control, with the exception of the irrigation schedule which I can only suggest, not control. I also get planting installs and get more bed designs this way, which is a lot of fun to do.

Ric
02-07-2009, 06:34 PM
YO

TG/CL has been in business for a much longer time than Scott's application business. Only goes to reason they would have more customers. Just the name Scotts has been branded for many years in the fertilizer industry. I think Scotts franchisees have an advantage with name recognition

rcreech
02-07-2009, 08:40 PM
TG is a joke here...but Scotts actaully does a very good job!

I have told people that if they didn't go with my service to call Scotts as they were actually a company that would do them a good job and use good product!

I do like that their prices are higher...as if I am giving someone an estimate that has been using Scotts...I know I can add about $5-10/app? :laugh:

jbturf
02-07-2009, 08:55 PM
isnt it a little odd seeing the scotts truck loading up at lesco in the am

jspray
02-07-2009, 09:46 PM
It's all Trugreen here and they do a sorry job--easy to get their work and a lot of it falls into our laps.

As a general statement homeowners can be very aggravating at times and we just as soon do commercial work and let them have each other.

a plus bob
02-07-2009, 09:50 PM
tru green sprays 30 mph wind pouring rain 6 inch of leaf cover.15 ft passes running through yds.tech drove through neighborhood near my shop 3-4 xs a day for two days only have 3 lawns in there guess he was lost.scotts is new to my area will have to wait and see.I started in the buisness with chemlawn,back in 1988 kind of sad to see it now!

MStine315
02-07-2009, 11:21 PM
I think a big part of it is tele-marketing, too. Here Scotts markets through the mail vs. TGCL which uses the phone. It's a lot easier for people to throw away junk mail than to put up with someone on the phone, esp. when they're already a customer.

Tommy Boy
02-07-2009, 11:30 PM
From a Previous Post - TruGreen or any National Chain, I will seek the customer out and try everything I can to take the business. They give us all a bad rep. I know there are some really good tech's who try hard, but the number on accounts they servce is crazy.

The "Biggies" Give a rat ass less about the smaller owner operators, they are machines who depend on new customers, and forget about keeping the customer until they cancel, them the "Managers" get involved. Great marketing plan guys, so if we see your signs, the account is mine!

I’ll bash TruGreen, I have a standing policy, if you see a TruGreen Application Sign, stop and make a personal introduction, I even have a flyer made up how to cancel service.

Here’s the approach… I was driving by and I see that TruGreen is your lawn care service provider. I’m ____________________ with ___________________ we service several of your neighbors yards., do you have a minute to walk your property with me? I will show you the problems you have with their level of service and your should call them back and have them fix the problems: Point out all weeds and explain how you deal with the specific weed or grass.

Give them a card and thank them for their time. Explain that you will stop by or answer any questions they have concerning lawn care. No hard sell, no pressure, then tell them that if they are paying more than: _________________ Your price per application, they are paying too much. Thank them again and leave.

See how long it takes before they call you back…. We get about 10 customers per round this way. I will never take this approach with local owner / operator outfits, but if your a national chain you are fair game!