PDA

View Full Version : Hypro D50 Problem

KACYDS
02-07-2009, 05:20 PM
Hopefully someone can shed some light..........

Just rebuilt a D50, with new diaphragms, o-rings, and Accumulator diaphragm.

Used it all this week and noticed yesterday that the pressure gauge is not staying steady. It is rapidly going back and forth between 100 & 200 psi. Also noticed that there is more vibration from the pump.

It continues to spray fine, doesn't seem to lose any pressure at the tip of the gun.

I'm thinking that one or more of the check values might be bad. Also the oil in the sight glass is still clean. Not milky.

Before I tear it apart, AGAIN, I was wondering if anyone has had this problem before or has any input.

Thanks, Kris

Ric
02-07-2009, 05:23 PM
KACYDS

Did you replace the surge suppressor and add the proper PSI of air pressure???

greendoctor
02-07-2009, 05:23 PM
Did you charge the accumulator chamber with air after reassembly? I think the air charge is 20% of operating pressure. The tire valve on the top makes working on these pumps a snap.

KACYDS
02-07-2009, 05:30 PM
Ric,

If you talking about the diaphragm under the red top, yes I did change that.

Ric & greendoctor,

I did put 40 psi in it. Rechecked yesterday and there was still 40 psi in it.

Any other suggestions?

greendoctor
02-07-2009, 05:37 PM
If the intake or discharge valve is hung up or malfunctioning, that will cause pulsation as well. It can be as simple as some trash stuck in the valve.

KACYDS
02-07-2009, 05:42 PM
Thanks for the info.

I will take it apart Monday afternoon, need it for a couple of hours Monday morning. Not to worried about hurting anything. The pump is 23 years old.

Ric
02-07-2009, 05:58 PM
If the intake or discharge valve is hung up or malfunctioning, that will cause pulsation as well. It can be as simple as some trash stuck in the valve.

Green

We are thinking alike. Beside a stuck or slow closing valve, a bad diaphragm can cause the same problem.

KAYDS

While not generally necessary to change with every Diaphragm replacement, I like to at least take the check valves a part and polish the SS surfaces. Because I spray a lot of oxidizing material, I find the check valves do get ruff and leak.

KACYDS
02-07-2009, 06:03 PM
Ric,

Thanks for the good info, I will definitely look into that.

Ric
02-07-2009, 07:14 PM
Ric,

Thanks for the good info, I will definitely look into that.

KACYDS

Be careful taking them out. They will break and can be very hard to get out unless they are taken out each time you change Diaphragms. They are plastic holders with a SS spring and two SS parts the seal together by the spring. The plastic holder comes a part and you can polish them with 400 grit wet dry sand paper. All 4 are identical and just fit in reverse to make the liquid flow one way only. Should you mess up just one, they are sold as replacement group of 4. I keep old working Check valves for that just in case.

RigglePLC
02-08-2009, 11:18 AM
New check valves are not real expensive. I think I paid $11.00 apiece for the valves on my smaller D-252. And they are fairly easy to remove. Check them out and make sure no broken springs or incorrect assembly. If anything is worn--replace it. Make sure no o-ring is pinched or improperly assembled. One failed valve will cause the problem you mentioned as stated above. One other thing--the pressure regulator. If the valve seats here are worn or pitted or have debris caught--pressure will be poor. Look for pits or corrosion damage to the pump houseing itself. If some area has corroded away the o-rings will not seal. Check and replace as needed. Also check your filters and suction side of input

Ric
02-08-2009, 11:26 AM
Riggle

I need to know where you are purchasing Hypro parts, because my suppliers have raised prices big time. Diaphragm kits for a D 30 are $ 85.00 now.

KACYDS
02-08-2009, 03:37 PM
Riggle

I need to know where you are purchasing Hypro parts, because my suppliers have raised prices big time. Diaphragm kits for a D 30 are $ 85.00 now.

Same here, Ric.

I have been purchasing my parts from Sprayer Parts Depot, out of Miami. In December, I paid $97.33 for a D-50 Diaphragm Kit and $31.55 for a Check Valve Assembly.

If anyone knows where parts for a Hypro pump are cheaper, let me know.

greendoctor
02-08-2009, 03:54 PM
Hypro pumps are from Italy. As such, you are a victim of the falling dollar, the parts are not made in America. I am not in any better shape either. When I need parts for my Maruyama or Solo engine drive sprayers it is $$$$$$$$ and a wait for the parts to be shipped from Japan and Germany. I only put my Hypro D30 in service November 2008. I should plan on replacing the wear parts: diaphragms, valves and regulator internals before the end of this year. A friend gave me a nonfunctioning D50 without a gearbox. I am looking at replacing the same parts, then throwing that on my skid mount. A few more GPM would be nice for running my 10 ft boom. Bean and Cat pumps are as rugged as they come, but I priced parts for those pumps.:eek:

RigglePLC
02-08-2009, 10:04 PM
Green,
did you say you had a second D50, but without a gearbox? Hmmm...maybe...you could put a large pulley on it and a small pulley on a 5 horse Honda. Honda top speed about 3600 rpm. Pump speed limit about 550 rpm. You need about a 6 to 1 speed reduction. Good luck! Let us know how it comes out.

greendoctor
02-08-2009, 10:21 PM
Yes I do. My skid is home made and modular. Pump, reel and tank are separate pieces. The engine is a 6.5 GX270 copy.:hammerhead: Should have gone Honda, but I was on a budget. Would rather run this with a Hatz diesel. I understand that the D50 and the D30 use the same gearbox. My D30 is maxed out when I run my 10 ft boom with the green 7.5 Turfjet nozzles. I plan to remove the D30 from the gearbox and put the D50 in its place. That should make running my tree gun more fun as well. The largest orifice I can use on that with a D30 with no loss of pressure is 3.0MM.

KACYDS
02-10-2009, 01:58 PM
Just wanted to update everyone. I took the pump apart, and found a broken spring on one of the check valves.

If I wasn't so cheap, I should have replaced them all when I had the pump apart 2 months ago. :hammerhead::hammerhead:

greendoctor
02-10-2009, 02:46 PM
When it comes to my spraying machines, cheap is a word deleted from my vocabulary. It costs almost $200 to overhaul a D30, $150 to do ether the Maruyama or Solo. However that is small money. If I cannot spray, I end up doing things the most difficult and ineffective way possible, and it snowballs. I refuse to be in that situation. Once a machine is removed from service and dissassembled, wear items get replaced. I do not look at a pump and say, "that part looks ok", only to have it fail next day, week or month and most likely when I am in the middle of a job.

KACYDS
02-10-2009, 02:53 PM
When it comes to my spraying machines, cheap is a word deleted from my vocabulary. It costs almost $200 to overhaul a D30, $150 to do ether the Maruyama or Solo. However that is small money. If I cannot spray, I end up doing things the most difficult and ineffective way possible, and it snowballs. I refuse to be in that situation. Once a machine is removed from service and dissassembled, wear items get replaced. I do not look at a pump and say, "that part looks ok", only to have it fail next day, week or month and most likely when I am in the middle of a job.

I agree, I just need to get away from the saying "If aint broke, dont fix it"

Im glad it happen now, when things are still slow.:laugh:

greendoctor
02-10-2009, 02:59 PM
I first learned this mentality from my Mercedes mechanic, a foul mouthed, beer drinking, cigarette smoking Bavarian. An old Mercedes is cheap to keep and does not cause much drama if, once the car is up on the lift, all of the old parts that have been in service for 20+ years are replaced. It costs more in time, money and aggravation to fix things one at a time as they fail.

brizine
02-10-2009, 10:57 PM
Greendoctor rittenhouse has d30 rebuild kits with new checkvalsves for 123.00

ted putnam
02-10-2009, 11:25 PM

Rittenhouse...Ontario, Canada--------------Greendoctor...Honolulu, Hawaii

I'm sure shipping eats him alive.

greendoctor
02-11-2009, 01:19 AM
Actually Rittenhouse has been my supplier for Teejet parts and ARAG spray guns all these years. They have been more than fair with me. Because I am only ordering parts and not something like an entire skid sprayer. At worst, I got charged $40 for about $300 worth of parts and a tree gun that weighed 3 lbs. Other vendors have been real a-holes about shipping to Hawaii, they calculate based on 30-40% of the monetary value of the order. It seems Rittenhouse does charge a base fee of around $15 for me, then it goes by actual weight. So a box containing a spray gun and some Teejet nozzles will not cost me as much for shipping as the actual goods, and they are sending it UPS Expedited. 1-2 day Air.

That is where I am planning to order from and while I am at it I will also get the GS40 regulator overhaul kit for $22.97 as well. A malfunctioning regulator will either cause the pump to blow up or more commonly, I will have all the output bypassed back into the tank and not going into the gun.