PDA

View Full Version : Permagreen Ultra Upgrades

robertsturf
02-07-2009, 04:45 PM
I have had this machine for 4 years now and even though there are several machines out there that are better this one still has a lot of life in it. Because of that it seems foolish to spend 7K right now when I can get at least 2 more years out of it. I have already added a couple of upgrades to the machine: bigger battery (not pictured, redoing mounting because of reel addition) and a larger gas tank. Both have been on the machine for 2 years and have really helped make it easier to use. This winter I decided to add a couple of more things to it. 1. A 7 gallon tank to give me more carrying capabilities. 2. A hose real from Z-Spray ( Scott in parts was most help-ful with this) this will carry 20-25' of 3/8" spray hose and a spray wand for those hard to reach areas. 3. A larger spray pump added a Flojet 1.8 gpm bypass pump for more reliability. I am going to rebuild the Shurflo on it now and either keep it as a spare or use it to operate the additional spray tank. I took a few pictures as it is a work in progress I will add pictures as I complete and test them out. I appreciate all feedback but remember just because it may look over or under done I am making this to meet OUR needs not yours!! What I have done is carefully thought out each and every aspect of this and what it can achieve for our company and properties. Thanks.:):)

SpreadNSpray
02-07-2009, 06:17 PM
That is NICE. It looks like you keep your equipment well maintained and super clean! Nice job on the upgrades. Can you still get through a 36" gate?

robertsturf
02-07-2009, 10:58 PM
No it's a little wider than 36", I think 40" but I don't have any gates narrower than 42". It's only 2" wider than when I just had the new battery mount on it. I can't wait to try it out. Thanks for noticing the way we keep our equipment. You would be surprised how dirty I see most LCO's keep their stuff.

Captain_Morgan
02-08-2009, 11:12 AM
Thanks for posting your mods. I appreciate seeing how other people are solving the riddles that lead to higher profits.

RigglePLC
02-08-2009, 11:41 AM
Robert's you are amazing. Great upgrades. And that PG Ultra is not old. Mine has about a thousand hours. (My hour meter quit 3 years ago.) I hope the electric start is reliable as it looks like the pull start is obstructed. Does anybody know how to rotate the rope start around so you can pull to the rear? I am surprised that the wireing looks original as it is usually corrosion prone.
Does anybody know how to improve the brakes? Has anybody changed the throttle to a gas pedal? What other improvements would anybody like to see?

robertsturf
02-08-2009, 02:51 PM
The pull start is not a problem and the electric start still works fine! I tested out the pull start yesterday with the tank on with no issues. Also tested the turning radius with now problems either. I still have to plumb it, spray test and paint the brackets with bed-liner paint. It is a SE model and thus far no electrical problems. The machine only has 150 or so hrs! We do mostly maintenance and treat about 600K sq ft. I can usually do those in 3-4 days. I have also thought about changing the throttle position but that is still in the thinking stages as is opening and closing the fertilizer hopper. I was thinking of an electrical actuator. A guy here has one on a Lesco Truckster he has for sale and I am trying to find out were he got it or what kind it is.

pieperlc
02-08-2009, 08:36 PM
Roberts, great upgrades. Where did you get the tank? I was going to get a second tank and set it in the hopper for spray only jobs, but now I'm thinking I like your idea much better. I hate the open/close on the hopper as well.

RigglePLC
02-08-2009, 08:49 PM
Ok Roberts, yours is sweet, but...on mine I carefully painted the big pulley above the tranny with nice gloss black paint. Why would you want to change the spreader opening control? I should point out that I put a new throttle control on the left side handlebar--which frees up my right hand to control the spreader opening and I still can hit the left side spray switch easily, with one finger.

I am thinking about using one red nozzle for a trim system. And maybe move the valve up on top where it is easy to reach as you drive. And figure out a way to prime the pump easier if I accidentally run out. I just bought a paint stirrer that fits my rechargable screw driver--I can give it a little agitation, if I want. I have nozzles inside the tank that give the solution a slow rotation, better than nothing.

robertsturf
02-08-2009, 10:17 PM
Roberts, great upgrades. Where did you get the tank? I was going to get a second tank and set it in the hopper for spray only jobs, but now I'm thinking I like your idea much better. I hate the open/close on the hopper as well.

I got the tank from Dultmiers it is the 7 gallon flat bottom. I still have to plum the suction and discharge lines. Not sure how I will do that. As to the pulley I am going to paint that also but I do keep the covers on it I just took them off to do the brackets and rebuild the gear drive for the impeller. Thinking of upgrading that also.... It never ends. The bad thing about it I'll get it just where I want it and someone will steal it or it will fall off the trailer.:laugh::laugh:

DUSTYCEDAR
02-08-2009, 10:23 PM
i like the tank and the ideas

SpreadNSpray
02-08-2009, 10:29 PM
The bad thing about it I'll get it just where I want it and someone will steal it or it will fall off the trailer.:laugh::laugh:

That isn't funny. I had a brand new Magnum stolen for me last year. I brought my truck to the dealer for repair. I told them if you need it over night, make sure to bring the truck inside... of course they left it out over night...Some thief took the Magnum and the rack! Plus the Magnum had all my prototypes on it.:cry: I'm over it now:laugh:

pieperlc
02-08-2009, 10:37 PM
Ok Roberts, yours is sweet, but...on mine I carefully painted the big pulley above the tranny with nice gloss black paint. Why would you want to change the spreader opening control? I should point out that I put a new throttle control on the left side handlebar--which frees up my right hand to control the spreader opening and I still can hit the left side spray switch easily, with one finger.

I am thinking about using one red nozzle for a trim system. And maybe move the valve up on top where it is easy to reach as you drive. And figure out a way to prime the pump easier if I accidentally run out. I just bought a paint stirrer that fits my rechargable screw driver--I can give it a little agitation, if I want. I have nozzles inside the tank that give the solution a slow rotation, better than nothing.

I would like to move the valves to the top of mine also, but was never sure if it would be worth the work to do it. For a trimming with my machine I just turn off the nozzle closest to the flowerbed. I adjust the nozzles so they spray a little further than to the center of the machine.

robertsturf
02-16-2009, 09:54 PM
Ok I am finally done. Well at least 99% done. I raised the control levers, finished plumbing the new tank and added the hose for the reel and new spray gun. The only thing left for now is the holder for the gun and nozzle. This will be made of 1 1/2" conduit. It will be added to the side of the unit by the reel. Enjoy! BTW I already tested out the new pump and plumbing and now leaks and it worked right the first time. PS I am going to add an actuator from the electric Earthway Spreader to open and close the hopper and move the throttle control to an easier place to use?? I need to field test these improvements first.

pieperlc
02-17-2009, 11:13 AM
Looks great. It's an Ultra on steroids. Did you upgrade the pump, if so what are you using?

robertsturf
02-17-2009, 11:47 AM
Looks great. It's an Ultra on steroids. Did you upgrade the pump, if so what are you using?

Yes I did upgrade the pump. It is a Flo-jet model 2100-907 that I got from Dultmeier. Flow rate is 1.8 gpm and has the Buna/Viton seals. I am going to rebuild the Shurflo pump that was on it for a back-up or ?? I can't wait to test this thing out more!!

Runner
02-17-2009, 01:19 PM
I love that. i am also thinking...Could the hose reel have been mounted straight forward instead of sideways?> This with a pivoting handle would put you through every gate there is.:)

robertsturf
02-17-2009, 02:18 PM
I love that. i am also thinking...Could the hose reel have been mounted straight forward instead of sideways?> This with a pivoting handle would put you through every gate there is.:)

I never thought about the handle pivot. How would I go about making the handle pivot? Is there a place I could buy one? It wouldn,t take much to change the direction of the reel, just make a bracket... OMG more ideas!! :hammerhead::hammerhead:

philk17088
02-17-2009, 06:01 PM
How does that engine handle all the increased weight?

robertsturf
02-17-2009, 07:42 PM
How does that engine handle all the increased weight?

I don't think it will be any issue I very rarely have everything full. I would use the extra tank as a portable nurse tank while out. I don't put more than 2 bags of fert in the hopper at a time. The extra tank holds 7 gal and water weighs 8# per so that's 40# or so plus the reel. I don't really think it will be an issue. If the motor conks I'll replace it with a Honda and go to an electric impeller set up from my truckster spreader. Good thought though.

Runner
02-17-2009, 09:09 PM
Robert...Think along the lines of how a kick starter on a motorcycle works. Or, perhaps, like a handle from a trailer jack. It would fold so when not in use, the whole handle arm would flip 180(end over end), but the arm would be long enough that the handle itself would be over the the hose reel (where the top or bottom of the reel is).
Another idea, would be to have no actual handle, per say....Just put a knob on the face of the reel - like a round knob that turns loosely. Something like a suicide knob for a steering wheel. It could be about 3/4 of the way toward the outside of the radius of the reel. This would give you plenty of leverage for power, and still plenty of a tighter circle for speed. Just some toughts! :)

robertsturf
02-17-2009, 10:00 PM
Robert...Think along the lines of how a kick starter on a motorcycle works. Or, perhaps, like a handle from a trailer jack. It would fold so when not in use, the whole handle arm would flip 180(end over end), but the arm would be long enough that the handle itself would be over the the hose reel (where the top or bottom of the reel is).
Another idea, would be to have no actual handle, per say....Just put a knob on the face of the reel - like a round knob that turns loosely. Something like a suicide knob for a steering wheel. It could be about 3/4 of the way toward the outside of the radius of the reel. This would give you plenty of leverage for power, and still plenty of a tighter circle for speed. Just some toughts! :)

Good idea on both counts, I'll see. BTW the name is Trent, Roberts Turf is based on my last name. I get that a lot.:laugh:

Jason Rose
02-17-2009, 10:18 PM
Looks great! Love the hose reel. I agree would be really nice if it was positioned differently with a fold up handle so you could still go thru 3' gates. but the tank on the other side is already hanging out so it's a moot point for you.

I can hear 'spreadNsprays' gears turning. He was already working on a hose set-up for the magnums, for those of us who are too lazy or un-inventive to come up with our own.

Runner
02-17-2009, 10:56 PM
Oh,..I'd outfit my PG like that in a new York minute if I was prepared to at this time. I think it's just awesome. One thing I would do though, is have the separate tank hooked to it's own pump and nozzle. Could you imagine being able to carry a separate product like Drive for post emerg. crabgrass control? Or have a hard mix later in the season for stuff like ground ivy?
Granted, I carry two trim bottles on my PG...One for my regular tank spray, and one for stuff like Drive (or SedgeHammer). This many times save me a trip from and back to the truck with a backpack. But it would be cool to just keep riding and hit it in one swoop.

robertsturf
02-18-2009, 09:32 AM
Oh,..I'd outfit my PG like that in a new York minute if I was prepared to at this time. I think it's just awesome. One thing I would do though, is have the separate tank hooked to it's own pump and nozzle. Could you imagine being able to carry a separate product like Drive for post emerg. crabgrass control? Or have a hard mix later in the season for stuff like ground ivy?
Granted, I carry two trim bottles on my PG...One for my regular tank spray, and one for stuff like Drive (or SedgeHammer). This many times save me a trip from and back to the truck with a backpack. But it would be cool to just keep riding and hit it in one swoop.

I am already thinking about that. I am going to rebuild the pump that was on it and am possibly going to mount it on the extra tank for either the reel or extra product.

SpreadNSpray
02-18-2009, 10:37 AM
Looks great! Love the hose reel. I agree would be really nice if it was positioned differently with a fold up handle so you could still go thru 3' gates. but the tank on the other side is already hanging out so it's a moot point for you.

I can hear 'spreadNsprays' gears turning. He was already working on a hose set-up for the magnums, for those of us who are too lazy or un-inventive to come up with our own.

Jason, It's done! I will start a new thread with some pics. As you know the Magnum's spray system shuts off at idle. I had to build a small pressurized bladder tank to run the wand. It needs to be tested so it's not for sale yet.

Jason Rose
02-18-2009, 12:16 PM
Jason, It's done! I will start a new thread with some pics. As you know the Magnum's spray system shuts off at idle. I had to build a small pressurized bladder tank to run the wand. It needs to be tested so it's not for sale yet.

Oh yeah, I never even thought about the pump not running at idle. duh... Sounds like you have an interesting solution.

robertsturf
01-01-2011, 08:06 PM
Selling my Perma Green Ultra 2005. Has 260 or so hrs. With all the pictured upgrades. Everything works, starter, pump, hose reel etc. I have used this since the photos were taken and it has really been a good machine. We are upgrading to a Z-Spray Intermedate so this one needs to go. Also selling a carrier rack for the Ultra that I have also improved with extra bracing and added lights for the signals and brakes. Perma Green is going for $2500.00 and the rack for $275.00. I prefer to sell as a package deal but might be persuaded for the right deal to separate. Trent Roberts 816-350-0886 or 816-590-7859. Will post new pics in the equipment section tomorrow.

grass4gas
01-02-2011, 02:00 PM
I have the centri. After looking at Robertsturf setup I like the way he has the shut off valves on top of the tank. Kinda/sorta works like a heads up display on your vehicle. This leads to my questions...

1. Since the centri (maybe the ultra also) has the upper and lower spray nozzles, and since I don't use or need the upper nozzles or the fill valve, do you "really" need 2 valves?

2. Can you utilize one valve to operate both bottom nozzles? I'm guessing you could, but don't know. That way, if you want to turn one side off, you would simply move the lever to what ever side you want off...does this make sense?

Maybe "indyturf" and "spreadandspray" have some thought on this as well.

Thanks

indyturf
01-02-2011, 02:47 PM
I have the centri. After looking at Robertsturf setup I like the way he has the shut off valves on top of the tank. Kinda/sorta works like a heads up display on your vehicle. This leads to my questions...

1. Since the centri (maybe the ultra also) has the upper and lower spray nozzles, and since I don't use or need the upper nozzles or the fill valve, do you "really" need 2 valves?

2. Can you utilize one valve to operate both bottom nozzles? I'm guessing you could, but don't know. That way, if you want to turn one side off, you would simply move the lever to what ever side you want off...does this make sense?

Maybe "indyturf" and "spreadandspray" have some thought on this as well.

Thanks

I'm sure you could do that! would be great for trimming . but I think you can turn one side off already?? been a month since I have been on the PG.... lol I have thought about putting a small hose reel or coil hose and using the valve for the upper nozzles.

grass4gas
01-02-2011, 03:10 PM
Indy,

You're right, you can turn one side off as it is set up. I want to relocate my valves to the top of the tank. If I can or need to only use one valve, that is what I'd like to do.

indyturf
01-02-2011, 05:16 PM
Indy,

You're right, you can turn one side off as it is set up. I want to relocate my valves to the top of the tank. If I can or need to only use one valve, that is what I'd like to do.

it would be nice to see the valves and be able to switch without getting off the pg. kinda like the valves on the Magnum

RigglePLC
01-02-2011, 09:27 PM
You guys are so right. The control valves need to be up on top Magnum style, bolted to the hopper or bolted to the metal just underneath the tank. It was really difficult when I was operating the valves with my feet. My Ultra is now sold.

And YES! One of the upper nozzles could be remounted and re-aimed to use as a trim nozzle 36 inches wide. Trim boom and wide boom--would be nice too--if Spread N Spray hasn't thought of it.

Does anyone know of a way to spin the impeller driving it off the big platter pulley?(You might have to move the hopper forward or the tranny back.) Has anyone found a way to power the pump with a belt instead of electric? If above two modifications were possible the motor could be replaced with an inexpensive new one, (with more power).