PDA

View Full Version : Do you want fries with that?

sandianderic
02-07-2009, 06:07 PM
Trying to do a little upselling this year, i.e., "strongly suggest" some of our services to our clients we've never really pushed before, such as aerating. We all know it's good, and I'd like to push that service along with some others this year to try to upsell a little. Thinking of purchasing an attachment for our ZTR but wondering if we could get it to pay for itself in a year's time. We live in CT. Anybody have any thoughts for pricing on this?

ed2hess
02-07-2009, 06:41 PM
When the economy is going in the tank people aren't going to be going for extra stuff...probably won't even fertilize any more.

lone wolf
02-07-2009, 06:41 PM
I bought a JRCO aerator just this past fall. I believe it cost $1,900. I about broke even. we charge $75 for a ave 10k square foot yard. It takes 30-45 minutes. Highly suggest getting 1. They are a lot better than a walk behing aerator.

Carolina Cuts
02-07-2009, 08:03 PM
When the economy is going in the tank people aren't going to be going for extra stuff...probably won't even fertilize any more.

just spoke to my customer down the street not 3 hours ago.... she told me TruGreen showed up while she was out, they fertilized and split. So when she came home, she called them and explained she does NOT have the extra money for fert. apps this year and canceled. An hour later they called her back, gave her 50% off her first application and then lowered all their other future applications to $25/app. Didn't know you could barter with Tru Green. :clapping:

Whitey4
02-07-2009, 08:36 PM
Upselling in this economy is still possible.... the people with jobs and money still have jobs and money. Having said that, upselling will require more effort.

I picked up an account in the fall last year. 5 year old sod... all rye grass. Well, the plants are getting old, and crabbgrass is starting to infest the lawn. Since rye is a clumping grass, it does age and weaken. It doesn't spread new growth the way blue and fescue does. Rye more than most other cool season grasses benefits quite a bit from annual aeration and overseeding, even if the germination rate is low. I already pre-sold aeration and overseeding to them for 2009.

It means more work to get more work. Selling more creatively, more customized sales approaches and increasing customer education helps. This year I will suggest more all-season annual plantings like heathers instead of seasonal plantings like cloreoptis.

Think about other alternatives, like real estate companies trying to sell unkempt pre-forclosure properties. They will often do low cost bed renovations to make the house show better.

Throwing ones hands up and admitting defeat is a sure way to be defeated. Think outside the box we all tend to get comfortable in. Every downturn offers an opportunity.

Damian
02-07-2009, 09:18 PM
Have you considered the cost of repairing sprinkler systems or anything else the customer may come to blame on the service?

I ask this out of not having experience myself and not as any kind of insult...

Damian
02-07-2009, 09:21 PM
Have you considered the cost of repairing sprinkler systems or anything else the customer may come to blame on the service?

mowerbrad
02-07-2009, 09:47 PM
Trying to push more services on your customers may work for you or not. It kind of depends on what your area is like. If your area has many people who have lost their job or are scared that they will lose their job, then upselling extra services may not go over so easy. Most people are trying to spend less and really trying to cut back. And lawn care is one area that is being cut back on because many people are thinking that they will just mow their lawns themselves this year and save $35 a week.

SNAPPER MAN
02-07-2009, 10:02 PM
I'm going to try to upsell all my customers this spring, going to try to push mulch especially. Even though the economy is bad im lucky to live in texas, its not to bad here. Why would you not try to upsell your customers, it never hurts to ask and all they can do is say no. So why not?

Exact Rototilling
02-08-2009, 11:56 PM

Never has happened to me....yet ;)

I aerated a fair amount of lawns with sprinklers last year. All sprinklers must be flagged period.

Since we've had such heavy snow fall again this year I expect to do a fair amount of dethatch / power rake aeration combos. Trust me don't try to talk people out of power raking if that's what they really want.

I will be offering an economy version of de-thatching this year for the happy home owner who wants to rake up their own piles of debris and save money. It will be favorably priced with renting a machine but mine is better than renting. payup

1.2.3. green
02-09-2009, 01:02 AM
just spoke to my customer down the street not 3 hours ago.... She told me trugreen showed up while she was out, they fertilized and split. So when she came home, she called them and explained she does not have the extra money for fert. Apps this year and canceled. An hour later they called her back, gave her 50% off her first application and then lowered all their other future applications to $25/app. Didn't know you could barter with tru green. :clapping:

trugreen has been doing this for quite a while now, not so much the economy, but their lousy service, people are canceling left and right and they are doing whatever it takes to keep them.a customer of trugreen ,which i now serve, was down to getting his 54,000 sq.ft. Lawn done for $75.00 per app