PDA

View Full Version : can you see the wrong part of this picture?

Hardscaping
02-08-2009, 02:19 AM
i was just looking at pictures on google of interlocking brick jobs and this popped up.

http://www.cattraxservices.com/spring2008-004.jpg

tell me if you think this is right or wrong and tell me why?

srl28
02-08-2009, 02:54 AM
Well, for one its not level or straight in the least but. Rarely see that pattern anymore, the occasional old do it yourselfer project that we tear out but nothing new is going down like that.

Summit L & D
02-08-2009, 02:55 AM
It's not level....AT ALL! The pattern isn't straight. And who knows how they installed the base....if any...

Hardscaping
02-08-2009, 03:50 AM
ok look closer there is a bigger problem then listed!

the interlock is going way up on the siding of the house. i don't know about where anybody else is from but when i learned about grading i was always told you had to stay so many inches down from the siding on the houses.

they just put the interlock right up to the siding and they did it in another picture on their site too.

DVS Hardscaper
02-08-2009, 12:52 PM
in this case, we can't be so sure that there isn't block or concrete behind that siding.

See, you seldom see siding start right at ground level as in the picture. usually there is a foundation that comes out of the ground and then the siding starts where the foundation ends. We have a community where they have siding covering the concrete foundations and the siding starts at ground level. In such a case, placing pavers over the siding is acceptable because there is no wood behind the siding.

Hardscaping
02-08-2009, 01:11 PM
good arguement i guess i just go with what i learned about the building code that there has to be like 6 inches of foundation showing.

PlatinumLandCon
02-08-2009, 01:17 PM
Its brutally unlevel and it has no soldier course.

I don't believe this guy posted this in his photo gallery.... http://www.cattraxservices.com/spring2008-005.jpg

STL Ponds and Waterfalls
02-08-2009, 04:40 PM

I don't believe this guy posted this in his photo gallery.... http://www.cattraxservices.com/spring2008-005.jpg

Solier course is not always needed. It would have looked nicer with one but there are times we don't use a SC. The restraint work is more of a pain though.

DVS Hardscaper
02-08-2009, 04:53 PM
Soldier courses is one of my pet peeves.

Sure a soldier couse looks nice, but, no, they're no always NEEDED. In my opinion, they are more for asthetics.

Some cars have pin stripes. Some Don't :)

Hardscaping
02-10-2009, 03:34 AM
Soldier courses is one of my pet peeves.

Sure a soldier couse looks nice, but, no, they're no always NEEDED. In my opinion, they are more for asthetics.

Some cars have pin stripes. Some Don't :)

Pet peeve or not you should have a border course on anything that has turns in it at least. in these pictures that is not the case and it is not a big deal.
the reason for the border course other than the obvious to look good is for when cutting the smaller pieces to fit in the curve walkways and or driveways they need something that will hold them in and have them lock into place when the jointing sand is placed into the joints.

this is because if you have a smaller piece and your edging is only going up so far you can easily chip of the edge of the trimmed brick.

tatmkr
02-12-2009, 09:40 AM
Personally I am a little annoyed by the 2' sidewalk created at the corner.:hammerhead:

Walsh
02-13-2009, 04:29 PM

The multiple pieces of conduit coming out of the building and the wires hanging everywhere add a nice touch to it as well.

DVS Hardscaper
02-13-2009, 05:40 PM
Pet peeve or not you should have a border course on anything that has turns in it at least. in these pictures that is not the case and it is not a big deal.
the reason for the border course other than the obvious to look good is for when cutting the smaller pieces to fit in the curve walkways and or driveways they need something that will hold them in and have them lock into place when the jointing sand is placed into the joints.

this is because if you have a smaller piece and your edging is only going up so far you can easily chip of the edge of the trimmed brick.

Well aware of the reasoning :) But not always a must have. In Europe (where cobbles and pavers are all over the place) you don't always see a formal soldier course.

Hardscaping
02-13-2009, 06:54 PM
Well aware of the reasoning :) But not always a must have. In Europe (where cobbles and pavers are all over the place) you don't always see a formal soldier course.

Well that is a good point. i wasn't arguing that you need them all the time just sometimes there is a must for them.