PDA

View Full Version : 2001 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins Questions?

kps2389
02-08-2009, 08:19 AM
I'm going to look at a 2001 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins today. I have never owned a diesel before and don't really know what to look for as far as possible problems. My friend who knows a lot about diesel trucks is going with me to look at it. I have heard possible tranny problems as with most Dodges. But is there anything else I should look for/ be concerned about? Thanks

WH401
02-08-2009, 08:56 AM
See if the prior owner has had a programmer on it, if the lift pump or VP44 fuel pump have been replaced, see if you can take it for a drive to see what kind of shape the front end and transmission are in. I'm sure more people will mention other things.

12Valve
02-08-2009, 11:04 PM
see how trans feels, check the front end especiall trackbar and ball joints, If you get the truck I would stongly recomed getting a Fuel Press guage and some kind of aftermarket lift pump.

South Florida Lawns
02-08-2009, 11:38 PM
Yeah test drive the thing first check the tranny fluid in it, look for rust. check the dash they crack badly for those years.

nosparkplugs
02-09-2009, 12:00 AM
I'm going to look at a 2001 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins today. I have never owned a diesel before and don't really know what to look for as far as possible problems. My friend who knows a lot about diesel trucks is going with me to look at it. I have heard possible tranny problems as with most Dodges. But is there anything else I should look for/ be concerned about? Thanks

I have rebuilt two Dodge transmissions, one Ford 4R100, too many GM tranny's over the years to even list, their all weak, and at the OEM tranny to engine torque limit, in stock form (low side) too, no margin for error. the A 518/618 47RE/48RE has gotten a bad rap. Actually the Dodge Diesel transmission is a 30 year old 727 Torqueflite on steriods with a diesel, lock-up TC, very well proven HD race tranny. I really don't know of any OEM automatic that could do any better behind a Cummins diesel. The Cummins torque band is brutally low, and tough on the OEM torque converter, forward drum & band. Once you rebuild these Dodge transmissions get the OEM friction & steel modules out, new VB programming/Transgo shift kit, and triple billet Torque converter their bulletproof for towing, and will eat other trucks for lunch all day long:clapping:.

Suncoast transmission offers a trick GM Duramax to Dodge 47RE Duraflite transmission conversion for hardcore Duramax owners whom want to ditch the Allison 1000 for a better aftermarket Dodge 47RE duraflite transmission rebuild

The Transmission is an easy fix IMO, the Cummins is what you after:waving:

Make sure it has no slipping from a stop, and shifts through all gears. In stock form the 47RE should still make you:) when you step on it:laugh:. If the seller is smart he will have changed the transmission fluid:laugh:, and so you will have to go buy the feel of the tranny.

Gravel Rat
02-09-2009, 02:16 AM
I would say if its had a plow or a gooseneck hitch or it currently has some sort of power enhancer start looking for another truck.

It is a Dodge so your taking a chance in buying one anyhow :laugh: